• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

old automated VHS-C camcorder for recording skiing

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
VHS-C-camcorder1.jpg

With the current "Personal Video" thread as a reminder, just went into the dusty back of storage cabinet and pulled out an old pack I used to occasionally carry stuff like my 35mm film camera or this camcorder. In the late 80's, owned this VHS-C camcorder that had a unique function that if it was powered off while in the RECORD mode, and then was later powered back on, it would immediately return to continue recording. As a hardware electronics career person, I designed and built this circuit board that controlled a solenoid attached to the camcorder Power-On switch to power the camcorder back on after a variable time delay. Thus while looking at my wristwatch, would set up my camera atop a light tripod next to a convenient tree below a slope I would ski. Would configure the time delay for enough time to ski down to a lift, travel back up to the top, and then ski to the point I would ski down. So would be waiting up on top of a slope till the camera was supposed to start and then would ski down and back to the camcorder. Used a cable with combo lock around trees that went through part of the camera body so it would not be stolen. Over years made lots of videos, mostly at Kirkwood.

In this era, my old VHS VCR's have long been sent to dumpsters. Thus this is reminding me to bring my old tapes to a VHS to digital format conversion service of which this area has a few. Also need to work on further setting up my Google Youtube account that I also have tons of recent era digital short nature videos for. So eventually may post a few ancient ski recordings herein. More importantly since a few months ago bought a GoPro Hero 8 Black, will need to get Youtube set up. Have already mounted the GoPro helmet mounts so may make my first recording this coming week.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In this era, my old VHS VCR's have long been sent to dumpsters. Thus this is reminding me to bring my old tapes to a VHS to digital format conversion service of which this area has a few....

FWIW, you can find dozens on the shelf at Goodwill, $5 each. I bought 3 (to make sure I had a good one) for my project to digitize all my old family videos. I used an inexpensive gizmo, Diamond VC500 , $35, plugs into the analog outputs of the VCR and into the USB of your computer. Playback the tape and it creates an mpg file.

Now to the editing stage, where judging by what I saw playing back my 100+ hours of home video, I should be able to condense that to about 20 minutes of interesting content (!) LOL

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Thanks teejaywhy for quickly pointing me in that direction instead of using a service. I still have a VHS recorder so need to find the manual, make sure it still works, and then buy one of several cheap converter products to get it into mp-4. Like many I also still have a box full of dusty VHS movie tapes including several ski ones like Blizzard of Ahhs, so this will be a good rainy day task.

Sponsor

Staff online