• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plug Boots with Gripwalk

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
This thread is to list plug boots with Gripwalk option.

Link of where to buy Gripwalk pads would be appreciated.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Head Raptor WCR 120

Gripwalk pads. Not sure if these are compatible. They say Raptor.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Head Raptor WCR 120

Gripwalk pads. Not sure if these are compatible. They say Raptor.

These won't fit on the actual, solid-soled race boot. These will only work on boot models that have replaceable grip pads to begin with.

If you are looking for GripWalk lifters, then the only brand I know that makes these are Dalbello.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
These won't fit on the actual, solid-soled race boot. These will only work on boot models that have replaceable grip pads to begin with.

This particular model is the exception with having solid sole I think? Am I right (or wrong)?

1678619784178.png

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
If you are looking for GripWalk lifters, then the only brand I know that makes these are Dalbello.

These models - DRS 140, 130, 110?

Link to GW lifters and pads would be appreciated.

1678620167664.png

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
These models - DRS 140, 130, 110?

Link to GW lifters and pads would be appreciated.

Most boot brands don't even sell regular "5355" lifters online because people think they can screw them onto their boot and click into their bindings, which is not the case. It's a legal nightmare for online sales, especially in North America.

Regular "5355" lifters require the routering of toes & heels back to ISO 5355 dimensions. In the grand scheme of all ski shops, very few can actually do this. GripWalk lifters present an even bigger problem since you can't router a boot with a GripWalk lifter installed - you need to use a very specific "5355" lifter of the analogous thickness in order to get the boot to the correct dimensions, take them off, and then put on the GripWalk lifter or the boot is completely ruined.

As you can see on the Dalbello website, the option is mentioned but you can't find them on the actual website for the reasons stated. You might find them on online-specific retailers in Europe, but you'll most likely only find them in 1). Dalbello shops that 2). can actually provide the routering service and that's going to be an incredibly small number of shops.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Call me crazy, but if it’s Gripwalk, it’s not a plug.
And this is why you don't see more brands offering a GripWalk lifter for your race boot. It will render the boot incompatible with actual race bindings that the boot is intended to be paired with.

mike^

Booting up
Skier
i really don't see why any true performance race type boot needs gripwalk.
it's not the same performance as din soles and anyone who needs traction can just put on cat tracks because gripwalk soles wear out.
the k2 recon boots with gripwalk i tried on had play in the mounting of the gripwalk pad by just pushing with your hand

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
it's not the same performance as din soles and anyone who needs traction can just put on cat tracks because gripwalk soles wear out.
the k2 recon boots with gripwalk i tried on had play in the mounting of the gripwalk pad by just pushing with your hand
Just say no to gripwalk.

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Just depends if you need the performance of a race/race-inspired boot + the traction of GripWalk, thinking expert-level freeriders. There, the combination of performance + grip is big request.

Skiing performance of GW vs. 2-component 5355 is the same. There is no difference, no reason why there should be.

Re: K2 boot - that is a mistake on their end, nothing to do with the actual GripWalk norm itself.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

The problem with skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax is you will inevitably take a piss and step on piss in the bathroom and that will get on your skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax and your gloves when they touch the skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax when you take them off.

Then you have to put the piss-laden skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax in your ski pants or jacket pockets. So now, not only do you have piss on your gloves, but on your jacket/ski pants.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem with skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax is you will inevitably take a piss and step on piss in the bathroom and that will get on your skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax and your gloves when they touch the skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax when you take them off.

Then you have to put the piss-laden skiskootys/cat tracks/sidas/yaktrax in your ski pants or jacket pockets. So now, not only do you have piss on your gloves, but on your jacket/ski pants.

Stand further back from the urinal and work on your aim. They make things called plastic bags and that's what I put my cat tracks in as soon as I take them off. They are dirty and messy, even if I don't wear them in the bathroom, which I have never done BTW, I take them off before going into the lodge. My only complaint with Cat Tracks is they are kind of bulky and I try not to carry them in my pocket when skiing. Sometimes I stash them outside near the lift, sometimes in my ski bag, but always in a sealed zip bag. :ogbiggrin:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Re the piss on cattracks problem. Simply stomp around in snow after visiting lodge, bathroom etc. Problem solved. Don't know why anyone would take such devices off when entering the lodge given wet wood or stone floors etc

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
True plug shells traditionally have solid over sized lugs that are designed to accommodate stance alignment. Many of the consumer race colored shells do have the option of replaceable soles that might have Gripwalk options.

With that said, better shops can install Gripwalk soles on a plug shell. Expect to pay $150-200 for the materials and labor. As @onenerdykid said, A Gripwalk sole (ISO 23223) will not fit in a race binding.

While there is snow on these, here are Gripwalk soles installed on a solid lug boot...
IMG_1847.jpeg

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
What’s happened to the plug lifters with a rubber component in squares?
Atomic makes a dual component lifter (I believe @Tony Storaro has them). The problem is finding them in the US (or any Atomic parts for that matter). I love my Atomic boots, but it was much, much easier to source parts from Nordica. One call or email and the part would be shipped out directly from West Lebanon, NH.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your not the crazy one.

What’s happened to the plug lifters with a rubber component in squares? Sort of a pseudo vibram. I got some from PJ years ago, but they seem to have disappeared.

You mean like these:

I like mine very much. Saves me having to carry around the rubber thingies.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Ah but there is an easy solution to this-pee in the woods… :roflmao: Sometimes I do not even click out of the bindings:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online