• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

quiverkillers, or binding freedom

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So many threads and so many opinions, is consensus still that BF is a smidge nicer than QQ?

I got about 10-15 pairs of skis to mount up.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
NO. What is BF? What is QQ?

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Quiver Qillers? :p it kinda made sense when I wrote it, but yeah lets call them BF and QK ;)

we pronounce K and Q pretty similar, I'm gonna blame that :p

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pretty sure the BF were the original, QK kind of copied idea.

James

Out There
Instructor
For 98% of people they don’t make sense.
I thought I was in that 2% range. After doing it, not so sure. They’re a pain for questionable benefit.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
do tell james, to install? or to switch?

I have like 30+ pairs of skis, and I do switch quite often like 10-15 pairs every season ,goal is buying not jesters in bulkpack, and not loosing so much money, people dont wanna pay the $$ for a jester during resale.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, a pain to install, but if your setup for it, probably not so bad. Be sure to gett a counter sink to take the burr off with metal top sheet skis, can even be by hand tool.

The switching thing I never did. I thought I would, but for the usual resort skiing it’s just frankly ridiculous. I thought travel...but I started to go to Switzerland without skis. That’s easier, lol.
I suppose if I had five pairs with Pivot 18’s instead of two, I might reconsider.

It did make it easy to remove shims on the toe. I went to a shop in Chamonix. The guy refused to believe I had machine screws in there with inserts. “Yes, I did it myself...” Didn’t believe me! More the customer is always a moron,

The reason he didn’t believe it is the screws they use don’t look like flat head binding screws like the BF’s or the QQ’s. They get sort of round/pan head screws. Can’t remember if they’re even Pozi, I’d have to look. Not nearly as nice,

I think because there’s a tariff on screws and the like. They complained about the quality of threaded star inserts they got for boot work also.

But, they’re pretty regularly used in Chamonix. A lot of the guides travel in spring and need to save room in the trunk or ski bag I guess.

(I honestly don’t know which I used, unfortunately, a disastrous mix. The insert was 1mm longer than the bit, not pretty on the bottom of the ski. Nothing a base grind couldn’t fix.)

But, you sound like you may be in the 1/2 percent group. It may make sense. At least for not buying so many bindings.
With that many bindings I’d get a dedicated jig, not one of those modular things. Way too easy to mess up with those. Takes too much time constantly checking too. Trust me, especially if the skis are well cambered.

Last edited:
TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have jig/drillpress and access to workshop at work with calipers taps etc, Im also familiar working with fiberglass and countersinking in gelcoat etc , and fairly decent home setup with a hobby room so not to worried about install part.

When I fly to the alps, I'm usually limited to 1 or 2 sets of skis, or when I travel with friends cars.. and well I liike to bring a ton of skis so I can really nail ski to condition and what I want. I always bring powder skis, and tend not to get powder... so yeah more skis alway helps

The storage aspect of having 30+ pairs of skis, most with binding is also a bit of a nightmare, spread out over rooms, garage, storage unit basement etc. I have a wall with skis just put up as art as a result, camulfaged as art mostly since I needed somewhere to put them.

Can you blame the random ski shop guys? allthough I find not all people working at ski shops doesnt always mean they know that much about skis or bindings or mounting, sadly.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....I have a wall with skis just put up as art as a result, camulfaged as art mostly since I needed somewhere to put them.
Picture please. You are not the only one with a wall.

James

Out There
Instructor
Quiver Killer: https://quiverkiller.com/pages/our-technology Looks like an interesting product, really awful web site.

Binding Freedom: https://www.bindingfreedom.com/ I'd choose Binding Freedom just for the easier to navigate web site.
Yeah, but Quiver Killer has a hot dog toaster.
Wtf??
B24146FA-D8BC-440F-9202-9958F44FE87C.jpeg

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Marker Schizio bindings might be easier. They swap on and off quickly with just a screwdriver (Swiss army knife phillips worked in the parking lot in Japan in a pinch). The Schizio tracks are flat and light so easy for travel and storage. Plus you can adjust the mount position to suit the conditions - maybe you won't need as big a quiver.

Eric

James

Out There
Instructor
Marker Schizio bindings might be easier. They swap on and off quickly with just a screwdriver (Swiss army knife phillips worked in the parking lot in Japan in a pinch). The Schizio tracks are flat and light so easy for travel and storage. Plus you can adjust the mount position to suit the conditions - maybe you won't need as big a quiver.

Eric

Right, or demo bindings.
Either is much easier than being enslaved to unscrewing, losing a screw, having to use locktite on the screw, blah blah blah.

Maybe try a few first?

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Different widths, swapping brakes..... Seems way easier and faster to simply mount bindings on every pair skis. Binding really aren't that expensive is you buy them in the summer on discount.

TS
A

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
jester 16 or look pivot forzas are sadly expensive, even in summer.

traditionally I've always just mounted bindings and sold with them, and just taken the loss on resale. I have quite a few people that love buying skis from me at least :p

Considering just "cheaping" out and doing some griffon's like Quandry says, the are not that expensive.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Binding Freedom does have bigger following. And if you need a toaster for hot dog buns, aluminum and your vehicle manifold work well.

Sponsor

Staff online