• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Never-Ending Peak By Bode Miller Skis Discussion Thread

James

Out There
Instructor
do.”

Miller said the skis featuring the holed plate allowed him to focus his power on that precise point in front of his bindings and turn as if he were wearing hockey skates.

“I won Sölden, and if you go back and watch, I was arcing every left-footed turn. I was 100 percent clean. On a steep pitch, I knew exactly where that grip was, just in front of my binding. I could pivot and know just where I was pushing my ski. I could slide. I could make the correction. I won by a second in that race. The reason was that ski had that grip point. No other ski at that time did.”
As I recall, the big innovation there was arcing the left footers and sliding the right footers. Because you couldn’t do both and stay in. He’s talked about that in the past including having much more base bevel on the left edges to allow sliding the right footers. That may have been the big start to stivots, I don’t know.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have to say, the Augment 88 is a hell of a great ski. Yes, skied it and hill rep for a major brand. That said, it's not for everyone.
Realize it’s off topic but cane yiou share more thoughts?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We've tried this at least twice already. If anyone was actually interested in what sort of ski would come out if Bode was given a lot of design influence, they could have bought a Bomber or Crosson.
Not sure. WE knew about them here, but in the scheme of things they were so low profile as to be practically non-existent from the pov of the skiing public.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As I recall, the big innovation there was arcing the left footers and sliding the right footers. Because you couldn’t do both and stay in. He’s talked about that in the past including having much more base bevel on the left edges to allow sliding the right footers. That may have been the big start to stivots, I don’t know.

OK, right now my absolute dearest fantasy ski builder league pick would be Bode at Anton.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not sure. WE knew about them here, but in the scheme of things they were so low profile as to be practically non-existent from the pov of the skiing public.
That's still the barrier they face. The sort of people who will be first aware of Peak skis already have more skis than they can use or are used to getting skis for free/cheap. One wonders what the proform will need to be to get them out and seen on the hills and what the practical marketing execution will actually be. It takes a while to establish a brand and one senses Bode doesn't have infinite patience. In such a case one thing might be to do a grand tour roadshow with Bode front and centre at the demo tent, going out for laps with the public, raffling off a pair at après etc - something that gets them on peoples' feet and a bit of stoke so they brag to friends and colleagues about it. Would Bode have the time to do that sort of grassroots development? Or will the gameplan be to buy/deserve a few best of test accolades in the likes of Outside or Ski mag and call it good?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've listened to podcasts with Bode a few times. Without a doubt, he's very intelligent and has some ideas that can be a game-changer. He kinda of remind me of Musk. Bode is trying to change ski manufacturing from ground up.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
He'll have exactly the same issue this time around.

But really, my point was directed at people in this thread saying how interested they were in Bode's ski designs. They've had at least two companies they could have bought skis that Bode worked on from already. I could be totally off base here, but my bet is that they didn't buy any of those skis, and they most likely won't buy these either.

Reactions: tch

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
He'll have exactly the same issue this time around.

But really, my point was directed at people in this thread saying how interested they were in Bode's ski designs. They've had at least two companies they could have bought skis that Bode worked on from already. I could be totally off base here, but my bet is that they didn't buy any of those skis, and they most likely won't buy these either.
Damn sure not at the retail price he's asking.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Would be cool to know where are they making the skis and the quality of the fit/finish and tune.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From the Crosson thread, it looked like the Dissenters were made at Utopia in Quebec, but final QC, grind, and tune was done in-house on their robotic machines.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Would be cool to know where are they making the skis and the quality of the fit/finish and tune.

Seems like I've seen several very clear references to being built in a 10,000 square foot factory in Bozeman.

Will dig it up, and post back later, though I'd be thrilled if somebody beat me to it....

And my biggest question is not whether Bode has the chops to help design and engineer a ski, but whether or not he has ANY ability to do so for the "everyman skier". When I used to race dirt bikes pretty successfully, I got to ride two bikes raced by real pros. They felt like bucking broncos.

Because I wasn't going fast enough, and I never would be!!!!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Seems like I've seen several very clear references to being built in a 10,000 square foot factory in Bozeman.

Will dig it up, and post back later, though I'd be thrilled if somebody beat me to it....

And my biggest question is not whether Bode has the chops to help design and engineer a ski, but whether or not he has ANY ability to do so for the "everyman skier". When I used to race dirt bikes pretty successfully, I got to ride two bikes raced by real pros. They felt like bucking broncos.

Because I wasn't going fast enough, and I never would be!!!!

This should clear it up.
Skis being built in Slovenia.
Eventually built some in Bozeman.
Based on how they are describing use of the 10,000 SF in Bozeman…..that space will get eaten up quickly.

PS. Niece and husband live in Bozeman. She knows Bode, BTW. One of her coaches was a real close friend of his…met him that way. She’s a bit younger.
She sent me the article.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

Yes. They have been building quality skis there for 70 years. It is big, and they build many skis for many brands.
My son was a fully comped Elan athlete years ago, for two years and the build quality and consistency of his skis {their top stock} was outstanding. Assume they can build anything.

Sponsor

Staff online