• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Preseason Ski Talk Gathering, 28 Aug 2022, Wash DC

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is an open invitation for any and all Ski Talkers in the Washington DC metro area to join us for an informal, outdoor Happy Hour/Picnic from 5-8 PM on Sunday, Aug 28, 2022 at Mitchell Park in the upscale Kalorama neighborhood of Northwest DC. The address is: 23rd St NW & S Street Northwest, Washington, D.C., DC 20008
The plan is to bring your own food and drinks (discreetly please) and lawn chair. I'll bring a few extra chairs and try to get there a few minutes before 5 PM to set up camp with a large US flag next to my spot.

Mitchell Park is a small, well maintained park in an upscale enclave of Northwest D.C. near numerous embassies and the Spanish Steps. Features include: street parking, playground, large grassy play field, beautiful landscaping, picnic tables, and many shaded benches for relaxing on hot days. In the event of hard rain we'll make a game-time decision at the park around 530 PM to relocate to a nearby bar, perhaps The Board Room.

Let me know if you have any questions. Send PM if you want my cell number.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Jim, great idea and a good location. I'll be there. I've sat at the shaded tables in the garden area in this park in the past and eaten a meal with my daughter. How sure are you about the easy parking situation?

That's not too many blocks from the Obama's house.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's Sunday and it's not Georgetown - should be OK-ish. @Rudi Riet would know best.

On a Sunday in Sheridan-Kalorama it's not too bad. Residential parking isn't enforced on Sundays so while you may need to park a block or two from the park it's no biggie. It's also about a 7 minute walk from the Q Street exit of the Dupont Circle Metro station.

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Count me in. I will be driving back from a sculling camp in Lancaster, VA on Sunday afternoon, likely I will be late.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Streets that typically have available parking on Sundays (but may be a little walk to Mitchell Park):

- Decatur Place NW (simply go up the Spanish Steps on 22nd Street and take a left on S to get to Mitchell Park)
- 24th Street NW between S Street and Tracy Place
- Bancroft Place NW (iffy behind the park, typically easier to find spots on the 2300 block)

You may luck out finding spots on S Street in front of the park, but this is a crapshoot at best. Same with 23rd Street NW or Phelps Place NW.

Massachusetts Ave is devoid of parking spots, doubly so with the current construction project.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Of note: there are no public restrooms at Mitchell Park.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I remember a building with bathrooms in it. Maybe they are closed due to covid. I'll check tomorrow to confirm. My memory is not reliable.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember a building with bathrooms in it. Maybe they are closed due to covid. I'll check tomorrow to confirm. My memory is not reliable.

Said building is occasionally open for restroom use. It's a multipurpose room and maintenance shed.

Porta-potties are not a big thing in DC parks where there's a... well-to-do population around. They try to dissuade homeless encampments (which is cruel but also something that the Sheridan-Kalorama neighborhood, being one of the most well-off in the country, is keen on preventing). I've not seen one there (I'm at the park multiple times per week) but who knows? Might be one there now.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Said building is occasionally open for restroom use. It's a multipurpose room and maintenance shed.

Porta-potties are not a big thing in DC parks where there's a... well-to-do population around. They try to dissuade homeless encampments (which is cruel but also something that the Sheridan-Kalorama neighborhood, being one of the most well-off in the country, is keen on preventing). I've not seen one there (I'm at the park multiple times per week) but who knows? Might be one there now.
Right. I walked over there to Mitchell Park this evening. There is a building there just as I remembered it except there are no bathrooms, so my memory was faulty. There is nothing on the barricaded doors indicating the hours the building is open to the public, so we should assume no bathrooms available. There are no portapotties. The neighborhood surrounding the park is residential so no businesses with public restrooms either.

If we want bathrooms, Kalorama Park nearby on Columbia Rd has them in its recreation center building. I walked by there on the way back. The bathrooms are in working order, and were unlocked when I checked around 7:30 pm. Kalorama Park sits right up against Columbia which is a busy commercial street. There is significant sidewalk traffic, so Kalorama Park not as secluded and quiet as Mitchell Park.

Do we need bathrooms?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also: tougher to have "adult beverages" at Kalorama Park than at Mitchell Park.

So it's the tradeoff....

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Also: tougher to have "adult beverages" at Kalorama Park than at Mitchell Park.

So it's the tradeoff....
I know some of these people. I can't imagine them attracting unwanted attention from the authorities. (More's the pity.)

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do we need bathrooms?
No, but since the two parks are only about a 10 minute walk apart, we could do a chaperoned stroll to the restrooms about halfway through our gathering as needed to keep all guests comfortable.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No, but since the two parks are only about a 10 minute walk apart, we could do a chaperoned stroll to the restrooms about halfway through our gathering as needed to keep all guests comfortable.

Or just use the restrooms at Dawson's Market (20th and S Streets NW). It's a shorter walk and a great place to replenish supplies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January