• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rewrite the Skier's Responsibility Code

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is your summer homework project....

@fatbob posted this...

And it made me think. If you were to rewrite the Skiers Responsibility Code, how would you do it?

Seven Points to Your Responsibility Code​

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
  5. Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
  6. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
  7. Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Other versions...

OBSERVE THE CODE AND SHARE WITH OTHERS THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A GREAT EXPERIENCE.

1. Know your ability and always stay in control and be able to stop and avoid other people or objects. It is your responsibility to stay in control on the ground and in the air.
  2. Take lessons from professional instructors to learn and progress.
  3. Use appropriate protective equipment to minimise the risk of injury.
  4. Before using any lift you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely and always use the restraining devices.
  5. Observe and obey all signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails or runs.
  6. Give way to people below and beside you on the hill. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
  7. Do not stop where you are not clearly visible from above.
    Look uphill and give way to others when entering/exiting a trail or starting downhill.
  8. Always ensure your equipment is in good condition and use suitable restraining devices to avoid runaway skiing/boarding equipment.
  9. Do not ski, board, ride a lift or undertake any other alpine activity if your ability is impaired by drugs or alcohol.
  10. If you are involved in, or witness an accident or collision, alert Ski Patrol, remain at the scene and identify yourself to the Ski Patrol.

1. Always stay in control. You must be able to stop, or avoid other people or objects.

2. People ahead of you have the right-of-way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

3. Do not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.

4. Before starting downhill or merging onto a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

5. If you are involved in or witness a collision/accident you must remain at the scene and identify yourself to the Ski Patrol.
6. Always use proper devices to help prevent runaway equipment.

7. Observe and obey all posted signs and warnings.

8. Keep off closed trails and obey area closures.

9. You must not use lifts or terrain if your ability is impaired through the use of alcohol or drugs.

10. You must have sufficient physical dexterity, ability, and knowledge to safely load, ride, and unload lifts. If in doubt, ask the lift attendant.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most skiers cannot recite the 7 item code as it is, so I would not make it any longer.

Maybe you could eliminate 5 and 7 (runaway ski devices and know how to use a lift) and replace them with more relevant safety items.

Most equipment that releases has such devices except tele skis and I can't remember the last time I saw a runaway ski that didn't have brakes. And how does a first time user know if they can load and unload a chair or surface lift safely? Boarders flall on tbars all the time and kids fall off the magic carpet all the time.

Those two items are not as important IMO as stay off closed trails/areas and stay at the scene of a collision until patrol arrives. (I'd add if there is not already someone there.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Having been reading the collisions thread referenced by Phil, I have to say that I have more respect now for how good a job the authors of the code actually did. Maybe that was part of what fatbob was saying. In particular sticking to generalities seems like a good idea. Otherwise you just create opportunities for misunderstandings and quibbles.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So rather than a bunch of engineers, we'll sound like a gaggle of lawyers.
I'm uncharacteristically assuming positive intent on the part of the code authors. If it's all just CYA then there's no point in the conversation.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm uncharacteristically assuming positive intent on the part of the code authors. If it's all just CYA then there's no point in the conversation.

Echoing your sentiments, I like the code the way it is. A little loose.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I liked the code better when it said "downhill". It was clear and simple. Now you have to figure out where to draw the line between making tight turns down the fall line and traversing straight across a wide slope. If your average speed down hill is 40 mph, but you are getting your skis 90 degrees from the fall line wile travelling in a "lane" that's 16 feet wide and somebody tries passing while he is straight-lining at 60 mph, but your skis are pointed across the fall line when you hit him as he goes by who's at fault? I say the passer.
What about a wider lane?
Where does it end?

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Echoing your sentiments, I like the code the way it is. A little loose.
I agree about the little loose, but that being said a bunch of people see this as black and white. Especially for the downhill skier rule.
To me, everyone on a trail has some part in whatever happens at all times. But that’s hard to write a rule around.

jcjpdx

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have never been in a collision, although I have witnessed a few. I was in one close call that would have been my fault, and two that would have been the other person's fault. I have however, seen many disturbances in the force, and my code is a reflection of those experiences. My inspirations are Dune, Chelsea Sullenberger (Sully), John Galt, (Systemantics), The Golden Rule, Rumi, and Seinfeld.

1. When driving to the mountain, be adequately skilled and prepared. Do not spin out on a narrow, curvy mountain road when you have bald tires, no chains, and inadequate driving experience.

2. In the donut shop, or breakfast counter, or lift line, or bar, do not get all the way to the front of the line before you begin to think of what you want. Realize that there are twenty people behind you who know what they want.

3. Recognize that you are part of a system, and that all systems fail. The failures will be unexpected, and often come at the worst possible time. They may not be the failures for which you planned or for which you prepared.

4. Do not underestimate the severity of a problem, or overestimate your ability to pull out of the problem. Initiate effective corrective action early. Problem avoidance is not problem denial.

5. Value life more than material goods. If your previously head-injured friend crashes and is unconscious for a few minutes, do not hide this fact from Ski Patrol in order to prevent them from pulling his lift ticket. (This actually happened in one of the incidents where someone almost crashed into me. He did crash hit his head, was out cold and may have seized. I knelt for several minutes stabilizing his neck while Patrol were summoned. When he awoke, he was combative. His friends urged him to get up and leave so he could board the rest of the day. One of his friends said, "You know, he's never been the same since that bike crash last summer...").

6. Value conviviality. Ski only with those who are good company on the slopes, on the chair, at lunch, in the bar.

7. Only crash into a tree if you and the tree have an equal chance of getting hurt. (Hint: trees almost always win.)

8. Water flows downhill. Loose systems work best. Age and gravity always triumph. Good luck happens to the well prepared.

Respectfully submitted (mostly),

jcjpdx

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree about the little loose, but that being said a bunch of people see this as black and white. Especially for the downhill skier rule.
To me, everyone on a trail has some part in whatever happens at all times. But that’s hard to write a rule around.

Unlike most, black and white is just 2 more shades of gray to me.

Usually I hang out in the SCUD free zones so don't really sweat the skier code much.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Fewer rules are gooder!

How about something like:
Ski in control.
Yield to the other skier or boarder you are approaching.
Yield when entering a slope.
Realistically accept your ability and limitations.
Respect each other.

We are all there for the same basic reason.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Many people don't read. Maybe a QR code to some short, humorous, illustrative videos.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
1. When driving to the mountain, be adequately skilled and prepared. Do not spin out on a narrow, curvy mountain road when you have bald tires, no chains, and inadequate driving experience.
:thumb:

I am in the school that thinks the code is pretty good as is. I might add:
lt is your responsibility to know your limitations & stay off terrain above your skill level.
Mid slope traversing & post-holing the ski track is forbidden!
58EC351D-8271-4ADF-93E1-7F7DAE83CBAC.jpeg

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
The skiers and riders that cause the problems don't even know there is a Code. I got slammed into from behind a few years ago by a young female boarder. Her comment to me as we untangled ourselves was "You cut me off". She obviously didn't know the Code said those below you have the right of way.

Sponsor

Staff online