• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From Powder Magazine:
Silverton, Colo. – December 9, 2015 – Aaron Brill, Founder and CEO of Silverton Mountain Ski Area and Silverton Mountain Guides Alaska Heli, announced today that Tim Petrick will be joining the company as Chief Operating Officer with the kickoff of the 2015/2016 Season.

Petrick continues his long and successful career in the ski industry, most recently serving as President and CEO of K2 Sports.

“I am thrilled to be able to bring someone of Tim’s caliber to join us in building our business,” said Brill. “After operating for the last 15 years with my wife, Jen Brill, we are ready to add executive talent and take Silverton Mountain to the next level. We think Petrick is uniquely qualified as our COO because he not only knows the business side, he has been an active leader in adventure skiing and the backcountry as a participant and product developer. We couldn’t think of a more perfect fit. As we approach, the 15 year anniversary of Silverton Mountain, the business has grown to a level where the timing was appropriate to add someone like Tim.”

A longtime leader in the snowsports industry, Petrick has spent the majority of his career in executive level positions for companies including Powder Magazine, Rossignol, K2 Sports and Booth Creek Resorts. Now, skiing as an ambassador for K2 and stepping into his role at Silverton Mountain, Petrick is getting back to his roots on the snow.
“The opportunity to join Aaron, Jen, the talented guides, ski patrol and team at Silverton Mountain is a dream come true,” said Petrick. “I started my career on the snow and it is great to be heading back to the mountains to help grow Silverton Mountain to its full potential.”

“This month we opened our third base of operations in Seward, Alaska to accommodate the expanded demand in both Alaska and Colorado and we are excited to be heading into a new phase with Tim Petrick onboard,” said Brill.

ABOUT SILVERTON MOUNTAIN + SILVERTON MOUNTAIN GUIDES

Silverton Mountain, located in Southwestern Colorado in the San Juan Mountains became the first mountain to cater exclusively to advanced and expert skiers and snowboarders with one chairlift in 2001-2. The mountain has received numerous awards for leading the industry in steeps and powder snow. The ski area offers unique adventure skiing including guided and unguided skiing in Colorado, along with helicopter skiing opportunities. Opening Day on December 19 should be historic because of the abundance of early season snow due to the large El Nino weather event, dubbed “El Gordo” (the big one).

Silverton Mountain Guides Alaska Heli operates guided helicopter skiing with three different Alaska bases of operation, with the most recent base providing heli skiing in Seward Alaska as of December 1, 2015. Silverton Mountain Guides Alaska Heli accesses the largest area of terrain in North America spanning more than 10 million acres, and is the only heli operator in Alaska that provides heli skiing in December. Silverton Mountain Guides Alaska heli just wrapped up the first week of the season with all-time conditions due to the 300cm of early snow in Seward, AK.

Read more at http://www.powder.com/latest-news/s...oints-tim-petrick-as-ceo/#73i3wxUdJejskLDa.99

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I really like Tim Petrick. K2 will surely miss him, but Silverton has a gem.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa! Didn't see that coming at all. Kind of a big deal for a kind of funky operation.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Whoa! Didn't see that coming at all. Kind of a big deal for a kind of funky operation.
Right?? I figured Petrick would be with K2 until it was time to retire. This is such a cool thing. Perhaps Phil and I need to take a trip to Silverton to interview him for Pugski.com :D

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now maybe we'll get that base lodge and a couple of high-speed quads! It's about time!

LOL.

Just speculating, but it might be a semi-retirement gig for him that happens to have a heli-skiing operation. Can't blame him, what an opportunity for a skier. Hmmm.... maybe they have an opening for Chief Quality Control Officer too. :)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Silverton has long had an association with K2, that's what they rent for skis and other equipment.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So is he leaving K2, or time sharing responsibilities?

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
He needs to give me a job. :snow:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting that they have grown this business to the point where they want/need a COO of Tim's caliber, and I presume, price tag. They must have even bigger plans for the heli business. He's a very good guy, a lot of perspective and experience. Pretty much has done it all. Great addition for Silverton. A very neat place just got better. This deal should be a bit easier on the body. A lot less travel, etc. I would assume that it would be a lot of fun for him and his family.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's worth noting this isn't just about Silverton the mountain, but Silverton the set of enterprises in CO & AK.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like when a smaller business reels in a big fish like Tim. Kudos to them.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
From the article, it sounds like he's leaving K2 but will be a K2 ambassador and full-time COO at Silverton. Interesting development, for sure.
Just confirmed locally. This is correct.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I volunteer to interview him for pugski as part of my sw Colorado ski safari in Feb.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
I wonder what motivated the Brills to do so- which makes me wonder if anything is going to change at Silvy.

Sponsor