• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

One and Done

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Brand loyalty is something that many of us use when making our buying decisions. So I started to think of all the skis I have owned how many have been from the same manufacture and how many have been one and done brands? What do you think PUGSKI community what have been your One and Done brands and if you care to share why, feel free to add your thoughts.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Never had anything but Salomon bindings. I don't think it was on purpose, that's just the way it worked out. On the other hand, I've never had the same brand of boots twice. I've had a half-dozen different brands of skis. My only requirement for poles is that my old Scott grips will fit on them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've had a bad taste in my mouth for Nordica ever since they introduced the "X Balance System". If they foist that kind of deception and added weight on consumers I wanted no part of their product line.

Fwiw, the XBS race plate was actually quite nice. I even got an extra pair from @Muleski back when and used it on Stockli Laser SCs

I skied Jela and Elan growing up - then when I discovered what else was out there I never once went back to being a one brand guy.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've never met a Blizzard I liked. Aside from the 2018 Nordica Santa Ana and the Nrgy 90 I don't care for Nordica. I'm pretty convinced Dynastar does SL skis right but they lose me on anything over 80 underfoot.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm a multi brand guy. I haven't bought anything lately that didn't at least come close to what I wanted except the SkiSkoot. It is a brand of boot sole protector with a built in crampon. The crampon works great and folds up into the walker when not needed. It just plain wore out way to fast.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm a multi brand guy. I haven't bought anything lately that didn't at least come close to what I wanted except the SkiSkoot. It is a brand of boot sole protector with a built in crampon. The crampon works great and folds up into the walker when not needed. It just plain wore out way to fast.

Related but not as replacement: have you played with the Grivel Skimatics yet?

(back to topic, I could probably go with Grivel as my one stop mtn hardware brand)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
No, my crampons are OLD. I got them when I lived in New England. They originally were used on Scarpa T2s then on whatever alpine race boot I was using. I haven't tried them on my Hawx XTDs but imagine it won't be a problem. I haven't used them except on a race hill in forever. You know, I just tour for deep powder these days. No Headwall or Gullies to navigate on ice anymore.

MVIMG_20180925_123830745.jpg

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Brand loyalty is something that many of us use when making our buying decisions. So I started to think of all the skis I have owned how many have been from the same manufacture and how many have been one and done brands? What do you think PUGSKI community what have been your One and Done brands and if you care to share why, feel free to add your thoughts.

I'm one and done insomuch as there's a professional relationship with a particular manufacture, but even if I only own/use 'one', there are always others I'd love to ski and own beyond gear testing sessions and have no problem recommending those to others when it suits someone's narrative better than my 'one' . Boot wise, I'm very happily monogamous.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have found very few skis I didn't get along with here in the 'modern era'. So long as they well tuned and I have a couple of run get acquainted period, I'm normally a pretty happy camper.

For a daily driver I like something that will stomp crud so heavy Nordicas and the ilk are normally attached.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I really don't like Marker Griffon bindings so if I never step into or should I say try to step into one of those again that'll be just fine. One time two seasons ago I was skiing in powder, I face planted and I didn't eject. I twisted my knee and it freaked me out because I'd never been "injured" before this. Granted it could have been much worse but it still freaked me out. I was in the middle of taking my level 1 so I iced the crap out of it that night and skied my a$$ off the next day. I'm blaming the Griffons for locking down on my feet and not ejecting me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Marker Griffons be damned.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I'm fond of Tyrolia bindings. I'm not sure why, but after doing lots of research settled on them long ago. I've been forced to get Marker (with Volkls); got the Comp 16 and haven't been disappointed. I've also had skis that came with Salomon bindings and was quite happy with their performance.

As for skis I have no strong preferences, although I am fond of Fischer.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I'm fond of Tyrolia bindings. I'm not sure why, but after doing lots of research settled on them long ago. I've been forced to get Marker (with Volkls); got the Comp 16 and haven't been disappointed. I've also had skis that came with Salomon bindings and was quite happy with their performance.

As for skis I have no strong preferences, although I am fond of Fischer.
I am a Tyrolia person as well with Look as my second selection. I had too many issues with Solomon years ago and never put much time on Markers to become a fan.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm confused :huh:. Is this supposed to be one-and-done because you married the brand? or you had a bad date?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was pretty brand loyal to Rossignol because that's what my Dad always bought me to ski on and I kept with that theme up till just a few years ago when I branched out and got some Nordica Enforcers. As for brands that I've had just one interaction with and won't ever again.. RAMP skis, I quite liked the kumoniwannaskiya's but as a whole I don't like any of the others I skied on.. Not that it matters anymore since they are no longer in business.

Boots, Lange boots are my jam, I briefly tried a K2 boot and nope, not trying other boots anymore. Although I do have a Salomon S/Lab touring boot new for this year, but it's a second boot for me.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've owned a number of different manufacturer's skis until I demo'd Kastle. Now I own the MX88, FX94 and BMX105. As I've posted in the past, they just seem like they were designed with me in mind. I'm open to trying other brands but at this point why would I?

Boots are another story. Whatever brand fits best and at the moment that's Atomic.

Sponsor

Staff online