• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Z Car

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First drive reviews are coming in:

Like @nay, I'll be eagerly awaiting the Infinity 4-door iteration.

But, since there will never be a sportwagon option, I suspect my wallet is safe!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The Nissan twin turbo v6 is an amazing engine. Even the 3L in the Q50 is just superb. So smooth and so much power.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Happy Z day! The embargo on driving impressions and pricing is over.

The base model looks super attractive at that price. Yes, it's missing an LSD and bigger brakes and wheels, but $10K goes a LONG way buying aftermarket upgrades, though I'd probably be happy with the base model stock for quite a while. I wish I could buy stock in Z1 Motorsports. They are going to make a killing selling upgrades.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some great videos show the Z's straight-line performance.

Versus the competition:

And, verses the 370Z (the new Z is much faster):

The new Z is plenty fast enough for me. It looks fantastic. I can't wait to see one in person. I need to figure out how to put two kids in it. :ogbiggrin:

djetok

Low Lander
Skier

Versus the competition:

The new Z is plenty fast enough for me. It looks fantastic. I can't wait to see one in person. I need to figure out how to put two kids in it. :ogbiggrin:
It did ok vs the mach1 and Supra. The manual was 2 tenths slower. I watched the vid yesterday while heavily medicated. Did say it was the same 9 spd out of the merc

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Versus the competition:

Wow, look at the size of it compared to the Mustang and Supra.

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Controversially, the chassis carryovers from ye olde 370Z..."

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I think it's just the rear view that makes it look so large. Pretty sure the Z is between the Supra and Mustang in terms of size.

1652729441152.png

Here's a fantastic video from Savagegeese, showing why they're my favorite youtube channel. Great to see Nissan gave the access allowing them to produce such amazing content:

Edit: Super happy to hear in that video they like the new electronic steering better than the old hydraulic. That was a huge concern, as the electronic steering in the Q50 doomed the car (and the Infiniti brand) when it was introduced in 2014. I hated the Q50's steering every time I had a loaner and would never buy one as a result. Thankfully the 370Z on the same platform kept the fantastic hydraulic steering the whole time, and the new Z seems to fix their electronic steering woes finally.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

From an overall dimensions standpoint:

2023 Nissan Z: 172.4" L x 72.6" W x 51.8" H

2022 Toyota Supra: 173″ L x 73″ W x 51″ H

2022 Ford Mustang Mach 1: 188″ L x 75″ W x 54″ H

James

Out There
Instructor
Well it seems pretty fun.
Never been in love with the roof line plunging steeply from the drivers head back from the “recent” Z’s. But given that, I like the styling.
How many more rwd internal combustion sports cars in this price range will be built? Prob not many.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Base Z version with larger, lighter wheels and better tires along with a tune and it would be reasonably priced rocket! A mild ecu tune along with basic upgrades(intake/exhaust) should get the Z over 500hp and you’d still be thousands cheaper than the Performance version.

AMS Performance who have the insanely powerful Alpha line of GTRs engine stages have been talking for over a year that their goal is to make 1000hp on the new Z engine. Think they have a Z coming into the shop soon and then engine upgrades will quickly follow.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Happy Z day! The embargo on driving impressions and pricing is over.

The base model looks super attractive at that price. Yes, it's missing an LSD and bigger brakes and wheels, but $10K goes a LONG way buying aftermarket upgrades, though I'd probably be happy with the base model stock for quite a while. I wish I could buy stock in Z1 Motorsports. They are going to make a killing selling upgrades.
Well, I could be happy with 18" wheels, and some people don't care about a better radio and fancy seats, but no LSD??? WTF? Put down the crack pipe.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"Controversially, the chassis carryovers from ye olde 370Z..."

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Honestly I have no problem with this. Sure the bones are the same, but incremental improvements are often better than clean sheet redesigns.

Reference innumerable redesigned BMWs.....

And 11% more torsional stiffness and 24% more body rigidity in the new Z are nothing to sneeze at.

My biggest beef is that you have to pony up $10k extra to get rev matching. I haven't owned a stick in so long that I'd be embarrassed to even attempt heel and toeing. :geek:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah, a 37 ounce! (When my son was in kindergarten, he proudly pointed out a car name that he read, a 35 ounce! I was really confused but then realized it was a 350Z ... I didn't even know where he learned the abbreviation for "ounce" but I always think of it when I see the old Nissan/even Datsun Zs).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ah, a 37 ounce! (When my son was in kindergarten, he proudly pointed out a car name that he read, a 35 ounce! I was really confused but then realized it was a 350Z ... I didn't even know where he learned the abbreviation for "ounce" but I always think of it when I see the old Nissan/even Datsun Zs).
Did he notice the 750il?? :ogbiggrin:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like @nay, I'll be eagerly awaiting the Infinity 4-door iteration.
I think you might be thinking of me, not @nay. :) I'm the almost 20-year G35 Sedan owner.

I've been posting over here (mods feel free to merge if it makes sense):

Hard to imagine Infiniti won't have a version or three of the new Z (sedan, coupe, sporty SUV). We'll see. They need to do something to save the company. Bringing over the manual and making the 400hp engine ubiquitous should do the trick.

When I bought my car it was beating the 3-series in comparisons at a lower price point for a couple of years. Seems like that's achievable if they put their minds to it (and the manual). Might as well leverage the investment in the Z.

Last edited:
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

MODS any chance of merging the threads?

This car deserves its own thread IMO.

Calling @Andy Mink?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I think you might be thinking of me, not @nay. :) I'm the almost 20-year G35 Sedan owner.

Hard to imagine Infiniti won't have a version or three of the new Z (sedan, coupe, sporty SUV). We'll see. They need to do something to save the company. Bringing over the manual and making the 400hp engine ubiquitous should do the trick.

When I bought my car it was beating the 3-series in comparisons at a lower price point for a couple of years. Seems like that's achievable if they put their minds to it (and the manual). Might as well leverage the investment in the Z.
My fam gave me a run a Pikes Peak International Raceway in a Porsche GT3 last June (race a supercar series), and I was fast (downhill brains look ahead and make good racetrack drivers) and smoked the poor dude in a Lambo in front of me (he had to pull over), so I’ll take the cred here :P.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My fam gave me a run a Pikes Peak International Raceway in a Porsche GT3 last June (race a supercar series)

If it was green, you have fulfilled one of my car fantasies!

Sponsor

Staff online