• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Renoun Z-90

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the Renoun Z-90 in 180 today, nearly all day, at Sun Valley. Conditions included hard pack, smooth corn, skied out corn, and soft corny bumps. No new snow of any kind on offer. Extensive observations follow:

Hard Pack: Pretty special. Plenty of edge hold. Really quick for a 90. Nice but controlled energy, then the magical, unexpected dampness shows up at higher speeds, and things are smoother than you would dare hope for in a ski this quick. I love the sidecut profile, but as most here know, I am a sidecut whore, stating that it's easier to skid a carvy ski than carve a skiddy ski. Bravo on the fat tail! There were, however, one or two quick experiences that had me wondering about the flex profile. More later.

Smooth Corn: Well, what isn't great on smooth corn? These were a blast, again exhibiting the great combination of quickness and energy in short turns, and damp stability when letting things rip. Again, I absolutely loved the sidecut profile. These PULL you into a turn with glee, and seemed perfectly happy at around 60, making railroad tracks down upper Broadway (and halfway up the cat track to the Seattle Ridge Lodge!).

Skied Out Corn: In the "catch and release" stuff later in the day consisting of piles of slush interspersed with scrapy sorta-ice, the skis were very good (and this is maybe not my favorite snow). They transitioned well between the two kinds of snow, with no erratic catch and release behavior. This snow, in groomed areas, sends me immediately to.......

Bumps: In small to medium bumps, whether soft or firm, the excellent behavior noted above continued. Great energy, but not uncontrollable pop. The only significant caveat I have for this ski is big bumps, whether they are soft or firm. Either the flex profile of the shovel is a bit too stiff or abrupt, or the non-rounded tips are a little grabby. I'm not savvy enough to know which, but I suspect the flex profile is the culprit. In any event, I proved to myself on about five different runs that this ski is not as smooth or enjoyable in big/sharp bumps as either my Head Titan 177s or Fischer Motive 95 186s.

Length: This ski is a short 180. I could not measure it directly, but it is over an inch shorter than a Nordica FireArrow 80 Pro 181, and just barely longer than a Nordica Enforcer 177 (which is what my partners were skiing).

My Final Take: Close, or so close, and oh so wonderful in most every regard. If it were a true 180 (or even 182), and the flex profile were tweaked in front, and it cost $1,000 I'd throw down in a heartbeat, because that would truly make it "two skis in one" as @Philpug has noted in other threads.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K.

While I have said over and over, the metric system is a subjective unit in measurement but I will disagree regarding the Z90 being short, I think it is dead on. Here it is next to the 180 Bonafide...

IMG_0472.JPG

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K.

While I have said over and over, the metric system is a subjective unit in measurement but I will disagree regarding the Z90 being short, I think it is dead on. Here it is next to the 180 Bonafide...

Fair point. Ski lengths are VERY subjective.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's a catch 22 for a ski that is really good on hardpack at moderate to high speed to be supple and nimble enough to ski bigger, rutted bumps REALLY well. The latter requires something a little shorter and softer than the former.

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Tom K.

View attachment 21063

Well on an actual straight pull the Bonafide measures 178cm on a 180. It all boild down to if the company measures pre-pressed material length, or straight pull on a pressed ski.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I try not to focus too much on the length (not saying to ignore it, however), just like we shouldn't over-focus on the R (right Phil? ogwink)
Question for the OP: does the 180 Z-90 actually ski shorter than you like? If so, how/why? And just to round things out, what's your weight/height?

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try not to focus too much on the length (not saying to ignore it, however), just like we shouldn't over-focus on the R (right Phil? ogwink)
Question for the OP: does the 180 Z-90 actually ski shorter than you like? If so, how/why? And just to round things out, what's your weight/height?

I meant to include my height of 6'2" and weight of 200 pounds. By the time I tried, it was too late to edit my post, so @Philpug, feel free to insert that information if you'd like.

To answer your question Paul, yes, it skied shorter than I was hoping for in a do everything ski. I skied a 184 Monster today, and the length felt perfect everywhere.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I meant to include my height of 6'2" and weight of 200 pounds. By the time I tried, it was too late to edit my post, so @Philpug, feel free to insert that information if you'd like.

To answer your question Paul, yes, it skied shorter than I was hoping for in a do everything ski. I skied a 184 Monster today, and the length felt perfect everywhere.
I can see this. I am similar size to you. I ski my motive 95 in 180 and love it. I am not an expert skier and I tend toward finesse. The 180 Z-90 was the perfect length for me. So I can totally see a more experienced and aggressive skier finding it a bit short. The 184 monster is a LOT more ski in stiffness and has less early rise. I bet the contact length difference is as much as 8-10cm between these two skis.

Sponsor

Staff online