• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania Travel Restrictions

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I was ready to punt on this season, but I started to change my mindset a few weeks ago. Trips out west and up north were probably out this year, but I could sustain myself with days trips to my local ski areas like Liberty and Whitetail. I ran across this yesterday and maybe that is out of the question now. I am really curious how this is going to impact those places.

Latest Guidance At A Glance

• The Secretary of Health issued an order requiring travelers over age 11 entering Pennsylvania from locations outside the Commonwealth, including Pennsylvanians who are returning home from locations outside the Commonwealth, to produce evidence of a negative COVID-19 test or place themselves in travel quarantine for 14 days upon entering, unless they receive a negative test result during the 14-day travel quarantine period.
  • If someone cannot get a test or chooses not to, they must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Pennsylvania.
  • This does NOT apply to:
    • Individuals traveling to and from the Commonwealth for the purposes of work.
    • Individuals who are returning to the Commonwealth after traveling outside the Commonwealth for less than 24 hours.
    • Individuals traveling to and from the Commonwealth for medical reasons, including individuals providing comfort and support to a patient.
    • Military personnel traveling to the Commonwealth by order or directive of a state or Federal military authority.
    • Individuals in transit through the Commonwealth to another destination, provided that the time spent in the Commonwealth is only the amount of time necessary to complete the transit, make use of travel services, such as a highway rest stop, or make necessary travel connections.
    • Individuals traveling to comply with a court order, such as child custody, or other exemptions issued by guidance.
  • This order takes effect on Wednesday, November 25.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very similar to restrictions posted by MA and VT.
I don't know where you live (I guess obviously not in PA), but I'm in CT and usually daytrip up north. Not this year, for exactly the same reasons.

TS
Miller

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I am in Northern VA. Both Liberty and Whitetail are right over the border my just a few miles into Pennsylvania. I would guess that at least 50% (if not more) of the skiers who go there have VA, DC, or MD license plates.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am in Northern VA. Both Liberty and Whitetail are right over the border my just a few miles into Pennsylvania. I would guess that at least 50% (if not more) of the skiers who go there have VA, DC, or MD license plates.

I would bet it’s closer to 80%+ on the weekends for sure.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in PA and am not traveling out of state this season for those same reasons. I am glad PA instituted these restrictions; we got an alert on our cell phones Wednesday warning about traveling and indicating that hospitals are filling up.

For VA skiers, I guess there is Massanutten? For MD, Wisp? For NJ, Mountain Creek?

Seems like this may be the season for skiing in state.

“If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you‘re with!“

However, your point is the impact on those southern PA ski areas. (And possibly Elk, Camelback, and the Pocono areas who also attract NY/NJ and DE skiers. Bear Creek - a ton of MD and NJ skiers go there for the weekend). I agree, I’m interested, too. And specifically Liberty and Whitetail - I’m not going to drive south an hour or two to ski there so I imagine a lot of people in my region wouldn’t do that either when there’s bigger places closer.

Then there’s the DE skiers! What are they gonna do???

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Whitetail is not even a full mile into PA - you could walk to WT from Indian Springs WMA which is MD DNR.

VA does have Bryce and Wintergreen in addition to Massanutten, but I expect a LOT of skiers will just bust out to WVa.

MD has Wisp but that's a 3 hour drive one way for less vertical and more sun slush than Liberty.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
West Virginia won’t restrict travel so this will be a great season to spend more time at Timberline and Canaan Valley. Makes more sense on the weekends anyway.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately, I am betting that the Pocono areas parking lots will be filled with NJ and NY plates this winter, despite these mandates. The same mandates were in affect in April, and that didn't slow down the influx of out-of-staters one bit. Actually, the opposite was probably true...

Reactions: BC.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
West Virginia won’t restrict travel so this will be a great season to spend more time at Timberline and Canaan Valley. Makes more sense on the weekends anyway.

Snowshoe will be even more of a clusterf*, with everyone from all over creation descending on it. I will definitely *not* be going there on a weekend, no way, no how, no sirreee.

Covid in 6 different state flavours, with sprinkles on.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Snowshoe will be even more of a clusterf*, with everyone from all over creation descending on it. I will definitely *not* be going there on a weekend, no way, no how, no sirreee.

Covid in 6 different state flavours, with sprinkles on.

It’s comparable price wise and about as quick to fly to Colorado to ski than it is to drive, stay and ski at Snowshoe from NOVA.

Whoever coined the phrase “you can’t get there from here”, had Snowshoe in mind.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Not really ski related, but... I live in Massachusetts with my parents being in Pennsylvania. I took a Covid test so that I could visit Pennsylvania for the Thanksgiving holiday.

And then on Tuesday -- two days before Thanksgiving -- my parent's retirement community put out guidelines saying "no out of state visitors" and "no overnight guests". Well, ummm, ok, I'm out on both counts then. So I stayed here at home.

It seems like we're in a stretch where out-of-state visitors -- whether it be for recreational or personal purposes -- are going to be heavily restricted. I don't anticipate any sort of miracle change that will "save" Christmas travel either.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not really ski related, but... I live in Massachusetts with my parents being in Pennsylvania. I took a Covid test so that I could visit Pennsylvania for the Thanksgiving holiday.

And then on Tuesday -- two days before Thanksgiving -- my parent's retirement community put out guidelines saying "no out of state visitors" and "no overnight guests". Well, ummm, ok, I'm out on both counts then. So I stayed here at home.

It seems like we're in a stretch where out-of-state visitors -- whether it be for recreational or personal purposes -- are going to be heavily restricted. I don't anticipate any sort of miracle change that will "save" Christmas travel either.

You’re right, especially in the northeast. PA has made their move. Delaware/NJ/NY etc north will follow suit I’m sure.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It’s comparable price wise and about as quick to fly to Colorado to ski than it is to drive, stay and ski at Snowshoe from NOVA.

Eh, wot? How are you flying to CO? It's 4 hours from Vienna Metro to Soaring Eagle lift - on a snow day, with both a gas and a breakfast stop. Here is a timeline snapshot to prove it.

77Capture.JPG

That 46 minutes? That's waiting to load Ballhooter lift :( after Soaring Eagle breaks down.

Anyway, I wish I could do Colorado as a one-day turnaround.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eh, wot? How are you flying to CO? It's 4 hours from Vienna Metro to Soaring Eagle lift - on a snow day, with both a gas and a breakfast stop. Here is a timeline snapshot to prove it.

View attachment 116186

That 46 minutes? That's waiting to load Ballhooter lift :( after Soaring Eagle breaks down.

Anyway, I wish I could do Colorado as a one-day turnaround.

Ah my friend, you forget the time change. Lol You leave the Vienna and get to Snowshoe in 4 hours (I’ve never got there that quick, ever). I fly out at 6am, land in Denver at 8am their time and can be at Loveland skiing by 10-1030 am with a food stop in Idaho Springs.

Btw-I’m doing neither in a 1day turnaround.

James

Out There
Instructor
Very similar to restrictions posted by MA and VT.
I don't know where you live (I guess obviously not in PA), but I'm in CT and usually daytrip up north. Not this year, for exactly the same reasons.
Actually you could travel to VT within their rules if you quarantine at home.
Alternatively, you could teach skiing, and be exempt from those rules since you’re traveling for employment.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Busiest summer in a long time here on the lake.....and it wasn’t the locals....lol.
Lake Hopatcong was packed this summer as well. There was also rumors that if you wanted to buy a boat that sales were through the roof and boats (even used) were hard to find. But it was only the cove as we didn't hit up any of the bars even once this summer.

IMG_1417.JPG

As far as PA. If Camelback opens I'm going to ski it. I can be in and out with very little contact with others which has got to be safer then commuting across the state line for work which they will not shut down.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
We have met the enemy. He is us.

Summit county CO (Breck, Keystone, ABasin) just looked closely at the source of virus spread.
It was NOT mostly from out of state visitors flying in. It was community spread from county residents who meet
after work at bars or each others houses for a few drinks or social hour etc. Many were not wearing masks.

(in month since this was posted they went to the next worst tier. One step below the final tier -"Shelter at home"
which will probably close ski areas)

1606595374284.png

Last edited:

Sponsor