• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Same ex racer is selling a pair of y series Dynastar from season 2018/2019
IMG-20201102-WA0004.jpg

Any thoughts on the differences betweem the 2017/2018 and the 2018/2019 models?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Top sheet and plate (R22 rather than R21) .....
The big change was on the 17/18 when they narrowed the tip and moved the plate forward an inch (still the R21 on the 17/18)

And yes, that little white sticker on the tail is normally an indication it is (one level) of the team skis. Often the black sidewall as well but that is not always accurate

Peter P

Booting up
Skier
There is nothing finesse about the Head i.SL.RD 165 ... it requires manhandling and a lot of attention at the top of the turn - does that put it in the "power" category? The 160 is much sweeter.

The Atomic FIS 165 is really nice. I skied a softer one, a 37/27 and it's really nice to engage... I would say finesse, although it's really energetic as well.

Skied an Atomic 158 and a Fischer 158 as well and they are sweet - I would put them in the finesse category, although they're got lots of power - I don't think there's a FIS SL to be lacking in the power category...?
I have my sights set on Atomic FIS S9 however cannot decide between 157 versus 165 ... I am 5'11" 180ish ... 51yo ... currently using Stockli FIS SL 165 and am looking for something one small notch easier to bend on Nastar course. Thanks

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tough one. We can make an argument both ways, I know of good masters racers using both... You're on the big side so maybe I would lean on the side of the 165... For my part, for freeskiing, I'm not going under 165 anymore, they become too twitchy.

What about a 165 somewhat used? Or get a 165 and free-ski it a lot to soften it some? That an option? Or if you can choose the stiffness of the S9, get the softest 165?

p.s. that was an old post - back then the Head was the black top sheet version, which was followed later by the white top sheet ones which are much better at the top of the turn. Also, I skied a lot more SLs since then... my favorite FIS SL is still the Fischer, but now I'm warming up to the Blossom - which has a different character. Dynastars are not entirely bad either... I don't know the Stocklis SL - what do they ski like? Sounds like they're quite beefy.

Last edited:

maxwerks

Booting up
Skier
Almost 2 years later, but do you still remember the differences? : )
Hah! another 6 months and a foot operation on. I was never able to directly compare the skis because I sold the Dynastars on to my trainer. I can report the Rossis are more powerful and stiff, compared to my Fischer rc4 and Volkl FIS SL. I like them best when it gets icy and need an immediate edge grip. When more finesse is required I take the softer skis. For sure my slalom technique is not good enough to truly utilize a Rossi y series. Its a lot of ski!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tested a handful of next season's FIS SLs today. The Stöcklis were way stiffer than anything else I got on. N.B. these were retail FIS skis, not race stock, and Nordica didn't have the R.D. to try.
You going to give us more notes?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Right you are. Give me another go on them tomorrow. Conditions were wank for judging SLs today, probably will be tomorrow but at least I'll have had a few more runs.
Anything in particular you'd like to know?
Nope. Just your impressions.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right you are. Give me another go on them tomorrow. Conditions were wank for judging SLs today, probably will be tomorrow but at least I'll have had a few more runs.
Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Forget all those skis that are not blue and dont have Stockli on them. Concentrate on the Lasers. Super importanrt.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yeah, Stockli makes some great skis, but around here, their race skis are not as popular as those from some other manufacturers; in addition, the ones I have skied on have not performed as well as those from other vendors. You have got to try and see what works for you and your style.

Sponsor

Staff online