• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Powder Mountain Building Three Public Chairlifts But Going Semi-Private

peakslopecontent

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Lots going on at Pow Mow for the 2024-25 season, namely:
  • High-speed replacement for Paradise
  • Fixed-grip replacement for Timberline
  • New fixed-grip up Lightning Ridge
  • Private homeowners-only access to Village, Mary's, and new lift up Raintree.
Thoughts?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
News from Powder Mountain on how they plan to sustain their commitment to find the balance and remain uncrowded.

Snip from Blog
In order to pay our bills, we need to sell more real estate, and to do that we are introducing private homeowner-only skiing a year from now. We will be designating the Village and Mary’s lifts, which serve beginner and intermediate terrain, plus a new lift on Raintree, for this private skiing, starting a year from now.

We believe this blend of public and private skiing secures us decades of exceptional uncrowded skiing for all, funded partially by real estate. To stay independent and uncrowded, we needed to change, and we didn’t want to join the successful but crowded multi-resort pass model (ie, Snowbasin) or sell to a conglomerate (ie, Vail).

We are dedicated to running a sustainable business, supporting our wonderful team, and contributing to this incredible community. Thank you for your support in Powder’s next chapter, which kicks off with the three new lifts!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This is what I posted in the Utah thread:
I think this has been the general plan since the Summit group came in, it just took someone like Mr. Hastings to make it happen. Sad to see Mary’s & Village go but again that was the rumored plan when they built them.

There are also some other reactions in that thread.
Once this plan is implemented it will take a significant chunk of current terrain out of play for the general public.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
This is what I posted in the Utah thread:

There are also some other reactions in that thread.
Once this plan is implemented it will take a significant chunk of current terrain out of play for the general public.

I haven't been to PM since 2014 so the public terrain would still be similar to what it was back then for me. Based on what I saw in the general Utah conditions meet up thread it would mean losing part of cobabe (fun stuff) but getting access to lift served Lightning Ridge (vice cat rides). Not having been there in 10yrs it seems like a fair trade to me personally and I hope it works for all concerned.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't been to PM since 2014 so the public terrain would still be similar to what it was back then for me. Based on what I saw in the general Utah conditions meet up thread it would mean losing part of cobabe (fun stuff) but getting access to lift served Lightning Ridge (vice cat rides). Not having been there in 10yrs it seems like a fair trade to me personally and I hope it works for all concerned.
It's been a bit over 15 years since I was last there (ok, that made me feel old...) and that was the same reaction I had after I looked at the trail map...those lifts and that housing didn't exist when I was there. However, I'm not a bit surprised that something is being done to "pay the bills"...someone doesn't spend that kind of money without a return on investment

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For this someone that would be pocket change. Probably wants to create a place for really rich folks to hang.

The billionaire who bought Taos put in lifts and a multi million dollar snowmaking system without breaking a sweat.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For this someone that would be pocket change. Probably wants to create a place for really rich folks to hang.

The billionaire who bought Taos put in lifts and a multi million dollar snowmaking system without breaking a sweat.
This is creating two places within about 20 ish miles of each other for the 2% of the 2% to play, since Wasatch Peaks Ranch is just to the south. I feel more and more like a plebe all the time.
Not sure how they're going to keep the plebes out of that private terrain. I suppose you'll have to have a special pass for the lifts, but that won't keep some from sneaking over there in touring gear.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In Montana, Spanish Peaks and Yellowstone Club are private right next to Big Sky, but they were built with that intention.
What is the likelyhood that PM will eventually be completely private?
That would be sad.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Before Mary’s and Village were built a few years ago that area was used by the Summit Group, who were owners at the time, for private cat skiing. The lifts went in to allow the newly developed lots to have ski-in/ski-out.

The high speed quad replacing Paradise (18-20 minute ride currently) and new Lighting Ridge chair will be more significant changes imho.

Since both cat-skiing areas will be lift served, it will also be interesting to see if the open some new cat-accessed terrain. People like riding on those things.

IMG_4324.jpeg

Last edited:

4ster

Instructor
This was another rumored concern when the Summit kids bought it. Something about access being a county road creates some huge hurdles but we all know that money talks.

It has been interesting living in the Ogden Valley for the past 23 years & watching the saga of Powder Mountain. From the time the Cobabes (original owners) sold it till now there have been 4ish different owners all with grandiose plans. The first had plans for an airstrip at 8000’ & even had a golf course laid out where Brim trail is now.
The next wanted to incorporate & call it Powder Town, l think it was a scheme to steal water rights or something. This idea met hostile opposition from the surrounding community & was shut down.
Then Summit who actually followed through & did some of what they set out to do & now Reed Hastings has taken the reigns with his $3.5 billion backing him.

Since both cat-skiing areas will be lift served, it will also be interesting to see if the open some new cat-accessed terrain. People like riding on those things.
As for Catskiing, there is already Monument Ranch which encompasses a ton of surrounding terrain.
2 years ago the deal makers where looking for investors to put a private lift off James Peak into the DMI area which is terrain only accessible with hired guided skiing now. Skied that terrain frequently back in the day & it is really some of the best up there.
IMG_5538.jpeg

There is also scrapey’s which is past the north boundary of James Pk. but can put you back to the base of Paradise without much effort.
What people need to realize is that PowMow ain’t all that without frequent snow.
I’d better stop before I say too much ;)

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pow Mow was a go-to hidden gem for many years. Looks like I may be headed back to GT (Grand Targhee) next time. Last time at PM was a week before Covid hit the U.S. and shut everything down. I skied for 4 days as a Vet for $50/day! Simply showed my DD214 at the office and they handed me lift tkts. At most areas it's like a bad drug deal trying to get a Veterans pass as advertised on their websites. 50 questions and a pinky from your first born child if they don't have IDme! :beercheer:

Kudos to the ski areas that do use IDme. It makes the process MUCH easier, essentially automatic and no dealing w/ tyrant gatekeepers who don't normally look at, much less understand military documents.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In Montana, Spanish Peaks and Yellowstone Club are private right next to Big Sky, but they were built with that intention.
That would be sad.
Sad indeed. The speculator in our house who is pretty familiar with things up there is speculating that's the path they are going down. They are definitely slowly squeezing out the locals, or I should say, the original locals who aren't wealthy and have lived there for decades.

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
Got family living at the bottom of the canyon in Eden. Going there for Xmas. I don't like the changes the last 5 (10)years at all. Humbug.

Whole vibe and resort has done an abrupt 180. That is progress. Still, if I lived Eden I'd have a family season pass. Fun place to get the low angle goods.

Probably won't ski at powwow. May go to Nordic for a night ski then to Logan after Xmas. Sheeshee.

Last edited:

altabrig

Drifting like a long radius with some tail rocker.
Skier
im just glad i dont netflix or pay Reed to ski his pow
i hopes the raintree cougars eat the rich
least the beav still has soul
Amen.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is creating two places within about 20 ish miles of each other for the 2% of the 2% to play, since Wasatch Peaks Ranch is just to the south. I feel more and more like a plebe all the time.
Not sure how they're going to keep the plebes out of that private terrain. I suppose you'll have to have a special pass for the lifts, but that won't keep some from sneaking over there in touring gear.
How many non-homeowners were skiing that terrain (Mary's and Lefty's) the past few years? I understand the attraction to go try it out, but it's got a lot more sun exposure than most of the rest of the mountain, and not very steep. I doubt there are many folks particularly interested in hiking it.

That would be sad.
Seems about as likely as Big Sky going all-private. It'll likely take PowMow decades to develop all the terrain they've already set aside as private, and at that point there's plenty more land to the north and east to continue subdividing. In the meantime, the public ski area is a tremendous advertising tool to get people out to visit and maybe fall in love. And they can sell real estate in the public ski terrain, too. There just doesn't seem to be any real upside to trying to turn it all-private.

4ster

Instructor
How many non-homeowners were skiing that terrain (Mary's and Lefty's) the past few years? I understand the attraction to go try it out, but it's got a lot more sun exposure than most of the rest of the mountain, and not very steep. I doubt there are many folks particularly interested in hiking it.
You would be surprised how many people ski in touring gear at Pow Mow & snowboarders will hike to baffling places, it’s part of the attraction. I end up using those two lifts quite a bit to reach some of the furthest & longest lasting stashes. I have also done the skin out of lefties a few times & up to Raintree.
IMG_3318.jpeg

IMG_3320.jpeg

I learned this morning that it sounds like Upper Cobabe & Raintree will still be accessible by hiking but probably not much point with lift served traffic there.
This is not the end of the world for P. M., just a different one. Nor do I see them going fully private.
Here is a map with the possible new & replacement lift routes…
IMG_8169.jpeg

Last edited:

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't been to PowMow since 2012 and I hate seeing the changes because it had the best vibe back in the day. I always thought that skiing powder country and catching the bus back was one of the coolest experiences. We'll be back out there in March and I hope I still recognize it.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Pow Mow was a go-to hidden gem for many years. Looks like I may be headed back to GT (Grand Targhee) next time. Last time at PM was a week before Covid hit the U.S. and shut everything down. I skied for 4 days as a Vet for $50/day! Simply showed my DD214 at the office and they handed me lift tkts. At most areas it's like a bad drug deal trying to get a Veterans pass as advertised on their websites. 50 questions and a pinky from your first born child if they don't have IDme! :beercheer:

Kudos to the ski areas that do use IDme. It makes the process MUCH easier, essentially automatic and no dealing w/ tyrant gatekeepers who don't normally look at, much less understand military documents.
I hope Targhee never changes.

Sponsor

Staff online