• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Ron's 2018 Reviews: The Way I Ski It....

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Here are my reviews of upcoming 2018 skis. For the most part, next season's skis represent a further refinement of shape, materials, and the tweaking of many skis; happy to say many have improved. Testing was at Copper over the last couple of days in January. Conditions were a bit firm for the most part (for Colorado) but by the afternoon, the snow had softened up nicely. Please let me know what you think and enjoy! Let the games begin.

Atomic Redster S9

Dimensions: 119.5-68-97.5
Radius: 12.5m@165cm, 13.3m@171cm
Size tested: 171
Design: All New

Superb ski, winner of my “Favorite Ski of the Test” award. The S9 is a carve machine, supremely stable, quiet, smooth, precise, energetic, and (fill in the blank with any other term befitting this Ferrari of skis). But here’s the catch: although it is 68 underfoot, it didn’t want to just turn. You could vary the turn shape and even ski it slowly (although you won’t want to). Yes, it's powerful; yes, it's demanding; yes, it's got a tail that will spank you if it finds out you aren’t worthy (I got caught behind going over a roller and had to scramble to recover).

I want this ski.
  • Who is it for? Racers, or skiers who want to feel like they are. Can still be skied by mere mortals, though.
  • Who is it not for? Might be a handful for many.
  • Insider tip: If it's too much ski, try the X7 or X9.

Atomic Redster X7
Dimensions: 115.5-70-102.5
Radius: 16.2m@175cm
Size tested: 175

I tested this ski just before the S9 and thought, Damn, this ski is fun. It was very approachable but still exacting, energetic, poppy, and in the end much more forgiving than the S9. For many, this is a much better choice if you want to ski all day (since the S9 will most likely tire you out in 2 or 3 hours, max). The X7 still has a wood core and Titanal layup but a less demanding flex. It has great tip engagement, moderate stiffness, and a very friendly tail that can be locked or released. It will even drift, making it much more versatile than the S9. I wanted to take it into some bumps and loose snow; I didn’t get the chance but imagine it would be decent -- meaning Atomic has another winner. (note, there is a X9 as well but I don't recall it being available)
  • Who is it for? The X7 is a really fun and higher-performing carver that will work for a wide range of skiers.
  • Who is it not for? Those who can’t tip and rip; probably should be kept on the groomers.
  • Insider tip: It's the mortal version of the S9.

Blizzard Brahma

Dimensions: 127-88-111
Radius: 17m@180cm
Size tested: 180

If you were like me and wondered what exactly was the Brahma, well, Blizzard has solved the riddle. The new metal version has a purpose! Stronger and damper, the Brahma is a blast on the groomed; it is still easy to ski, though, and has a good feel on the snow. The entire ski engages and releases as needed. As a midfat, this ski can be drifted as well. I was skiing behind @DoryBreaux when he demoed the Brahma, and after launching off a roller he had perma-grin.
  • Who is it for? Advanced skiers are going to enjoy this ski for sure; those who have put too many days on their old pairs.
  • Who is it not for? Lighter skiers will find it a bit much.
  • Insider tip: The 180 is plenty of ski even with the tip and tail rocker.

Fischer Pro MTN 86
Dimensions: 128-86-116
Radius: 16.5m@175cm
Design: Carryover

This carryover from Fischer was a real surprise for me. Super versatile, it rails on the groomed, makes any turn shape, and, even though it might prefer harder snow, is quite capable in bumps and crud. It has a nice solid, stable feel, lots of energy, and decent pop. In my testing notes I commented that you can really feel its entire length. For an 86mm, this is what I am looking for: more groomed, carving chops than off-piste performance. My only slight gripe is the tip, which has more splay than I think it needs. I noted a slight bit of vibration at speed, but it didn’t cause instability. I also wonder if moving the mount point back a little would help.
  • Who is it for? Those seeking a high-performing mid ski with that classic Fischer feel. You might find this sleeper on discount racks, so keep an eye open! It does like some input and some skills.
  • Who is it not for? Not sure, it is a user-friendly ski that has a great bandwidth of performance. I wouldn’t recommend this for a Level 5, but it does offer room to grow for those who have or want to develop skills.
  • Insider tip: The 175 skied like a true 175: don’t size up if you usually ski a 178. Demo before you mount to dial in the binding position.

Head Kore 93
Dimensions: 133-93-115
Radius: 16.4m@180cm
Size tested: 180

The new Kore line comprises Head's lighter, more off-piste, touring-friendly skis. I tested it with @Philpug while he was on the Monster 88, which is probably the ski a lot of people will ask about when comparing the two. The Kore does in fact have a lighter, more "fun" feel even while staying well connected to the snow. Despite its prowess in softer snow, the tip engaged well and held an edge on the groomed just fine, and you can still finish a turn. Compared to the Monster 88, it feels less serious -- but that’s not a bad thing. The Kore 93 is a fun, capable, off-piste-oriented ski. It would make a fine AT setup and is a great option for lighter skiers, too.
  • Who is it for? Softer-snow environments; would make a good narrower all-mountain AT ski.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who is skiing hard groomers 70% of the time.
  • Insider tip: Demo the 88 and the 93 back to back.

Head Monster 88
Dimensions: 133-88-115
Radius: 17.4m@177cm
Size tested: 177
Design: New Construction

I loved the “old” 88 and felt it was the best value in the crowded 88 slot. I was concerned when I heard that Head changed the design in fear that it had been dumbed down from its rather stoic prior iteration. Hmm, a bit more shape, a touch softer, a schniggle more rocker…. Well, Head did what most manufacturers don’t: they actually made it more approachable and kept its capabilities intact! I loved the new 88! It is still more off-piste-oriented and the tip was a touch less precise on the groomed, but the ski felt more alive and, yes, even more fun. It still has a solid feel underfoot; you can ski the whole ski. This remains my choice for an 88mm ski that truly skis the entire mountain.
  • Who is it for? It still requires a pilot with some skills but now has a broader bandwidth; lightweights may struggle and should look at the K2 Pinnacle 88. The 88 could be that one-ski quiver for Out West.
  • Who is it not for? If you are looking for a groomer mid, look elsewhere.
  • Insider tip: The new 88 is truly “new and improved”; buy it and smile.

Head Supershape iTitan
Dimensions: 138-81-118
Radius: 15m@177cm

The Titan was my first ski on snow for the testing -- and I'm glad I had that third cup of coffee. Still a class-leading ski for those who want to tip and rip, it demands a skilled pilot to bring out its fighter-jet abilities. I love its supreme feel: stable and precise with virtually no speed limit. The Titan has a trick up its sleeve, though: you can take it into soft, broken snow, too! Even with a squared-off tail, it can be skied on edge and released when needed.
  • Who is it for? Skilled carve-aholics who venture off the groomed.
  • Who is it not for? If you can't leave two parallel rails when you ski, no need to apply.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to go to the 177.

Kästle FX85

Dimensions: 119-85-105
Radius: 19m@181cm
Size tested: 181

Kästle has added a 157 to the lineup, beech and fir cores for better longevity and durability, and new topsheets.

One of my favorite skis ever, the FX85 is still my go-to for everyday loose snow up to 6 inches or time in sidecountry and trees. The non-metal version is more playful and workable than the HP but still plenty stable for most mortals under 190 lb. The new core doesn’t feel any different, and I actually like the new topsheet. This ski is still off-piste-oriented so don’t buy it for frontside groomers: the tapered tips and tails aren’t as quick to engage on the smooth snow, but that’s what makes them so good off piste. It is an excellent example of why you should never buy a modern ski based on its waist width. I have skied plenty of terrain in boot-deep fresh and leftovers with utmost confidence. The ski flexes so evenly and has a moderate amount of pop, making it fantastic in bumps and trees.
  • Who is it for? Skilled drivers who want a narrower all-mountain ski or OSQ. I ski this all over and up to 6-8"
  • Who is it not for? Intermediate skiers won’t appreciate all it has to offer.
  • Insider tip: The HP is not necessary for most skiers.

Kästle FX95
Dimensions: 126-95-115
Radius: 20m@181cm
Size tested: 181

Kästle has added a 157 to the lineup, beech and fir cores for better longevity and durability, and new topsheets.

The FX95 is more of a charger and does have more float, but it's not as floaty as many other skis in the 95-100 range. It is intended for those who prefer something a bit more stable than other 90-somethings, who yearn for that Kästle feel and stability. The 95 is still remarkably agile and nimble, though. Again, there are no changes other than the core and topsheets. It would make an excellent one-ski quiver for those who prefer something a bit wider as their everyday ski. Those who ski in the open may want to go HP for a decided notch up in stability, but otherwise you aren’t giving up much going without metal.
  • Who is it for? Skilled drivers who want a wider all-mountain ski or OSQ.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediate skiers won’t appreciate all it has to offer.
  • Insider tip: The HP is not necessary for most skiers.

Kästle LX85
Dimensions: 126-85-109
Radius: 18m@176cm
Size tested: 176

If you have read other Pug testers' reviews already, you’re going to hear this again: MX Lite. Yep, I wondered about this ski after ripping down a cut-up groomer at decent speed with confidence. What was Kästle thinking? Hmm, this ski is nearly as stable, quick, smooth, and energetic as an MX. I think the LX label took a lot of us by surprise; it’s not your mother's LX. I do wonder how it will work for its intended lightweight skier. In any case, it is a really nice ski that performs at a high level.
  • Who is it for? Well, who is it intended for? For lighter-weight skiers who possess the skills it wants, but you need to demo this ski if it is on your radar.
  • Who is it not for? It very well may be too much ski for the lighter skiers it was aimed at.
  • Insider tip: Demo first.

Kästle MX84
Dimensions: 128-84-112cm
Radius: 16.3m@176cm
Size tested: 176

The MX84 is unchanged because there’s no reason to change it. It’s a superb carver that can dance in soft stuff, crud, and push piles at the end of the day. It can make any shaped turn at will. Its float in transition is addictive. Supremely smooth, precise, accurate, and exhilarating. Gobs of energy. An absolute joy to drive. Skilled pilots only. Etc, etc, etc ....
  • Who is it for? High-level skiers who appreciate all that this ski demands and needs to be enjoyed.
  • Who is it not for? Posers.
  • Insider tip: Even if you can’t afford this ski, go demo it to see what Kästle is all about. The 176 is plenty for anyone thinking they need a 180.

K2 iKonic 80Ti
Dimensions: 129-80-108
Radius: 15.9m@170cm

K2 iKonic 84Ti
Dimensions:133-84-112
Radius: 17.5m@177cm

The 80 and 84 are very similar apart from overall dimensions. The 80 is a bit quicker, but I am not sure K2 really needs both. These skis performed very solidly. I thought they were easy to roll edge to edge with a nice smooth feel. On larger-radius turns, I found myself needing to really pressure the tips, but once I got there, the tips engaged predictably and could be loaded up for a solid, fun ride while the turn radius was deepened. I would like to demo them again and move up the binding position to see if the tips could be accessed better. The tails are solid, not overly stiff, and could be easily broken off. Overall, they are fun skis that I think a lot of skiers will like!
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up.
  • Who is it not for? Lightweights may not be able to bend the tips.
  • Insider tip: Put 'em on the list for demoing in the 80-85mm frontside-oriented ski class.

K2 Pinnacle 88
Dimensions: 128-88-110
Radius:15m@184cm
Sizes tested: 177

I loved this ski last year, and it's still my pick for lighter-weight skiers who want an 88 but find "the others” to be too much ski. The Pinnacle 88 and Head Kore 93 are great choices, where the K2 might be better on groomers and the Kore, off piste. The K2 is just plain fun! It engages well, and it is fairly stable, quiet, smooth, and easy. The tail is accommodating and forgiving. It’s a very good ski that is just a little lighter and easier.
  • Who is it for? A must for lighter skiers to demo.
  • Who is it not for? Heavier or aggressive skiers will crush it.
  • Insider tip: Look for leftovers and gobble 'em up!

K2 Pinnacle 95
Dimensions: 132-95-115
Radius:17m@184cm
Size tested: 184

I skied the new Pinnacle on a long, blue, push-piled run, which was really a great testing ground for the mixture of conditions many owners of this ski will encounter. I had skied last season’s Pinnacle 95 and wasn’t overwhelmed, but K2 made some significant improvements in next year’s version and WOW, what a difference. The new 95 is much more stable yet still fun. It really rips through the piles on edge with confidence. Playing around on the bumped-up piles, the ski is very nimble and has a light feel to it. It is seriously fun. Despite the 17m turn radius, it is not hooky. The lowered tip and tail splay is much better.
  • Who is it for? A wide range of skiers looking for a fun but capable ski for all-mountain conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Big skiers may overpower it; buy it for softer snow.
  • Insider tip: If the previous clown shoe with huge rocker bothered you, try this one!

Nordica GT 84 Ti EVO
Dimensions: 134-84-114
Radius:15.5m@174cm
Size tested: 174

The GT 84 Ti Evo is a carving-focused ripper, another very good ski in a competitive field of 84s. It has a very damp, quiet feel and is fun to roll edge to edge. The tips engage very smoothly and predictably. Short-radius turns have a lot of energy and pop, and once I got it up to speed and made larger-radius turns, the ski became very smooth. This is a ski that seemed to get a bit lost in a crowded field and should be demoed.
  • Who is it for? Carvers with skills; lovers of short-radius turns.
  • Who is it not for? Leave this one to advanced skiers and up.
  • Insider tip: Don’t forget to demo this one in the large field of mid-80s frontside skis.

Stöckli Laser AX
Dimensions: 123-78-110
Radius: 15.6m@175cm

The new AX represents the new class of narrow all-mountain skis. It has a very unique build with softish, slightly rockered tips but is quite stiff torsionally. Moving down the ski, it isfairly stiff underfoot with thick sidewalls and ample camber. It features a more traditional tail (slightly rounded but flat-ended) that is slightly turned up with no rocker. It does what no other ski in this class can do. The tip becomes very stable when tipped on edge and pulls you into a turn like a true carving ski. The AX is eerily stable and quiet at speed, too. Taking it into softer snow like bumps and piled-up groomers, its softer tips absorb and rise up just enough. It just slices through push piles like the proverbial hot knife through butter. It can stand up to skis much wider with more rocker. I did find that the bindings may need to be moved forward just a touch. Overall this ski is fantastic! (I own it now.)
  • Who is it for? Advanced intermediates and up who like the feel of a narrower ski for all-mountain conditions including boilerplate carving up to a few inches of fresh.
  • Who is it not for? You would be surprised just how versatile this ski is! Those with aversions to four-digit prices just need to wait for a used pair -- but it will be worth the wait.
  • Insider tip: Demo first to be sure of the mount point; the 175 skis like a 178.
Long-term testing note: I have skied the AX several days and there's nothing I would change on this ski. I even skied it in 8" of blower and just had a blast on it. It continues to impress in our spring snow (March 2017) and is so workable in the bumps as it is a total blast railing turns on. The AX has become my every day, no brainer ski. I mounted +5mm with a Fischer (ty freeflex) RC4 Z13 and a 4mm toe riser.
Go here for all reviews listed by brand.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice stuff, Ron!

Reactions: Ron

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Careful with the oxy comments - your next :D

Wishing you success with hip surgery and a speedy recovery. Looking forward to more great reviews in the future.

Reactions: Ron

Skiboatr

Booting up
Skier
Ron,
Nice set of reviews. I demoed the Head iTitans and liked them. Easy fun ski to carve on. They seemed to have very progressive flex but weren't as meaty under foot like my hand me up Rossi race skis. I like a 14-15 m radius ski as opposed to a full race slalom. Anything else you would recommend for an eastern skier that more than the titan but not a leg killer like the S9 or a race ski?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm, sounds like you are looking for a race-lite ski? Is the IRally not enough? atomic X9 comes to mind but blizzard GT 84ti, K2 supercharger or turbo charger, renoun z77 Stockli SX, Fischer curve DTX/ GT, Volkl UVO, series , kastle mx84, MX 74, RX line, There's more but that should get you. Started. I don't have any knowledge on the Rossi offerings since you mentioned those.

Sponsor

Staff online