• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Retro MTB

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20210728_175245.jpg

This is my first mountain bike, 1988 Rocky Mountain Hammer, first year they introduced it. It is now my shopping bike. I kept it up to date through the 90's, with some upgrades. Now I just ride it to market and commuting. It is still a great riding bike

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20210728_174836.jpg

This is my 1991 Rocky Mountain Cirrus. It was never a great mountain bike. The elevated chainstay design was way too flexible and twisty. It is a fantastic ride for bombing around town. All original, full Deore LX

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia brought out a Klein Attitude SS when she moved out to Tahoe. I later converted it back to a 1x7 that rode for two seasons. It was a different kind of fun for a while. I then got a Cannondale Trigger which was muuuch more fun...and now the Habit Neo which is a giggle fest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sure is! Don't know what part of the country you're at but for technical single track even 69 degrees is too SLACK. When they went to 71 degree things go so much better. Now I'll agree those same bikes aren't the ticket for bombing down rough terrain at any kind of speed but that's not what I ride.
You're describing DH oriented bikes. Perhaps that's why I find the later 80's and 90's bike so likable still, they work where I ride them. I was talking with a buddy that I rode with back them and his first comment was we never got back to the car without getting bloody! Damn New England rocks, roots and mud for ya!

My Cannondale 'Beast from the east' M800 is still a joy for me ogsmile

View attachment 138759
Ok, you go ahead and use your 71 degree bike.

But you have no idea what you're missing. And i ride in California, lake Tahoe and we have plenty of technical single track.

You probably don't believe in full suspension or dropper posts.

To each his own

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanksgiving 1984, on the White Rim Trail with a Trek, a Myata and a Stumpjumper. One of the first trips ever on the circuit, we could see the tracks of friends who did it six weeks earlier. The bikes have improved, but we had as much fun then as anyone does today. Sorry, not many bike shots.

wr1.JPG
wr2.JPG
wr3.JPG

Last edited:

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's a few more. We drove out partway to stash water when the desert was not so dry. No tour companies, permits, or cool magazine shoots in Moab back then. The locals saw some potential in this "mountain bike thing"

wr4.JPG
wr5.JPG
wr6.JPG
wr7.JPG

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Ok, you go ahead and use your 71 degree bike.

But you have no idea what you're missing. And i ride in California, lake Tahoe and we have plenty of technical single track.

You probably don't believe in full suspension or dropper posts.

To each his own

Rod, I have a '18 FS, full XT group, dropper post mtb. So yes I am familiar with the newish stuff.
But this is a RETRO mtb thread, so we are talking about them here. There are plenty of other threads that talk about the new(er) stuff.
Just as with ski gear,
vive la différence :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get the retro thing, but more w/r/t road bikes. My current Fuel EX is the best all around mtb I've owned.

But I sure had a lot of fun over the years on older bikes including some favorites:

GT RTS, LTS and Zaskar
Turner 5 Spot, RFX, Sultan 1 and 2, and Czar
Previous Fuel EX (120 at both ends, before it's time of the current "down country" trend, and the fastest endurance racing bike I've ever owned).

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lets draw the date line in the mud at Pre 2000.
You know when bike were lighter, rugged, simple and FUN!

I'll lead in with this 1982 Specialized Stumpjumper. She was at the front of the production specialized (pun intended!) mountainbike scene. Design by Tim Neenan.
View attachment 138711
For the roadies out there Tim also penned the design of the Expedition, Sequoya and Allez.

Have a look at the kit on this early bike. Many of the items on it, now being imported into the USA by Mike Sinyard. The long story on Mike here;

Onto the bike!

View attachment 138712

View attachment 138713

View attachment 138714

View attachment 138715
If I recall I was simpler, more rugged, lighter and more fun 30 years ago...:)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a stump jumper about 30 years ago when I could ride half a mile and get on a trailhead into the Santa Monica mountains. I liked them and get where @ BillTalbot is coming from- there is a lot to be said for simplicity when you are in wilderness and I never worried that anything would break on that bike or that I had to “ baby” it because it cost a fortune or was in any way vulnerable. That said, I wish the brakes were as good as they are now but in general, I like steel frames on bikes, carbon second and aluminum if there is no other choice.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I had a stump jumper about 30 years ago when I could ride half a mile and get on a trailhead into the Santa Monica mountains. I liked them and get where @ BillTalbot is coming from- there is a lot to be said for simplicity when you are in wilderness and I never worried that anything would break on that bike or that I had to “ baby” it because it cost a fortune or was in any way vulnerable. That said, I wish the brakes were as good as they are now but in general, I like steel frames on bikes, carbon second and aluminum if there is no other choic grabbinge.
That's true about not having to baby a bike because it's fragile.

That's why i don't worry about weight on a bike, reliable components, lots of travel first. And if I'm slower on the up, so what.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m looking for an old Trek 720 or equivalent to turn into a commuter/gravel bike after hip #2 gets replaced. I enjoy building up bikes and there is now so much to choose from its
hard to decide with so many options but that’s part of the fun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m looking for an old Trek 720 or equivalent to turn into a commuter/gravel bike after hip #2 gets replaced. I enjoy building up bikes and there is now so much to choose from its
Like I said, I like the idea of finding an older bike, my ideal would be a Trek 990 in Root Beet with a 19" frame to make a One By but they are going for "good money" Talk about stupid money, look up old Kleins especially pre Trek and with some of the unique paint schemes, crazy numbers.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

Dan,
I purposely searched for this in 'road bike' sizing. This is 98% original and will be an awesome gravelish bike for me.
'87 Fat Chance

87 Fat Chance.jpg

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Like I said, I like the idea of finding an older bike, my ideal would be a Trek 990 in Root Beet with a 19" frame to make a One By but they are going for "good money" Talk about stupid money, look up old Kleins especially pre Trek and with some of the unique paint schemes, crazy numbers.
I know- these used to be garage sale bikes but now, like everything currently scarce, going for crazy money. I’d take a bare frame if the price was right but I suspect I’m not the only one with this idea.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January