• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern MN ski

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, since it looks like travel might not be a thing this season, I am looking harder at skis for around here.
Here is my background:
  • 6’5”, 175lbs
  • intermediate? Skier, only been skiing for about 8 years, limited lessons
  • have skied wide skis the last several years (105mm)
And the use case:
Spirit Mtn: short hill. Mellow grade. Low speed. Would like to carve short turns and make that fun.
Lutsen: Taller. Has short steep icy pitches, more grip would be nice there. Has longer runs, but they alternate between decent pitches and near flat benches, where you want to maintain speed with wide, gentle carves.
Snow can be very variable, with icy, slushy, grabby or piles, all in one run.
If it is truly soft(fresh snow or spring slush) I’ll use my wider all mountain skis.

So, what does the Pugskitalk say? Go more mellow and forgiving? Or demanding and aggressive, sink or swim idea?
What types of skis and sizes , and why?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My wheel house. :)

Liberty V82 V76, but I would move up to V82.
Head Rally
Get the Head Titans or the Fischers
Volkl Deacon
Renoun Z90 is really the ideal pair if you can find a good used pair.
Nordica Doberman 80

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, since it looks like travel might not be a thing this season ........ Go more mellow and forgiving? Or demanding and aggressive, sink or swim idea?
What types of skis and sizes , and why?
Not traveling far may mean more money for toys .... get both mellow and forgiving and also demanding and agressive. pick the pair to match your feeling of the day ;)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
My wheel house. :)

Liberty V82 V76, but I would move up to V82.
Head Rally
Get the Head Titans or the Fischers
Völkl Deacon
Renoun Z90 is really the ideal pair if you can find a good used pair.
Nordica Doberman 80
I agree with the Head Rally and Titian both very fine skis. I own the Rally and have skied on the Titian a few times. No experience with the others but the Renoun has a great reputation, although maybe the Z77 might be a quicker turning ski for an intermediate.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And looking at Nordica, Blizzard, Fischer, K2, Volkl or Salomon, since they are in our shop here.

My thought size size: groomer ski cares more about your weight than your height, plus using them on shorter hills, means I go shorter, rather than longer size size. ~175cm.
Does that make sense or do you guys suggest a different height?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight , which Fischers are you talking about?

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... although maybe the Z77 might be a quicker turning ski for an intermediate.

To clarify, it’s ok if they don’t turn quickly without skill. Here in town, a challenge like that:“let’s make these skis turn quickly”, would actually be fun and interesting.
At Lutsen, quick turning would be fun, but not required.

So that is one question I was wondering about: what would help me develop technique more: a more forgiving ski or a more precise ski?

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
My carvers are 168-180. I'm 6' and 215lbs. Pretty much any "carver" in those lines will work. :)

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
And looking at Nordica, Blizzard, Fischer, K2, Völkl or Salomon, since they are in our shop here.

Purchase any of their frontside skis and you will be set. I believe in a more precise ski, with frontside, that is your goal.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Curvs
Which Curve, they have several skis with Curve in their name?
2414267D-2C2F-4C9A-94B4-8B516EA80B39.jpeg

One reason I am asking this, is the darn confusing names of frontside skis.
Why do they do this? It’s all letters and dashes and slashes. What’s wrong with actual names?

@Philpug,(or others) what is the (general) difference between Salomon S/Force and S/Max?

@Dwight I think, in general, you are right. Each ski will have pro’s and con’s, and will be fun somewhere.

What I hope to get from the ski talk braintrust, is avoid purchasing something that is:
  • Only fun at speed: a big reason for this is trying to make Spirit Mountain fun ( I’m to old and too tall for the terrain park)
  • So aggressive, that the moment I make a mistake, or get distracted (at Lutsen), I crash
  • So easy going, that it is no more fun on the groomers than my all mountain skis.

Attachments

• 62846BF8-F8B7-413F-A7F8-5CB6F48913F4.jpeg
    62846BF8-F8B7-413F-A7F8-5CB6F48913F4.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Which Curve, they have several skis with Curve in their name?

One reason I am asking this, is the darn confusing names of frontside skis.
Why do they do this? It’s all letters and dashes and slashes. What’s wrong with actual names?

@Philpug,(or others) what is the (general) difference between Salomon S/Force and S/Max?
Width mostly, the S/Max is a narrower ski..also not brought into the country thhis season, that is why I didn't suggest it. If you can find some on clearance..a great option.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and Gripwalk compatible bindings would be a plus. I do have DIN soles on my boots at the moment, but thinking of future compatibility, Gripwalk would be a big boon.

In other words, a ski would need to be much better overal to skip the Gripwalk bindings

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of frontsides come with system bindings already, with Gripwalk.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot of frontsides come with system bindings already, with Gripwalk.
Yep, I had noticed that. Just that as I was reading some of cage matches or individual reviews I noticed that a few models didn‘t so I thought I’d better mention it.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
To clarify, it’s ok if they don’t turn quickly without skill. Here in town, a challenge like that:“let’s make these skis turn quickly”, would actually be fun and interesting.
At Lutsen, quick turning would be fun, but not required.

So that is one question I was wondering about: what would help me develop technique more: a more forgiving ski or a more precise ski?
The Rally is a more forgiving ski than the Titan, I can ski the Rally all day, (at age 73) but the Titan will be a ski it in the morning only ski for me. The Titan is more demanding and is 80-81 under foot, the Rally is 76 under foot and is SO much fun to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online