• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone found a rental outfit at any of the popular ski-resort access airports that rents vehicles with snow tires?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No. Snow tires wear down way faster than regular tires, especially on warm dry roads. Rental car companies are too cheap to equip cars with snows. They also can't guarantee a car rented in Denver won't get returned in Houston or vice versa.. Tracking what car has cold weather tires or replacing tires that wear out faster more often don't seem like logistics that major rental cars are concerned with. Your best bet is an AWD with the standard all (NO) season tires they come with or finding out what tire size the rental car comes with and buying chains to have ready if you need them and returning the chains at the end of your trip if you don't use them..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Choose a company that allows a free pick from a class and pick the best rubber on the row. I've had respectable Hankooks on Kias and Hyundais before.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Choose a company that allows a free pick from a class and pick the best rubber on the row. I've had respectable Hankooks on Kias and Hyundais before.

Unless it's AWD that won't get you past a chain law checkpoint..

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Unless it's AWD that won't get you past a chain law checkpoint..

Depends where you are - not all state DOTs put a lot into chain checkpoints. And yes I'd always advocate picking up cables at an O'Reillys or whatever on the way to the hill.

Sponsor