• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RIP Dadou Mayer

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another legend from the old days at TSV has passed. Dadou was Jean’s brother, but not as famous. He very instrumental in developing TSV with the Blakes.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Truly a legend. With every passing season Taos loses a little bit of its magic, not the mountain, but the passing of the legends who made it a place that the new corporate overlords will never match. If you skied Taos “in the old days,” you’ll know what I mean.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Meyers were an institution and this marks the end of an era for sure..

Some things are better since the place was sold and some things are too bad. It is now a "resort" and before it was a lical ski area. The story was that it had to change or face economic ruin.

There a many scenarios that could have been much worse than what Bacon is doing with it.

The saddest to me is the St. B. Sure they are going to replicate the main dining room and bar, but ersatz quaint is just a theme park. And it would be nice to see the resort plug some of the ski valley businesses and lodging that aren't the Blake on the website. Let's just hope they don't screw up the Bavarian!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The changes were gradual.

The food used to be really good. The wiener schnitzel was a bit larger than the plate. Fried up nicely. The sausages were plump and succulent. Now they are too lean and dry. The original spaetzle was creamy and hearty. Now, it's more like mac & cheese from a package. Couple seasons back during covid, the spaetzle was prepackaged in a 4 oz. take out container for $8.

Beer is still good though.

James

Out There
Instructor
Denver’s a dump, Salt Lake is trashed, Taos is horrible…

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The only constant in life is change.

The changes had keep Taos viable. Not a bad thing when compared to going out of business.
My favorite line - Getting old sucks. Getting dead sucks a lot more.

IMO, they are doing a good job so far.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally eat the strudel for lunch. Glad it's just the food and not that they remodeled or something.

HDSkiing

Skier
Funny, Taos was my “local hill” for a couple decades before I started working at another area. In all that time I think I’ve only eaten at the Bavarian a few times although I probably drank beer there a bit more often. I rarely eat in the mountain when I do it’s at Tim’s Stray Dog Canteena for breakfast. (Tim was killed in an Avalanche in Taos quite a good number of years ago, but his place is still there). I do agree with @KingGrump that they had to find capitol to survive and to be honest most of what they have done is for the better. Still back in the day it was just a quirky place where I could park my Jeep right off the slope and you’d know a lot of the people there. We never really thought of it as a world class resort (which it was and is) it was just a place nearby to go skiing.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny, Taos was my “local hill” for a couple decades before I started working at another area. In all that time I think I’ve only eaten at the Bavarian a few times although I probably drank beer there a bit more often. I rarely eat in the mountain when I do it’s at Tim’s Stray Dog Canteena for breakfast. (Tim was killed in an Avalanche in Taos quite a good number of years ago, but his place is still there). I do agree with @KingGrump that they had to find capitol to survive and to be honest most of what they have done is for the better. Still back in the day it was just a quirky place where I could park my Jeep right off the slope and you’d know a lot of the people there. We never really thought of it as a world class resort (which it was and is) it was just a place nearby to go skiing.
I am sorry to tell you the Stray Dog is another casualty of progress. You are correct, it was the best and least expensive to eat.

HDSkiing

Skier
I am sorry to tell you the Stray Dog is another casualty of progress. You are correct, it was the best and least expensive to eat.
Wow, I didn’t know it had closed. That’s a bummer fersure. Not sure I’d recognize the base now, I ought to drive the couple hours to get there just to see lol.

Sponsor

Staff online