• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Redster XTI XT and Redster X7 sizing

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I'm looking at last years Redster XTI XT and this year's Redster X7. I'm 5'10" 175-180lbs, advanced skier. Wanting to add a dedicated performance piste carver to my quiver. Actually, to replace a set of 2012/2013 Atomic FIS D2 Race GS skis (>=23.5m).

I've assumed I'd be selecting the XTI in a 176 or the X7 in a 175. That appears to be the longest I can get them in. But these are in fact "cross" skis and this has me a bit unsure how you size them. I mean, should you select the size based on desired turn radius or skier height/weight? The next size down is 168/169 - which is shorter than I've been on for a non-slalom ski.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
The only 'cross' thing about them is that the longer two lengths of the XTI are actually the Redster Edge GS in 176 and 169 with a different print, the shorter two lengths of that same ski happe to be the Redster Edge SL in 164 and 157. So, the series is a combination of two SL lengths and two GS lengths. 176 is the longest. If you want longer, try and find the Redster Edge GS in 183.

Same goes for this year's X7. The longest two are actually the G7, the shorter two are the S7. There is a longer G7, if you want, in 182.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm 6ft 180 lbs and on last years 182 Redster xt doubledeck. Might want to look at them too if you are coming off an FIS race ski.

LJH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Santa brought me a pair of XTi's for Christmas to replace my worn out Fischer Progressor 900's. I am 51, 5'10" and 195. I raced in high school and did a bunch of Nastar after college and currently ski 30-40 days a season. I skied the Progressors in a 180 but last much I broke my tib/fib and needed a nail. I am about 85% now but since I am not nearly as strong as usual I decided to go a bit shorter then what I normally ski and got the 169's. Today is my third day on them and LOVE them. They are a bunch quicker edge to edge then the Fischers and you can lay them over at a much lower speed which is just what I was looked no for while my leg gets up to full strength. The only down side is that they are not as stable in a straight line at speed. I was always one to go directly to the longest offering in a ski and was really concerned about how I would like a wee bit shorter ski.....I may have been converted to smaller radius ski, just so much fun.

I got my XTi's off eBay for $425 shipped so if price is a factor I really do not think you can go wrong with these if you are looking for a dedicated carver.

Off to dig more trenches....

Cheers,
Jim

LJH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Two more more days since I last chimed in. Skiing mostly southern VT groomers and I am totally stoked with the 169's. New V-max record for the season today and as long as I was holding the longest of radius turn the skis were still totally planted. I also ventured into some natural mogals today and the XTi's felt pretty darn good...and the leg held up better than I expected.

5 days and around 75k' (it was cold....) of vertical and I can say the XTi are really fun as well as pretty darn easy to ski.....I am kind of curious how the 176's would be but I am really enjoying skiing the 169's.

Happy New Year.

Cheers,
Jim

Sponsor

Staff online