• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PIVOT 15/18 Raw

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Has anyone with these experienced any rusting etc with them where they are exposed metal? ... I just got a pair and I'm a little concerned that could happen

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's not rust. It's patina.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone with these experienced any rusting etc with them where they are exposed metal? ... I just got a pair and I'm a little concerned that could happen
Aluminum and stainless steel don't rust-well not usually with stainless steel anyway unless the unless it's been compromised. Aluminum can corrode however. There should be a coating on the Pivots to prevent corrosion. Keep em away from sea water.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tell us you have a ski rack on your car without telling us…
I've actually gotten in trouble with at least one acquaintance when arranging rides to the mountain. Basically I've gotten to the point, in our ocean-adjacent and road-salt-heavy region, where I'm like, "I'm not going to put my skis on the outside of anyone's car."

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aluminum and stainless steel don't rust-well not usually with stainless steel anyway unless the unless it's been compromised. Aluminum can corrode however. There should be a coating on the Pivots to prevent corrosion. Keep em away from sea water.

I thought stainless steel didn’t rust too. Until I took up kayak fishing in the Mediterranean sea. Now I think titanium doesn’t rust. Who knows for how long that will be…

On OPs question-no I haven‘t noticed rust. Yet.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Alloys like Al and Stainless steels (Steels with Cr or Ni as an alloy) don't corrode in a traditional sense, but they can and will self destruct in the right conditions. These metals naturally form a protective oxidation layer that keeps the base material from actively looking for other elements to react with (oxidize). However, when you add Salts and Water, you can basically create an electropolish that will attack that natural barrier that formed, which WILL eat away at the base material.

Moral of the story... Like Tony said, keep them off the outside of the damn car. Unless you don't care, then you do you.

I have the same bindings on my spouses main pair of skis, I inspect them every season and they're fine. You're going to see mild discoloration, that's natural. Pay more attention to texture. If all of a sudden you have a section of the binding where the material has clearly eaten away and is significantly rougher, THEN it might be time to worry/ask yourself some questions.

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
Alloys like Al and Stainless steels (Steels with Cr or Ni as an alloy) don't corrode in a traditional sense, but they can and will self destruct in the right conditions. These metals naturally form a protective oxidation layer that keeps the base material from actively looking for other elements to react with (oxidize). However, when you add Salts and Water, you can basically create an electropolish that will attack that natural barrier that formed, which WILL eat away at the base material.

Moral of the story... Like Tony said, keep them off the outside of the damn car. Unless you don't care, then you do you.

I have the same bindings on my spouses main pair of skis, I inspect them every season and they're fine. You're going to see mild discoloration, that's natural. Pay more attention to texture. If all of a sudden you have a section of the binding where the material has clearly eaten away and is significantly rougher, THEN it might be time to worry/ask yourself some questions.
I dont put them on the roof when transporting but I live on the ocean and even though they are stored with the utmost care I was more thinking of rust from general use when drying etc

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I dont put them on the roof when transporting but I live on the ocean and even though they are stored with the utmost care I was more thinking of rust from general use when drying etc
What part are you worried about rusting? The "raw" parts are Aluminum, same as the other pivots of that caliber ( the 15 ), just not painted- the paint is just for color. The turntable is SS the same as other Pivots. In other words, the Raws are only raw in name only and will not rust any more than any other Pivot, and a Pivot will be just as bomb proof as any other binding. A friend of mine used to be a Ski Patroller in the NE and he used his old rusty pick-up truck to run back and forth to the mountain. He threw his "work" skis ( as he called them ) in the open bed of the truck, and left them there when he wasn't patrolling. Road salts and chainsaws and other farm tools all rolled and clanged together around back there. He is an awesome skier BTW, with old beat up skis and all. Anyway, I'd usually mount his skis up for him; taking his old Pivots off his dead skis and mounting the on a new pair. This went on for many years. Pivots held up find, and still going strong. Sometimes I had to de-gunk them and re-grease them, but no rust.

I wouldn't suggest you throw your skis in the back of an open pick-up, and as others have said use any external ski rack. Just saying, don't worry about it too much. Take reasonable care of your skis and your Pivots will be okay. Hell, the edges of your skis will rust before the Pivots.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My solution is to never own a ski long enough to worry about wear & tear on the base, edges, top-sheets, or bindings :thumb: :roflmao:

TS
JChockey22

JChockey22

Putting on skis
Skier
What part are you worried about rusting? The "raw" parts are Aluminum, same as the other pivots of that caliber ( the 15 ), just not painted- the paint is just for color. The turntable is SS the same as other Pivots. In other words, the Raws are only raw in name only and will not rust any more than any other Pivot, and a Pivot will be just as bomb proof as any other binding. A friend of mine used to be a Ski Patroller in the NE and he used his old rusty pick-up truck to run back and forth to the mountain. He threw his "work" skis ( as he called them ) in the open bed of the truck, and left them there when he wasn't patrolling. Road salts and chainsaws and other farm tools all rolled and clanged together around back there. He is an awesome skier BTW, with old beat up skis and all. Anyway, I'd usually mount his skis up for him; taking his old Pivots off his dead skis and mounting the on a new pair. This went on for many years. Pivots held up find, and still going strong. Sometimes I had to de-gunk them and re-grease them, but no rust.

I wouldn't suggest you throw your skis in the back of an open pick-up, and as others have said use any external ski rack. Just saying, don't worry about it too much. Take reasonable care of your skis and your Pivots will be okay. Hell, the edges of your skis will rust before the Pivots.
Thank you for this explanation ...I have a tendency to overthink things and in my mind I was envisioning putting my skis out to dry and the a day or two later when I go to pack them again the bindings are all rusted and corroded and turn to dust lol

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thank you for this explanation ...I have a tendency to overthink things and in my mind I was envisioning putting my skis out to dry and the a day or two later when I go to pack them again the bindings are all rusted and corroded and turn to dust lol
No. If you want them to rust, along with the edges, leave them wet in a ski bag in your car. It will only take one night. On some bindings the external damage will not be visible, but the skis edges and the binding springs will be rusty. This is why rental skis are so expensive.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No. If you want them to rust, along with the edges, leave them wet in a ski bag in your car.
I left my skis in my SporTube for a couple of days this season. They were put in it completely dry, and then the SporTube was inside in climate controlled condo... but my edges still had some rust when I got the skis out. I suppose the flight and temp/air changes were enough to maybe cause some condensation? Anyway... lesson learned but it cost me a trip to the ski shop to get the edges cleaned and sharpened.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
It seems no matter how or where I store skis, edges always accumulate rust. I wonder if sacrificial anodes could be a solution.
It must be environmental. Our skis are often left in the truck canopy for days on end or stashed in an un-heated garage without ever drying them. Zero visible rust or corrosion on edges or bindings; probably because they are not exposed to warmth. Heat is a catalyst for most chemical reactions including rust/corrosion.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems no matter how or where I store skis, edges always accumulate rust. I wonder if sacrificial anodes could be a solution.

Exactly. It is almost unbelievable how quick these sumbitches rust. Good thing is it is very easy to get rid of.

Sponsor

Staff online