• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Powder skiing in Europe versus North America

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Seeing as a European powder trip post seeking resort advice is getting side tracked with talk about differences between inbounds powder skiing in North America and off-piste skiing, and we were talking about opening a separate thread, thought I'd open it here. The problem with any post like this is that it risks coming across as finger wagging, so let it be taken as read that it isn't meant to be - the purpose is solely (A) to make sure people who haven't skied in Europe seeking powder know what they're getting, (B) to clear up some myths, and C) to have separate discussion that can be linked to so resort questions can be dealt with without drifting off topic.

Europe: If it's not a piste or a non-groomed official run (German Skiroute, French itinéraire) or one of the rare controlled "freeride zones" (e.g. in Livigno or La Rosière), it's unpatrolled. Resorts generally do what they can to prevent avalanches endangering groomers, but pretty much every year a groomer will get hit by an avalanche somewhere or other. Unless an off-piste area is protected for environmental reasons, there's nothing to stop anyone skiing it. But nor can it be presumed it has been secured. @Cheizz care to repost your pics of the worst case scenario here?

Something the recent discussion post didn't touch on much is glacial resorts. Here's four and a bit groomers and a terrain park in Hintertux. Sometimes people will ski the off-piste areas just next to them or between them.

Are their tracks a reliable indication it's safe? Here's the same area without snow: https://www.merkur.de/bilder/2017/08/30/8642134/1572852091-hintertux-32fe.jpg

Is there any warning about the crevasses? Yes. There are a few signs here and there, but if you duck under the rope away from those signs, there's no way of knowing. Here's a crevasse a few feet from a groomer frequented by skiers of all levels in a resort that often has white-outs (again, Hintertux). Up to the individual skier to spot it without a rope or piste markings: https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/download/file.php?id=215539&t=1

Anyway, hopefully this is a reasonable illustration of how contrary to common assumptions, including those of regular European skiers, proximity to a groomer is no indication that terrain has been secured. Apart from the odd sign just beyond the edge of a groomer to say you're leaving the secured area, you're on your own re. avalanches, cliffs, crevasses, unexploded dynamite, WWI or II munitions, the remains of prehistoric men, tight clothing, cigarette butts, political extremism, whatever.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Here's the case of two American racers getting in an avalanche in Sölden, Austria. Bryce Astle and Ronnie Berlack died in that tragic incident. According to the foundation that was set up in their name, not knowing things are different in Europe when it comes to skiing off-piste ultimately killed them.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Reading through a little of the report above, I see that "LWD Tyrol" issues avalanche bulletins for snow conditions and avalanche forecasts. Poking around on their site a bit, I see links on the map to pretty much anywhere in the Alps. Are these the best resources for following snow conditions? What other resources are available? Do any ski resorts put out avalanche bulletins specific to their area?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Météo France has avalanche forecasts every day at 4pm.
Like in the us, the ski areas do not provide detailed forecasts.

They will just give a number, which is pretty useless, united you read the bulletin, on Météo France

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Reading through a little of the report above, I see that "LWD Tyrol" issues avalanche bulletins for snow conditions and avalanche forecasts. Poking around on their site a bit, I see links on the map to pretty much anywhere in the Alps. Are these the best resources for following snow conditions? What other resources are available? Do any ski resorts put out avalanche bulletins specific to their area?

Here:

Click the region, and it takes you to the relevant avalanche warning agency for that region.

I've not known a ski resort to put out its own avalanche information, except to share information from the relevant agency for their region.

TS
Z

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
I keep to the groomers in the knowledge that there's too much I don't know, so happy to be corrected if I'm wrong by people who use the reports, but having looked around for you, I can't see any resources specific to a resort - they all seem to be by federal state or region. The level is also indicated at the main info screens in resort. But there may be reference to specific areas within the regional report, as in this example: https://lawinen.report/blog/avalanche-warning-service-tirol.blogspot.com/3424413596158166012

You can get very localised data on temperature and wind here: https://lawinen.report/weather/measurements

Overview of all European regional avalanche sites here: https://www.alpenverein.de/DAV-Services/Lawinen-Lage/

Last edited:

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Pretty much all of the Alps are covered by avalanche bulletins. Not just some resorts, but entire regions. Sources have already been listed. All organizations are public services (paid for by governments basically). Graphics and stuff change from place to place, but the same information is in the avalanche bulletins, wherever you go.

Resorts don't have their own reports. They use the government ones. Some resorts/ski areas do participate with the avalanche services more than others, though. With weather stations, research, observations, etc. But it's always the official organization that issues the avalanche reports.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I'll add to this thread by saying the same thing I've said in the two other threads.

My research is that you shouldn't fly across the pond from North America to ski the Alps for powder skiing. Things are safer, and there's largely better snow in NA.

That said, there are things done better in Europe than North America:

Groomer skiing is generally better. This is what it's all about, so they take it seriously over there. Also, the mountains in general are bigger in the Alps, and you can ski longer runs than most places in NA. There are a number of areas that allow you to ski 5000-6000ft+ continuous vertical.

In Europe, many ski areas allow you to ski from town to town. You can't do this here in NA. Some areas let you see many towns and villages in a single day.

The food and drink for the most part is much better in Europe. Again, this is subjective, but it largely seems the consensus amongst most.

The ski culture is much different over there. après seems to have a higher importance over there than here.

Once over there, lift tickets are a lot cheaper than NA, especially vs the US. Of course the travel costs will generally outweigh this and having an Epic or Ikon megapass makes this a non-point.

At the end of the day, you usually wouldn't drive long distances go to an Italian restaurant to order a steak, when there's a great steakhouse in your neighbourhood. You might go though to get the risotto and tiramisu! The analogy is the same for powder skiing in Europe.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Perhaps people don't fly to Europe specifically to ski powder. But I do think many Americans like to ski powder and almost without exception, they have skiing powder on their list of requirements.

So, even if it isn't their reason to come to Europe, I think there still is a need for awareness about the possibilities, risks, and general management of expectations with regard to those factors.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
In my limited European experience I haven’t felt any compunction skiing off piste adjacent to a piste. On none of those occasions was it a glacier though. I totally recognise anything off the pistes is unpatrolled, and at my own risk.

Anything more than that, I hire a guide. Doing it as part of a group makes it more inexpensive.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Obergurgl, Austria. April 3rd, 2015. Avalanche just on the side of the groomers. Just an example of things not being controlled a few meters off the marked and groomed runs. A little terrain trap too. A few days before, two local kids were buried in a slide like this just off the groomers. They survived, luckily.

1664227636744.png

My own picture.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The number system itself is not enough, though. At the very least, you need to know the risks involved (WHY it is risk level X). That's one of the things that went wrong in Fiss (https://www.wintersport.nl/dorpen/fiss/forum/topic/527498). The snowboarder 'thought it was still 3', but he did not read the bulletin and the risks of wet snow slides when things warm up in the afternoon.

A 'simple' traffic light is not enough, I think. Or it would be on red for 90% of the time, just to be sure. That loses strength quickly, as a signal.

The number system says something about the likelihood of triggering an avalanche, about the outcome. But knowing why will give information about the possible cause, and thus of which places, situations, or slopes to avoid. That's vital information to mitigate risk and make wise decisions.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Perhaps people don't fly to Europe specifically to ski powder. But I do think many Americans like to ski powder and almost without exception, they have skiing powder on their list of requirements.

So, even if it isn't their reason to come to Europe, I think there still is a need for awareness about the possibilities, risks, and general management of expectations with regard to those factors.
The problem isn't Americans flying to Europe to ski powder. They fly to Europe to ski.

Skiing, by our standard, can involve groomer, trees, powder bowls... or anything in between. American skiers will ski the powder when it happens. Powder could happen "over there" just like it could happen "here". That's where the trouble starts.

For the most part, European resorts groom as soon as they can, flattening all powders! So much of the powder any American ski tourists see are either off the side of the piste, or in the "back side" of the mountain, where you sometimes see tons of tracks!

But that's where the difference between the 2 continents becomes a problem. In the US, as long as there're no boundary or closure rope, it's a fair game to ski whatever you can see! But in Europe, while they don't put ropes along side of the piste, that's where Americans should see it as such! Anything that's not groomed or a free ride zone, is not avalanche controlled. (on top of that, there're potential of crevasses in some area).

Just because it wasn't avalanche controlled doesn't mean it's unsafe to ski it. Those who are well versed in avalanche risk can make their own assessment. And those not, can pay for guide services. No difference from skiing back country in the US. So yes, you can fly over to Europe specifically to ski powder. Plenty of people fly over to specifically do the Haute Route with hired guides. Just like us easterners fly to the west to ski powder. Sometimes we get it, other times we don't.

For those who aren't getting guides, the only difference is where the resort boundary is. In the US, it's marked by the boundary rope. In Europe, it's marked by the piste marker on the side of the run.

James

Out There
Instructor

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I know what you mean. In some ski areas, they display just the risk rating (number 1-5) or show a flag with the corresponding color. Of course, it's up to the skier to inform themselves of the conditions and the background of that simple signal. But more people than you can imagine go off-piste, because 'there wasn't a black flag'.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I know I asked this before, but I wonder if it would be profitable for a major Euro ski resort to run their ski area similar to how we do things in NA. I think the reply was that there is private property (aka farms and homesteads) to worry about. Surely though it could be done.

Permanently rope off the worst trouble zones (cliffs, crevasses, overly prone areas), but manage the off-piste everywhere else between the runs.

It might not help lift lines, but it would spread people out on the mountain better. If they in turn added lifts with the newfound acreage, it would increase the number of people you could get on the hill overall, thus increasing profits.

Sponsor