• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Review: Volkl RTM 86 UVO

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Obtainable tenaciousness -- it is a mouthful, but it is the only way to describe the Volkl RTM 86 UVO in two words. Volkl has offered a flagship all-mountain frontside ski going back to the V-Werks RTM and Grizzly, but neither ski ever approached the performance of the new RTM 86 UVO. The new RTM possesses the power you would expect from a Volkl, but I had never before skied a Volkl as refined as this one. I was blown away by how smooth this ski is, by how it holds power through a turn yet does not punish you. If the RTM 86 were a car, it would be a Mercedes S63 AMG, pure power wrapped in a cocoon of luxury and the ability to cruise along at any speed without breathing hard. But when thrown into a turn, it will dance with anyone.

IMG_0178.JPG

I skied the RTM 86 all morning in perfect hero snow. Yes, most skis would perform acceptably, but this one excelled. The 177 length was absolutely perfect through the turn from initiation through apex; I even wondered a few times how the 172 would feel in these conditions. With the subtlety of the early rise, turn entry was easily progressive, but the middle of the turn is what separated the new and vastly improved RTM from the previous generation. Why? Because this generation has … camber! Yes, camber is back; it is what gives you a connection to the snow, and what produces the pop. THANK YOU Volkl for bringing this important design aspect back to this collection. Coming out of the turn, I could release the tail at will or hold it and launch into the next turn; either way the RTM was happy to to do whatever I asked.

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.JPG

The surprise of the day was how well the RTM 86 performed in the bumps! With the recent snow in Tahoe, some nice natural bumps have built up. A ski as responsive as the RTM 86 is on groomers can often be a handful in a mogul field, but it's not the case here. The RTM 86 does not have the limitations of many other skis in this class.

IMG_0181.JPG

Volkl has done so much different here that the ski really deserved a new name. You can now get the best parts of the previous RTMs and ACs without having to deal with their shortcomings. The new RTM has the power of the AC and the ease of the first-generation RTM but the mass and weight of neither. The 3D.Ridge construction that has trickled down from the V-Werks Katana works so well when combined with the new Wideride XL binding, which is clamped to rather than embedded into the ski. The UVO (Ultimate Vibration Object) keeps the ski planted on the snow without neutering it.
  • Who is it for? A skier who prefers long, wide-open groomers where they can lay out turns and not be limited by anything.
  • Who is it not for? The RTM86 is not for the weak, it is not for the meek, and it is not for those who lack skills. It is a flagship and it expects a worthy pilot. Volkl offers the RTM81 and 84 for mortal skiers.
  • Insider tip: Don’t let anyone tell you this is the same ski as last year's just because they are both called RTMs.

Stay tuned for a review of the RTM 86 UVO in 172 cm ...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I did get to ski the RTM86 in the 172cm and was impressed how strong and stable it was. There are few times I would consider downsizing in a ski, but this is one of them. The 172 might have lost a MPH or two on the top end but it really enhanced the technical characteristics of the construction. I would love to see this design and construction in a ski with a mid 70mm waist, that would be a great frontside tool for a technician or instructor.

I hope to get on this ski more throughout the season.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I tried that ski last spring and thought it was to much. The 84 seemed much more versatile. It's true that I was skiing it in slush and coral reef, but my take on it was that it is for anyone that missed the Grizzly.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Maybe a great ski, but seriously I cannot stand looking down at a ski that says "Powered by Titanium." NO NO NO NO NO. Its Titanal which has, at most, trace amounts of titanium in it. How can manufactures just print full-on lies on their topsheets?

I suppose that is what PugSki stickers are for.

FWIW, I demo'd the 182. It was way too much ski for me (at 6'2"/175) to do anything but big sweeping turns down groomers. Downsizing is the way to go.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I tried that ski last spring and thought it was to much. The 84 seemed much more versatile. It's true that I was skiing it in slush and coral reef, but my take on it was that it is for anyone that missed the Grizzly.
Which size do you ski it in? I actually liked the 172 over the 177.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I did get to ski the RTM86 in the 172cm and was impressed how strong and stable it was. There are few times I would consider downsizing in a ski, but this is one of them. The 172 might have lost a MPH or two on the top end but it really enhanced the technical characteristics of the construction. I would love to see this design and construction in a ski with a mid 70mm waist, that would be a great frontside tool for a technician or instructor.

Have you skied the newer Codes? Do they fit the bill of being a narrower RTM? I've been wanting to try them but haven't had the chance. I really like the new build they are using with the thin sides and fat middle. The BMT skis are really nice too. I told them they should use this build and camber profile in a V-Werks Mantra. That would be a sick ski.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have liked the Codes since they were released. I didn't get a chance to ski the newest one though. There is also the 90Eight which has this new profile AND camber.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pure powerhouse like the Nordica Fire Arrow 84 EDT?

Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pure powerhouse like the Nordica Fire Arrow 84 EDT?

Thanks!
No, thats what I like about it. It will do what I want from the FA but it is a much easier is to ski and more playful and much more versatile.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, thats what I like about it. It will do what I want from the FA but it is a much easier is to ski and more playful and much more versatile.

Thanks. On the Watch List!

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Phil - I've read your posts on the RTM 86 & 84 and would ask for a comparison of differences. I have the previous RTM84s which replaced my AC50 and supplemented my Firearrow 76s. Ski Company in Rochester has both on sale with the 84's for $800 and the 86's for $900.

Thinking of pulling the trigger and will try to demo both in Vt before the sale ends.

Your preference for Vt. resorts ?????????????????

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil - I've read your posts on the RTM 86 & 84 and would ask for a comparison of differences. I have the previous RTM84s which replaced my AC50 and supplemented my Firearrow 76s. Ski Company in Rochester has both on sale with the 84's for $800 and the 86's for $900.

Thinking of pulling the trigger and will try to demo both in Vt before the sale ends.

Your preference for Vt. resorts ?????????????????
I think you will be fine with the 84, save the $100. I think this is the best of both the old RTM and AC's with abandoning the shortcomings.

nucho

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

Hi, I am a Mammoth Mtn skier, 5' 10", 160 lbs, 65 year old advanced to expert level who could be better in the very steep and bumps and have been skiing the Volkl AC40 at 177cm for the past 10 years and want to move to the RTM 86. Am up in the air about getting the 177 or the 172 in the RTM. Please advise.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@nucho , The AC40 could be part of the reason that you are having trouble in on the steeps and in the bumps, it is a stiff uncompromising ski especially in a 177 and your weight. With that said, if you are skiing the AC40 in that 177 for the past 10 years, chances are you are a pretty stong skier. I skied the RTM86 in both lengths and liked both. If you can demo them, try both. If you have a bigger ski to complement this purchase, get the 172, if not, the 177. But either way, this will be a much better ski in the areas you are looking than the old AC40.

nucho

Skier
Thanks! Yeah, I have the Volkl Gotama's in 178cm for powder days. I pulled the trigger on the RTM 86 in 172cm :)

nucho

Skier

My wife is on the Volkl aurora ski 2009 which is basically the AC50 for women. We are about the same skill level, advanced/expert and also need to improve in the very steep and bumps. Is the Volkl Flair the women’s RTM? Should she move to the Volkl Flair SC UVO and what size? (she is 5’ 4” 140 lbs)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe not all the way to the Flair SC but maybe the Flair 81, which is the RTM 81. What size Aurora is she on? I would probably start there.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Excellent review, as always. One note: For skiers who want a bit more nimbleness, look at the RTM 81. All the good points of the RTM 84 in a more playful package that makes shorter turns a bit better. Excellent in all conditions: great edgehold on hardpack, good in bumps, crud and fresh powder up to about 9 inches; good at both long and short turns. The best "do everything" ski I know.

Sponsor

Staff online