• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Polishing Oil

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Very interesting, I've never heard of it either. Hopefully someone else here has some knowledge or experience with this concept.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nothing new in sharpening techniques, just a new detail for tuning.

Most sharpening techniques have used oil in the past, but with Japanese water stones and diamonds switched away from oil to water as it acts as a better flushing agent. However ultralight oils (wd40) can have similar properties and some rust prevention.

The biggest concern is how the oil (any oil) interacts with the adhesive used in building the ski. Personally I wouldn’t for that simple reason. Despite all that’s said skis flex and have mirco cracks in the adhesives, while generally not an issue (unless skis are stored in salty damp roof top ski boxes, and you all know the results) adding oil that if it has the correct properties for sharpening will creep into the cracks and start its attack.

So use water and keep adding it sharpening, little more work but likely less long term and surprising adverse effects.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And the proof is - you can buy cutting oil at your local hardware store; some of which is not even oil at all but a polymer/surfactant emulsion in water.
I use and buy specialty cutting oils/fluids in my business, anything that says “oil” has an oil based product or two as part of its ingredients. The rest are cutting fluids and even then....careful.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I would expect most folks who attempt to use oil as a cutting lubricant on a ski would end up getting that oil on the ski base. Wouldn't oil on a ski base interfere with the subsequent application of wax?

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I would expect most folks who attempt to use oil as a cutting lubricant on a ski would end up getting that oil on the ski base. Wouldn't oil on a ski base interfere with the subsequent application of wax?
Depends on the oil. Medowfoam oil is used as a "green" fluoro substitute in some ski waxes. It's a great non-fossil based light lubricant. I'd think it would work as cutting/polishing fluid. And if any gets on your bases: no problem. I actually use meadowfoam oil as an initial pre-wax base prep and/or for getting mild grime/contaminants out of bases.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Yep, this is exactly how I think most of us around here do it. That's why I was surprised to see the use of cutting oil recommended for ski tuning. Just doesn't seem like that would be a wise choice.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends on the oil. Medowfoam oil is used as a "green" fluoro substitute in some ski waxes. It's a great non-fossil based light lubricant. I'd think it would work as cutting/polishing fluid. And if any gets on your bases: no problem. I actually use meadowfoam oil as an initial pre-wax base prep and/or for getting mild grime/contaminants out of bases.
Remember oil, is oil regardless of the source.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Yea, I mix up a container and dip my tool frequently. Keeping the stones and edge very wet always is a good thing.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Yep, this is exactly how I think most of us around here do it. That's why I was surprised to see the use of cutting oil recommended for ski tuning. Just doesn't seem like that would be a wise choice.
I never work on "Adults" skis! Ha ha It's good to stay young!

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Remember oil, is oil regardless of the source.
Well sure, from a most basic reference point. In my case, I've had no issues with wax adhesion & penetration when I've prepped bases with meadowfoam oil.

I use a solution of 1tsp meadowfoam oil to 2oz of alcohol into a small mist sprayer. Shake (to suspend the oil) then spray a light mist on the bases, leave it for a minute & then wipe down well. Wend has base prep (and ski wax) products that contain meadowfoam that I'm sure have additional benefits than my very simple use of the oil.

For edge sharpening/polishing with diamond & ceramic stones I stick to what I've used for years now: a few drops of dish soap in a 4oz mister bottle. I generously spray the edge and the stone periodically. When done I just wipe down & let the ski dry. Works great & helps keep my stones clean. Years ago I used to add some alcohol to the mix because that's what I was taught to do. But I got lazy one day and just used the simpler "a few drops of dish soap" solution and sprayed a bit more frequently. Worked just as well for me. YMMV

Sponsor

Staff online