• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PITA and the hazards of using "Dr. Google."

Lex P

Booting up
Skier
So I just got schooled in using Dr. Google. I recently began experiencing pain in my left hip area (I'm in my late 50's) and used Google to see if my symptoms matched hip arthritis. Made an appointment with my orthopedist, who told me the good news, it isn't arthritis. What I have is a gluteal tendon strain, aka, a pain in the ass. I have been hitting the aerobic and weight training hard to gear up for the upcoming season.

From what I have gleaned, it appears that this strain takes "weeks" to recover from. Anybody out there have experience with this type of injury. Not too happy that this means my hard work at ski condition is all for naught, and I will have to restart in November. Sigh. Any insights on this? Thanks.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Insights on Dr. Google or your injury? :cool:

If it were me, I would look into physical therapy, acupuncture, and massage to help with that type of injury in conjunction with what your orthopedist recommends.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1

I had a strained (torn) hamstring tendon, a good eight weeks of PT/massage to break up scar tissue and help reform tendon collagen strands worked wonders.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
y. Not too happy that this means my hard work at ski condition is all for naught, and I will have to restart in November. Sigh. Any insights on this? Thanks.

Don't focus on the negative. Tell yourself that the work you've done will make the healing go faster, and take the meantime to explore alternative regimens that will leave you stronger overall.

Sponsor

Staff online