• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Phase 1 Expansion Plans for Snowbasin—Club Med Hotel and Village

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's been a discussion about this on the Utah Conditions thread.
Club Med? Really? Trying to compete with Wasatch Peaks Ranch? (Which I can see from my neighborhood, and wow, are they busy working up there!)

This entire area east of the Wasatch near Ogden has changed so much since 2014 even, it's a tough pill to swallow. Of course Snowbasin is going to follow the demographic trends of extreme upward wealth in Weber and Morgan counties. I wonder how sustainable it is, especially with what I predict will be an increasingly unreliable snowpack at the lower elevation ski resorts in the Wasatch? (Snowbasin being one of those.) I predict in 10 years, elevations below 7500 feet will get a lot more rain than snow.

The skier experience there has decreased in quality every season for several years now, but especially in the past 3. It's dangerous to the point that I don't want to be out there, and definitely don't want my kid to be out there, early season and on busy days, which are becoming very frequent anymore. Too many funnel points with too many out of control skiers. Throw in less grooming and sub-par grooming compared to years past, and the delightful experience is gone. I end up skiing in survival mode a lot. So yeah, let's throw in even MORE people because that's the answer.

One hope I have is that they'll invest in improving and expanding the MTB trails.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Wow sux for Ogden area locals unless they are making bank as contractors etc. Snowbasin used to be a great experience* but part of the charm was it was drive up, you needed a bit of daily commitment and got comfort and generally welcoming locals as part of the package. Now AN Other upmarket resort, presumably where the drive ups will be least priority.

* For somewhere where I fractured a Tib Plateau.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess nobody likes growth anywhere.

I checked club med qc prices - $600/night. In February all inclusive including ski passes for 2. Not that bad for ski in/out. If the meals are good it actually a good deal.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I guess nobody likes growth anywhere.

I checked club med qc prices - $600/night. In February all inclusive including ski passes for 2. Not that bad for ski in/out. If the meals are good it actually a good deal.
I hear the skiing there is nowhere near on par as a major resort so not sure that price is necessarily indicative of what Snowbasin will be.

Growth is inevitable. I think what disappoints people is this is a major departure from the feel and vibe of Snowbasin.

Utah is transforming very quickly. Not just in terms of explosive growth but also with the luxury demographic that is taking out the previous feel and vibe. A lot of locals are struggling with the change.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Utah is transforming very quickly. Not just in terms of explosive growth but also with the luxury demographic that is taking out the previous feel and vibe. A lot of locals are struggling with the change.

It's probably a bit political but this concerns me globally, particularly as I had over various lockdowns begun to settle on a modest retirement plan.

People may have been doing very well out of stock market investments, stellar tech salaries etc but you don't need to spend it all at once which is what seems to have been happening in real estate and on pushing things like vacations and cars into higher price brackets. Slow down a bit, relax, maybe step off the rat wheel earlier would be my view - guess that's out of keeping with the western world.

Of course what pumps investments etc is people having no self control and spending like they stole it so....

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's probably a bit political but this concerns me globally, particularly as I had over various lockdowns begun to settle on a modest retirement plan.

People may have been doing very well out of stock market investments, stellar tech salaries etc but you don't need to spend it all at once which is what seems to have been happening in real estate and on pushing things like vacations and cars into higher price brackets. Slow down a bit, relax, maybe step off the rat wheel earlier would be my view - guess that's out of keeping with the western world.

Of course what pumps investments etc is people having no self control and spending like they stole it so....
Yes, maybe it's really unsettling to me from having worked in the investment business in the 90s and early 2000s when money markets paid 4% and you could purchase a decent home in a decent neighborhood for less than $200k in a mid-sized city. It's all been completely flipped upside down. I have some modest investments that have done well but of course I can't put them into a home as they are in retirement accounts, so in some ways I feel like I'm being left behind by the current economy. I KNOW I'm not alone. I know a lot of middle class, hard working people who are being left behind by the economy. I suppose the pendulum will swing back eventually. In the meantime, the winter playgrounds that many of us middle-income folks could afford and enjoy in what used to be "looked down upon, seedy Ogden" are being taken away from us. That's how it feels. Ogden has always been that blue collar, renegade town in Utah and that's one reason I moved here. Now, you can't even consider buying anything but a dump for less than $400,000. The resorts in the community are following that standard, it seems. Still, a family pass for Snowbird is now less than for Snowbasin? Really?

I will try to look at the sunny side and appreciate that I can still buy a pass and pay for the gas to get to the mountain. That being said, if I had wanted to live in a Vail or Aspen-type atmosphere, I would have moved there instead of here. It seems that atmosphere is finding its way here. Do I need to trade my FlyLow outfit for Bogner now?

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Club Med coming? When Club Med was at Crested Butte their lesson groups of around 12 people skied down the mountain in long lines swooping from one side of the trail (regardless of the width of he trail) to the other. None club skiers had to be ever aware of those swoopers (a polite term for them) as they could ruin your day. Once G and I were skiing a narrow slot through the trees, narrow enough that skiers had to go single file, to get to the NASTAR run when we heard a voice yelling: "Watch out, watch out!" It was a Club Med Instructor leading a group going hell bent but not all together skilled bozos -- sorry about that -- . We managed to ski off the trail into the trees and avoid any damage. Not to suggest that the Club Med guests or instructors were not fun people to have around, but they were sorta entitled acting and took up a to of space.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I need to trade my FlyLow outfit for Bogner now?

Darling, you would look marvelous in a Bogner. (Billy Crystal voice) :roflmao: :roflmao:

The up side is they won't sneer at you when you ski DV with your new Bogner. :ogcool:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Darling, you would look marvelous in a Bogner. (Billy Crystal voice) :roflmao: :roflmao:

The up side is they won't sneer at you when you ski DV with your new Bogner. :ogcool:
Well, I can’t afford Deer Valley but I do get a few days at Sun Valley, where Bogner fits right in. Now, where can I find some deeply discounted Bogner? (I’m kidding. Please don’t post links.) :ogbiggrin:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier

Yup. I hear you. New Zealand has gone mad. I don't know how people afford it in the average salaries there. Australia pretty much the same deal. The global ultra low interest rates have driven enormous sums of wealth across all Western markets for those that had good nest eggs 10 to 20 years ago.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well, I can’t afford Deer Valley but I do get a few days at Sun Valley, where Bogner fits right in. Now, where can I find some deeply discounted Bogner? (I’m kidding. Please don’t post links.) :ogbiggrin:
Even if I had Bogner I'd still cover it with grease and ducttape just to reinforce the idea that Ikon scum lack class with the entitled DV locals....

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After much puzzling, deep thought and consternation I finally found a silver lining.

We haven't reached peak Jerry of the Day yet... not by a long shot.

gardenmary

Late-in-life ski bum
Skier
You'll recall this lovely little number for sale a few years ago that I posted. It cost substantially more than my first car. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Bogner on sale anywhere, but then again I don't go looking for it either LOL.

Attachments

• $1600 Bogner jacket.jpg
    $1600 Bogner jacket.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll recall this lovely little number for sale a few years ago that I posted. It cost substantially more than my first car. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Bogner on sale anywhere, but then again I don't go looking for it either LOL.

You are definitely not looking hard enough. :ogbiggrin:

Bogner do make some of the warmest ski jackets around. We still ski early season in VT so it's first hand experience. They are often too warm for the western resorts.

Most noticed the ostentatious model from Bogner. Have to agree many of them are gaudy and over the top. However many totally missed the other half of their offerings. Their camouflage collection is pretty impressive.
Few years back, I was in the Bogner shop at Statton with several friends. One guy tried on a solid navy color insulated parka.
I looked over and said "Buy it."
He was in shock and said "But there aren't any design on the jacket."
I said "It made you look 40 pounds lighter."
He bought it on the spot.
Later in the season, he mentioned it was his warmest jacket ever.

I don't judge skier by what they wear but by how they ski. :ogcool:

Sponsor

Staff online