• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New VW Warranty

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sucks for us with 2017's that just had a 2/24K

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Yeah, it does suck for you guys. However, I take the news two ways. One, maybe they feel they need to do it to sell more cars. Two, a bit of a leap of faith but perhaps the opinion is that the build quality and components are so good that VW isn't giving much away with this. Buyers win.

Seems like their cars are SO much better in that respect that 10-15 years ago. Have had a lot of VW's over many years, and the bad years were ugly. Had a W8 Passat Wagon. The dealer threw in a 100K warranty. Luckily. We also had an early Toureag, for four months.

VW is building great cars these days. This new warranty is something that I'd pay attention to. Of course I'm more of a CPO buyer these days, and looking for that 100K warranty.

Good move by VW.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Sucks for us with 2017's that just had a 2/24K

I didn't think ANYONE was less than 3/36k :eek:
I find it hard to believe in the current competitive marketplace that anything less than 5/60k is on the table. The car will
make it that far! But with the 'green' paid scheduled maintenance these days, you damn well better be trading it in then or doing PROPER fluid changes from the beginning.

scott43

Skier
Honda had a 2 year warranty for a long time..up to 3 years now. They used to say, it's because our cars are so good you don't need a warranty! Haha! Meanwhile, Mitsu is out there with a 10 year warranty and they can't give them away..

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Might be a 3/36...I forget.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's 3/36.

Screenshot_20170930-144757.png

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have had a lot of VW's over many years, and the bad years were ugly. Had a W8 Passat Wagon. The dealer threw in a 100K warranty. Luckily. We also had an early Toureag, for four months.

Not to mention the squareback with no heat you drove. ogsmile

Was just looking at VW's today...the Atlas looks awfully nice.

Muleski

Inactive
That was a true classic. Ate a rod right after graduation and a JC Witney rebuild kit rescued her. July 4th weekend project with Dad. Only car I ever needed a scraper to handle inside the windshield!

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After surviving your VW, I had a house mate in grad school with another. Sent him this recently:

brent 004.JPG

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
My certified used ("pre-owned" is the term of art) Tiguan came with a lifetime power train warranty, so long as you change the oil every ten thousand miles. (My mechanic scoffs at 10,000 miles — he put us at five. Suits him, of course, but I feel better at five.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My certified used ("pre-owned" is the term of art) Tiguan came with a lifetime power train warranty, so long as you change the oil every ten thousand miles. (My mechanic scoffs at 10,000 miles — he put us at five. Suits him, of course, but I feel better at five.)
10K is common on many news cars because of the higher tollerences and synthetic oils. I still have trouble accepting it too. The Yukon and Miata, we use dino and do those every 5K though.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
It could be I'm getting screwed, but my mechanic was a VW service manager for a few years, and he trained with Porsche. Don't know.

On the other hand, the time I forgot to get the oil changed, and thought I'd blown the warranty, only to find out he had me on a five thousand mile schedule, I was happy. Better safe than sorry. ogsmile

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It could be I'm getting screwed, but my mechanic was a VW service manager for a few years, and he trained with Porsche. Don't know.

On the other hand, the time I forgot to get the oil changed, and thought I'd blown the warranty, only to find out he had me on a five thousand mile schedule, I was happy. Better safe than sorry. ogsmile
There is a belief that you can't change the oil too much so, you do have that going for you. ;) .

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Tacoma, when it was young, would have clean oil after 12,000 miles. It is now 20 years old and has never had a repair, never needed any oil added. Oil can be tough stuff to break down. I spent a good part of my career drilling for oil which is 488,000,000 years old and still has good viscosity.

Muleski

Inactive
My Tacoma, when it was young, would have clean oil after 12,000 miles. It is now 20 years old and has never had a repair, never needed any oil added. Oil can be tough stuff to break down. I spent a good part of my career drilling for oil which is 488,000,000 years old and still has good viscosity.

That's a great perspective. Interesting. I tend to run "good fluids" in our vehicles, but it's amazing how good the old oil looks when I change it. We've had three Lancruisers and latest almost 15 years old, and a baby mileage wise, at 140K. Knock on wood....all good.

Son has a 2002 Tacoma. That truck just impresses me to no end. He bought it in 2008, with about 60K miles. It's been across the country at least a dozen times. I think he has about 250K on it. Last time I saw it, it looked new. Has no hint of needing a clutch. Blows me away how many miles he gets out of a set of rotors and pads. He has upgraded and upsized to Tundra front brakes. He plans on running it as long as he can. One of his coach buddies just topped 500K on his.

Son is good about changing fluids and filters, but doesn't get worked up if he's overdue. He's done two timing belts himself, a water pump. He jokes that he and the truck have a good relationship. Truck is not needy.

He has just sold his GF's Subie Outback, a 2006 3.0, which has been real needy. Pretty much the opposite, particularly as miles added up. List of "unexpected" things is off the charts.
It might have been a bad one. Maybe not.

But interesting to see the maintenance cost, build quality and "durability" of one versus the other.

He's convinced that the Tacoma would run on anything for gas, and would take a fair amount of neglect. A lot.

It might be the generation of Japanese vehicles. My kids crack up at a story that I tell about a woman who worked for me, and her Camry. This is 1992. We're having a weekly team meeting, and she is late. Never late. She comes in, apologizes and says that she had to drop the car off "for some service."

I joke that she never seems to do anything to the car. She explains that she bought it new, and brought it back as they recommended at 1K miles to change the oil. They told her it would take an hour, and it took four. Before Wifi, etc. So, being a smart woman she just NEVER took it back.

Now at 100K. No oil changes, no fluids, no brakes, obviously no filters and no things like spark plugs. Nothin'. She would start it, it ran, and all good. What brought her in was some brake noise. Later learned it was pretty much metal on metal.

I just had to give her a ride back at the end of the day. Just too curious. Now, she has a great personality and people like her, so this could be fun.

The service guys were equally good guys. And they had some fun with this. They replaced her oil pan {and did not charge her}, and they showed us the pan and about and inch and a half of crud solidly built up on it. They showed us a filter that had pretty much blown apart, so that oil could flow through it. The plugs were actually pretty good. You get the drill. They wanted to save this all as examples of how not to do it.

As she left, she said "See you in another 100K miles." I think she made it more like every 20K. She got rid of it when she wanted a Jeep, or maybe an Explorer, and it had 150K or so on it when traded. No service records. HaHa!

Some more "simple" vehicles of a decade plus ago just seemed to be able to take some hard use. And yeah, oil is tough stuff, IMO.

Still a believer that frequent fluid and filter changes are key. Cheap insurance.

Pretty interesting Tacoma on Bring a Trailer right now. 2002, 53K miles. Automatic. If it were a stick, could be very interesting.

They just keep on running. Pretty good reason that you see so many in ski country!

scott43

Skier
It's important to note that some vehicles do require synthetic for various reasons. The 2.5 Toyota engine and the 1.8T VW engine for instance both had sludging issues in the head passages if you used regular oil because of heat. VW eventually mandated synthetic or else you'd void the warranty. Toyota did a redesign I believe. The higher heat resistance is something to consider if you're in extreme conditions frequently. Many manufacturers are now mandating synthetic. At the end of the day, less oil goes down the drain..

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember when Mobil came out with Mobil1, the first synthetic oil. My uncle worked for Mobil and told me that every race car you see was running it, in spite of the advertising on the sides for something else. At the same time, mechanics were telling me it would destroy the motor. My uncle was a chemical engineer from Cornell, who eventually became president of the company, so I figured he might be right.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I had a 2008 Tacoma and had the same results with the oil. I started changing the oil (full synthetic) every 15000 and it was still amber colored and you could still see through it. I sold the truck at 80000 for almost what I paid for it. (big mistake !)

Sponsor

Staff online