• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New VW Warranty

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Tacoma. Our son has a 2002, that really is mint, at 250K miles. He's done some neat things to it. For example the crapy cloth seats left it, and it has leather Recarros that came out of an Audi TT. Very nice stereo. Tundra brakes. Every part that has needed to be replaced is OEM or better. He bought the truck in 2008 with 75K miles. He's been offered more than he paid for it. most recently a month ago. The think runs like a top. It's not going anywhere.

So our daughter has a car that is in high demand, where she lives, and she's thinking about selling it before it "becomes a Diva." She lives in a mountain town. She was talking to me the other day, and mentioned that she had been discussing this with her older brother. His recommendation is a used {lightly} Tacoma, set up the right way. Her original comment to him was 'I don't know if I'll want a truck for more than a couple of years." His comeback was not to worry, if she buys right, which he'll help with, and she takes care of it as she does with vehicles, she will probably not lose a dime.

They are not for everybody, but bought right, they can be pretty remarkable.

We're long term, multi vehicle Land Cruiser owners. Same thing. Bought right, they depreciate at an incredibly slow pace. I would NEVER by a new one. No chance.

And same thing with the oil. Now change it every 10K, myself, and it looks perfect. So you think "why are we doing this". I've had some old analysis done, and knock on wood, all good. The last one had 250ishK mile son it, and ran like a top.

Today's synthetics are pretty remarkable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are running synthetic in the VW because it requires it...any thoughts on switching the Miata and Ykon XL over? Both have 100K-ish miles.

Muleski

Inactive
I have switched a few cars over and never regretted it. I was advised that a good oil to use was good old Mobil One, which I have run in three LandCruisers, about 700K with zero oil use. 10K intervals.

I switched over a S6 {the 5 cyl AAN} and used a more "sexy" oil. Motul. again, great for almost 200K miles. The guy who worked on the S6 was German, and had a love in with Motul.

I don't think there is a downside to making the change, at all. Did in make a big change in these cars? Dunno. Sure didn't hurt.

Curent cars have synthetic fluids in the transfer cases, the differentials, etc. Seems to be all good.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Tacoma. Our son has a 2002, that really is mint, at 250K miles. He's done some neat things to it. For example the crapy cloth seats left it, and it has leather Recarros that came out of an Audi TT. Very nice stereo. Tundra brakes. Every part that has needed to be replaced is OEM or better. He bought the truck in 2008 with 75K miles. He's been offered more than he paid for it. most recently a month ago. The think runs like a top. It's not going anywhere.

So our daughter has a car that is in high demand, where she lives, and she's thinking about selling it before it "becomes a Diva." She lives in a mountain town. She was talking to me the other day, and mentioned that she had been discussing this with her older brother. His recommendation is a used {lightly} Tacoma, set up the right way. Her original comment to him was 'I don't know if I'll want a truck for more than a couple of years." His comeback was not to worry, if she buys right, which he'll help with, and she takes care of it as she does with vehicles, she will probably not lose a dime.

They are not for everybody, but bought right, they can be pretty remarkable.

We're long term, multi vehicle Land Cruiser owners. Same thing. Bought right, they depreciate at an incredibly slow pace. I would NEVER by a new one. No chance.

And same thing with the oil. Now change it every 10K, myself, and it looks perfect. So you think "why are we doing this". I've had some old analysis done, and knock on wood, all good. The last one had 250ishK mile son it, and ran like a top.

Today's synthetics are pretty remarkable.

I just can't reach that far with oil changes. I've done oil analysis and all that but here's the problem. The oil is dirty. Internal combustion engines produce a lot of crap and the oil is designed to keep it in suspension. That part is good. But on passenger car engines the oil filters bypass a good deal of oil, plus the level of filtration is fairly high in size micron wise. The race car folks use high capacity, small micron non-bypassing external filtration, and for good reason. So my synthetic changes will stay @ the 5k interval, to get the damn dirt out. It's still cheap insurance even @ $50+ a change. My transmissions, transaxles and differentials all receive 30k service with Redline synthetic.

Muleski

Inactive
The only vehicle that I'm at 10K with is the Landcruiser. No indication that I need to move it back.

I'm a bit of a nut about filters, too. In terms of the quality. I buy a lot from a source in Tokyo.

Other cars are a max of a 5K interval. Daughter's Outback XT is a touch over 3K. Three every 10K miles. The math is then easier on the trans, TC and diff. It drives her nuts at time because "none of my friends have such a control freak dad." Maybe that's why people keep leaving notes on the car, wanting to buy it!

I'm right with you on the Redline and the 30K. That brand fluid has been used in all of our diff's, transfer cases and the manual trans.

I'm such a believer in the "insurance" that I do a drain and fill on our alleged lifetime auto trans cars, every 30K.

I'm a long time believer, too. I think it's good insurance!

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Other cars are a max of a 5K interval. Daughter's Outback XT is a touch over 3K. Three every 10K miles. The math is then easier on the trans, TC and diff. It drives her nuts at time because "none of my friends have such a control freak dad." Maybe that's why people keep leaving notes on the car, wanting to buy it!

People keep leaving notes on it because you can no longer buy an Outback with a decent engine, unless you pony up to the 3.6R price point.

For all their marketing genius, Subaru is really missing the boat on this, IMO.

Muleski

Inactive
People keep leaving notes on it because you can no longer buy an Outback with a decent engine, unless you pony up to the 3.6R price point.

For all their marketing genius, Subaru is really missing the boat on this, IMO.

Yep. A relatively low mileage XT, in the right color, in mint condition with a fully booked service history and no issues, is almost a unicorn in mountain towns at elevation. It's a tough call as to whether to keep it for a few years, or take advantage of how much of a premium people will pay. She loves it, so will probably keep it.

It's a very different car than a current Outback, 3.6R. Smaller, quicker, better driver. Very different engine. The newer Forester XT, with the 2.5L turbo is pretty popular. No chance of my daughter driving a Forester. Not in her wheelhouse. when we have this "maybe I should sell my car" conversation, she pretty much concludes that she loves her car and nothing else out there in her price range really comes close.

So, she's giving it a ton of care.

Sponsor

Staff online