• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On hill collisions

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
MHO it highlights the need to point out in large, loud neon letters "This is not the highway! There are no lanes! Learn the Alpine Code!"
Yes, if you want to use a driving analogy, the ski hill is much more a parking lot than it is a highway. Drive accordingly.

Can you blast through a parking lot at 50mph safely? Well, maybe sometimes if you know for sure it is empty and there are no potholes/speed bumps.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So...you want them to compartmentalise more strongly than I did above.

*eyes size of task* Okay then. *recompartmentalises cider*

MHO humans are pretty good at applying different rule sets to different circumstances. The issue is recognizing that the circumstances are different.

Example: go hire a jet ski when there are at least a few other amateur jet skiers buzzing around a limited area. Pretty quickly work out driving rules do not apply - it's recognized as dangerous chaos. Or Charles steps in. (Hopefully the people hiring the jet skis show customers the gory collection of glossy photos before theirs get added to the pile.)

*recompartmentalises cider*.... :huh:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let me put this into a different light and take the code out of the picture and consider two view points.

1. You have eyes in the front of your head use them.

2. If you are passing take responsibility for your actions, you can't expect the one passed to be suddenly aware of you doing something stupid in front of them.

Final note we need a "Beating a dead horse to death smiley" for threads of this nature.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me put this into a different light and take the code out of the picture and consider two view points.

1. You have eyes in the front of your head use them.

2. If you are passing take responsibility for your actions, you can't expect the one passed to be suddenly aware of you doing something stupid in front of them.
When I moved to the Boston area, I realized that in the "real" Boston (Southie, Charlestown, etc. Not the burbs) you were responsible for the front and left side of your car. The right side and back were someone else's problem.

Years ago the clutch cable on my car broke while I was in the Back Bay and the car was towed to a garage in South Boston. One of my co-workers, who was a Dorchester native, drove me down from our office in the inner burbs to recover the car when the repair was finished. It was a mind-altering experience.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Screenshot_20220826-191135_Google.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hope I have not offended you. When I ski or bike, I assume that everyone else cannot see or hear me, unless they clearly acknowledge that they do. Seems safer that way.
When I was learning to drive my dad told me that I needed to drive for myself and everyother driver on the road, because I can't count on the awareness of others on the road.
I try to do this even now, especially now.

As it relates to skiing...
Really the whole visual/audio awareness and making sure others are aware of you and you aware of them....that's key.
:ogbiggrin: This is pretty much all that can deduced from most of the threads on this topic.
There is that, and yet it's still far more civil than it was in Epic days.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is that, and yet it's still far more civil than it was in Epic days.
Wait a sec... I thought he meant he deduced that other, non-SkiTalk people are dumb. Not us! We are all very smart. And good looking. And kind and generous and expert skiers. Obviously. ogwink :P :ogbiggrin:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wait a sec... I thought he meant he deduced that other, non-SkiTalk people are dumb. Not us! We are all very smart. And good looking. And kind and generous and expert skiers. Obviously. ogwink :P :ogbiggrin:
You could say we're....Smarter than the average bear. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online