• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi, hope everyone is having a great start to their season.

I am looking for an intermediate level frontside ski for the purpose of progressing in technique in a season-long program of lessons and drills I've got arranged this year. Solid intermediate here.

This is a quiver ski, for this purpose, not a OSQ. I'll be working on my carving, moguls, short and medium turns, and overall form and technique. I've been told I need a ski I can bend easily, has good positive feedback, and doesn't need a ton of speed. Will be doing LOTS of drills.

Thus I'm thinking a 90/10 frontside ski with a traditional shape, ~15m or less TR, a few mm's of tip and tail rocker maybe but otherwise mostly full camber, 70 - 80mm in width, medium flex, and on the lighter side. Currently looking at the:

Nordica GT 80
Blizzard Quattro Ti or CA

Anybody have feedback on these skis? Almost no reviews on the Nordicas. Anything else I should be looking at? Perhaps an i.rally or one of the new v-shapes? The RTM's have too high a TR for what I'm looking for.

Cheers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head V-shape V8 would be at the top of my list...

19-v8-tc-png.46090

Head V-Shape V8
Dimensions: 130-75-112
Radius: 13.2m@170cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170, 177
Size tested: 170
Design: All New

Andy Mink: The all-new Head V8 should be a force in the intermediate to advanced market. With a shape similar to the very successful Supershape series, the V8 is a carving machine; at the same time, it is not as demanding as its iBrethren. It is one of those skis capable of giving more when pressed, but it doesn’t need to be skied hard to perform well. It easily makes tight or wide turns and, with a little tail and tip rise, can be pushed around as the snow softens. The rounded tail will not beat you up in the bumps.

Filling the next-to-top spot in the V-Shape series (V2 through V10), the V8 will appeal to those advancing skiers who stay mainly on the groomers but may venture a little onto the shoulders of the runs. Like the omnipotent V8 engine, this V8 can be used to cruise or rip, your choice.
  • Who is it for? Intermediate to advanced skiers looking for near-iPerformance at a friendlier price point.
  • Who is it not for? The skier who spends most of the day in the bumps, trees, or pow.
  • Intermediate tip: The V8 is a great ski for those who want to hone their carving skills but don't want to carve all the time.

Doug Briggs: This 75mm-waisted ski is a solid performer. It has good grip and is pretty turny. The V8 is very playful but it does have its limits.
  • Who is it for? Folks who like to make a lot of small turns.
  • Who is it not for? People who like to rip big turns on the groomers.
  • Insider tip: This is an iRally for the intermediate to advanced skier.

Philpug: The V8 was the SST (Surprise Ski of the Test) for me. At 76 mm underfoot in the reference 170 size, it could be the perfect instructor's ski. Narrow enough to be quick edge to edge. Soft enough to allow the skier to ease into a turn at a slow speed. Stable enough to let 'er run when needed. So, if you are looking at a Supershape but feel like you just don’t need all that power, the V8 could be the one.
  • Who is it for? Wannabe instructors that want but don’t need nth-degree precision.
  • Who is it not for? Bigger or stronger skiers who want to charge. No worries, there is the i.Titan.
  • Insider tip: Err on the short side.

Ron: At 76 mm underfoot, the V8 is a bit softer and more user-friendly than the Rally but still provides a huge bandwidth of performance. Head seems to have created a ski that does what few other skis can do; it super easy to ski but has a high level of performance and exactness. If you are a lighter skier or just don't want the ponies that are found in the Supershape series, put this ski as No. 1 on your demo list (next to the V10). Easy turn entry but still precise, the tail won't punish you but can hold a turn at speed. The V8 still packs tons o' fun and plenty of performance. I really liked how much fun this ski was while still able to dish out a high level of performance with plenty of stability.
  • Who is it for? Lighter skiers or those who don't want a demanding ski but still want a something that is precise and skis like a much more serious ski.
  • Who is it not for? Probably not the best choice for Clydesdales, hard chargers, or those who don't like to have their skis on edge.
  • Insider tip: The V-Shape delivers a surprising level of performance with considerable ease.
Tricia: Every once in a while I get to ski a ski that surprises me. The V8 is one of those skis. Head has been known to make strong carving skis for the aggressive corduroy junkie, so you may not think that they need to add more tools to their carving toolbox, until you click into their V8. For someone who's a light weight like me, this was soft enough to bend, while not wimpy, and narrow enough to carve precise turns without demeaning that I make every turn precise. This is one of those skis that is an easy choice for the skier who wants a great corduroy carver without committing to the more aggressive carvers that tend to fill this part of the ski wall. In fact, if I were an instructor, I think this would be a great pick for the job.

• Who is it for? A finesse skier looking for a compliant carving ski
  • Who is it not for? An aggressive, heavy or hard charging skier
  • Insider tip: Don't overthink it

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
V8 is a good option. I would also like to add Nordica Spitfire TI or Pro (TI has 1 sheet of metal, the Pro has 2, but both skis would do very well). Dynastar Speedzone 9 CA or even 12 TI would be great options too.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
V8 is a good option. I would also like to add Nordica Spitfire TI or Pro (TI has 1 sheet of metal, the Pro has 2, but both skis would do very well). Dynastar Speedzone 9 CA or even 12 TI would be great options too.
All those skis are fine options...all are interchangable...you could mask all of the graphics and probably have difficulty saying which was which...it is the shape of the V8 that seperates from the rest of the class. Head made the V-Shapes for one purpose...to be the ski that the OP is asking for.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been told I need a ski I can bend easily, has good positive feedback, and doesn't need a ton of speed. Will be doing LOTS of drills.

Another option: DPS Trainer. How big are you and where do you ski?

TS
epicentre

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
All those skis are fine options...all are interchangable...you could mask all of the graphics and probably have difficulty saying which was which...it is the shape of the V8 that seperates from the rest of the class. Head made the V-Shapes for one purpose...to be the ski that the OP is asking for.

Thanks for the advice Philpug, you always come through.. Sounds like the V-8 is exactly what I'm looking for. Just need to sell a couple pair of skis to pay the $800 for them. Any thoughts on the Nordica GT or Quattro 80 for this purpose? Can find them and the Dobermanns on the used market for half the price. If you really feel the V8 is the superior ski for the job though, I'll find a way to dish out for them.
Another option: DPS Trainer. How big are you and where do you ski?

6'2" 170lbs, Whitefish. 177cm length for the Head V8?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the advice Philpug, you always come through.. Sounds like the V-8 is exactly what I'm looking for. Just need to sell a couple pair of skis to pay the $800 for them. Any thoughts on the Nordica GT or Quattro 80 for this purpose? Can find them and the Dobermanns on the used market for half the price. If you really feel the V8 is the superior ski for the job though, I'll find a way to dish out for them.

6'2" 170lbs, Whitefish. 177cm length for the Head V8?
Honestly, I think it IS worth the difference. If you want a shorter turn, the 170, medium, 177. Really depends on turn shape desired.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
What about the K2 iKonic 80 or 84? Seems like it would check all the boxes you are looking for.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That rounded tail and nose are exactly what I'm looking for to split the difference between Latigo and Titan. How does the Deacon compare?
The Deacon is much more aggressive.

TS
epicentre

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
Did a bit more research into the V-Shapes, and they really seem to check off all the boxes. To anyone who is more familiar with this series from Head:

Since I may have to sell my 89mm skis to afford these bad boys, would it make any sense to consider the V10 since I wouldn't have my daily-driver anymore? Assuming the V10 could double as my intended learning ski as well as a more versatile daily driver... But maybe they'd be too stiff or wide and less suitable to progress with.

On the flip-side to that, could I expect the V8's to perform as an all-mountain daily driver? By that I mean I would ski them in pretty much all conditions on and off-piste up to a few inches of fresh snow. Even if I have to dial things back a bit, that would be OK. Anything over that and I'm taking out my soft snow skis. Just exploring my options until my bank account is in a better place. As I'd be down to a 2-ski quiver.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Did a bit more research into the V-Shapes, and they really seem to check off all the boxes. To anyone who is more familiar with this series from Head:

Since I may have to sell my 89mm skis to afford these bad boys, would it make any sense to consider the V10 since I wouldn't have my daily-driver anymore? Assuming the V10 could double as my intended learning ski as well as a more versatile daily driver... But maybe they'd be too stiff or wide and less suitable to progress with.

On the flip-side to that, could I expect the V8's to perform as an all-mountain daily driver? By that I mean I would ski them in pretty much all conditions on and off-piste up to a few inches of fresh snow. Even if I have to dial things back a bit, that would be OK. Anything over that and I'm taking out my soft snow skis. Just exploring my options until my bank account is in a better place. As I'd be down to a 2-ski quiver.

I thought you were pretty happy with your Armada Invictus 89ti ? (I think that's what you were on last year). What made you start looking for something different?

btw I should be in Whitefish mid January, we'll do some turns together...

TS
epicentre

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
I thought you were pretty happy with your Armada Invictus 89ti ? (I think that's what you were on last year). What made you start looking for something different?

btw I should be in Whitefish mid January, we'll do some turns together...

Oh, very happy with them. They are still my daily driver. But it has been suggested, for the purposes of addressing some of my technical issues and with the intention of some of the lessons I'm taking this year that I should be on a bit more traditional ski with quite a bit different specs.

Glad to hear you'll be back in town! Hit me up when you get here and we'll definitely do some turns.

TS
epicentre

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
BTW I'm just going to grab the 170cm V8's since that seems to be all around the most solid recommendation both here and my friends and instructors on the mountain. Especially since I'll be working specifically on dynamic short turns. Cheers!

Sponsor

Staff online