• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On-bike mud scrapers?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does anyone know of a workable solution? Perhaps using the fender/mudguard eyelets?

After having about 3" of packed clay and .75" gravel stones wedge itself into the back side of my fork bridge after riding across runoff silt on "paved" trails, this is something that is rather called for.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My fork took a beating after that race. Or rigid fenders that act as scrapers. I saw quite a few mangled fenders in the mud.. best laid plans and all that..

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does anyone know of a workable solution? Perhaps using the fender/mudguard eyelets?

After having about 3" of packed clay and .75" gravel stones wedge itself into the back side of my fork bridge after riding across runoff silt on "paved" trails, this is something that is rather called for.

I believe you are fully capable of making something like this yourself:

1683234599752.png

If not, like this:

1683234678513.png

:roflmao:

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I believe you are fully capable of making something like this yourself:

I am. Also fully capable of knowing how useless that is.

Yeh, too thick. Go look at the sort of wires potters use to cut items off the wheel. And then we need some sort of struts to hold the cutter below 9 o'clock position.

Nowhere nearly as trivial as you think :D We're talking about stuff that wrecks forks and destroys metal mudguards.

I can see you've never ridden in muddy sticky gravel. ^That would have been destroyed in about 30 seconds.

I already have something like that on the bike that is much more durable - the chainstay bridge and the fork bridge.

Now imagine about two fists' worth of concreted aggregate, clay with embedded rocks, punching into both the chainstay bridge and the fork bridge, wedging itself into that space.

Enough to stop the wheel rolling completely from like 15mph. Enough to rip V-brakes off.

I think the fork is still OK. But it was a near thing.

If your solution can't cut through what is essentially wet concrete, it's not a solution.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeh, too thick. Go look at the sort of wires potters use to cut items off the wheel. And then we need some sort of struts to hold the cutter below 9 o'clock position.

Nowhere nearly as trivial as you think :D

I can see you've never ridden in muddy gravel. ^That would have been destroyed in about 30 seconds.

I already have something like that on the bike that is much more durable - the chainstay bridge and the fork bridge.

Now imagine about two fists of concreted aggregate, clay with embedded rocks, punching into both the chainstay bridge and the fork bridge, wedging itself into that space.

Enough to stop the wheel rolling completely from like 15mph. Enough to rip V-brakes off.

I think the fork is still OK. But it was a near thing.

If your solution can't cut through what is essentially wet concrete, it's not a solution.

Excuses,excuses. I am giving you the general strategy. Local tactics is up to you, general.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think the strategy I am going with next time on my bike is narrower tires - at least some of the rocks will have a chance to get flung off.

No idea what I will do on my nephew's bike.

This is after the second wash - 6 liters of pressurised water later - there was still ~300g of rock trapped in the brakes and bridge:

1683236982547.png

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Y'know, we used to have a solution for a similar problem. Actually came on some new bikes. Would need some re-jiggering to stand up to the rigors of mud though.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tyler (finally) dropped his Unbound video.

"unique style of mud" - yeah maybe unique to California riders. Cement silt with rock chunks is nothing remotely new over this side of the map.

Last edited:

Sponsor