• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poles, GS poles, a specific question

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
About length.
Here’s the take.
I found out recently that at a starting gate, using my “standard length” poles (120 cm) I had difficulties performing a good start.
Then the next time I used exaggerately long poles, ca 130 cm, for my height (175ish cm), and the push out was much more effective.
Ignoring the pole handle difference, the 120 cm are LEKI Trigger S (slalom type) equipped, whilst the 130 have a GS like pretty standard loop over the wrist handle, which might also have played a difference…the longer the better? Until which length? Right? Wrong? Thoughts? Or was just bad technique on my part?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Great topic!

There are indeed some variables at play here, like how well the start pads are positioned below you, how steep the ramp is, etc. If the pads are too high, the 130 CM poles will have you pushing up instead of out. A safer bet is 125CM as at 175 CM tall, you are likely between a 120 and 125 in pole size.

I also prefer good old stiff aluminum poles with standard straps for GS. Composites that flex rob you of power upon push off and double poling.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a beer league/local Masters racers .02, but I was used 130 cm poles for a while on the theory that it would give me more push out of the start. I cut them down to 120 and like them better-I don't seem to miss the length at the wand and they get less in the way once on the course. I'm around 5'10" FWIW. Poles are SWIX aluminum with standard straps.

wolcoma

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you use a pole plant in GS then a longer pole may cause you to up unweight too much. I am not one of those stay on the toilet seat position all the time, some racers and coaches preach, but having too long of ski pole could force too much upward motion especially in the transition. Having a powerful start is always good, but not if it compromises technique and tactics in the race course. Especially on steep and turny GS courses, definitely requires a pole touch or at least the movement down the hill, which helps create early edge pressure.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Right, the trick is to find the correct balance between effective pushing at start and the need for pole plant/touch during the race itself…
On this point, I noticed that I tend not to pole plant/touch whilst in the race course, so a slightly longer pole might not be a problem…
This said, 125 cm should be the right compromise for me, full alu with standard straps…
The only doubt is.. slightly bent or straight?
I favour the straight models, since I feel the pushing would better translate into propulsion…

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Right, the trick is to find the correct balance between effective pushing at start and the need for pole plant/touch during the race itself…
On this point, I noticed that I tend not to pole plant/touch whilst in the race course, so a slightly longer pole might not be a problem…
This said, 125 cm should be the right compromise for me, full alu with standard straps…
The only doubt is.. slightly bent or straight?
I favour the straight models, since I feel the pushing would better translate into propulsion…
I've come to prefer, and recommend to the athletes I coach, slightly longer, straight poles for GS, most of the time. They tend to work better in the start, and for steeper, swingier courses with very little room to tuck, there's not much benefit from bent poles. For courses that have long flat sections, I'd probably grab bent poles.

When it comes to grips, I stay clear of the LEKI trigger system. Not nearly as strong as a traditional strap, and the slalom grip/guard system is the only one my athletes regularly have problems with. When coaching, I carry a dedicated LEKI guard repair kit and end up using it way too much.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I am 183cm/6ft tall and use Swix poles (both carbon and aluminum) in 120cm/48" for SL, 125cm/50" for GS, and 135cm/54" for SG and DH.

Pretty much the same here, I go 120 for SL as well to prevent pushing back on the tails.

I just snapped a tip off my GS poles this weekend so I'm torn between a 1" cut off a 130 CM again, or just go to 125.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
FWIW,

I still have another set of 130 CM Kermas exactly like this, so I bought another set in 125 today. Killer deal.

nnowak

Getting on the lift
Skier
Basic rule of thumb is that your GS poles should be one size larger than your SL poles.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Thanks. That is pretty much what I use and or plan to
-120 cm for SL and free skiing (got it and use it)
-125 for GS (straight or bent, better be full alu or at least hybrid alu-carbon), but for now have a choice between a 120 cm (not ideal because it also has the SL grip) and a 130 cm old pole (better but it might get too clumsy once the start phase is over)
So, one step at a time…since the 125 cm long LEKI GS poles were out of stock (either straight or bent) at the shop I usually cater, I started buying a standard loop-over-the-wrist strap for my LEKI poles. Will begin experimenting with those and see how it goes…
Of course I am also looking at non LEKI poles…

Sponsor

Staff online