• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Black Ops Gamer 118, the best powder/crud ski being made? (at least for lighter and some medium sized skiers)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
PSA for anyone in Canada looking for the BO 118 Swamps in 176 only, Sportcheck has them for $309 $C.
Was just about to post this after you told me!

Try the additional 10% off if added to the mailing list thing too maybe for additional savings.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Had my Blackops 118(-2.5cm at 175lbs) out yesterday in about 5” of fresh snow at Sunshine Village and they were an absolute blast from the start. The skis/snow weren’t sticking like a week ago so felt instantly comfortable this time. Find that slight -2.25cm to -2.5cm change seems to make a difference as I never felt any “I’ve got to change my stance for float” at anytime today like I did last year occasionally on my old set.

Think I may bring them out again today even though there’s just a dusting of new snow.

Met a Billy Goat owner who was loving them in the fresh but not on the tracked out and scrapped off groomers that were slippery in sections. The Blackops 118 were great in those too as were a friends Unleashed 114s.

View attachment 229103
What length are you at on those Greg?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What length are you at on those Greg?
186cm length. If you’re 160lbs or over you’re usually on the 186cm length and just mount back from the very forward rec mount depending on your weight.
The 176cm length is available in both the Swamp and Tatum graphic with the Tatum being looked at as the Women’s version as it’s named and styled for their sponsored skier Tatum Monod. Same skis just different graphics.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
186cm length. If you’re 160lbs or over you’re usually on the 186cm length and just mount back from the very forward rec mount depending on your weight.
The 176cm length is available in both the Swamp and Tatum graphic with the Tatum being looked at as the Women’s version as it’s named and styled for their sponsored skier Tatum Monod. Same skis just different graphics.
Looking for 183+ in that width myself but the 176 may work for my wife. I’ll have her take a look!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looking for 183+ in that width myself but the 176 may work for my wife. I’ll have her take a look!
Don’t know if you saw above but in Canada they are selling the 176cm Swamps for $350 CAN/$260 US after tax at Sportchek.ca
They are sold out of the 186cm though. Was around $90 US to ship my previous 186cm lengths of that deal to people in the West USA.
let me know if you want me to order a set if you can’t find the 176cm under $350 US.

Just noticed Corbett’s has both versions of the 176cm available(no 186cm) and I’m sure Chris will get you close to that price too after exchange. $570 CAN now with free shipping

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The "welcome code" at Sportchek does work on the BlackOps 176 -> so $313 $C shipped and taxes-in to a Canadian address.

US folk could use a re-shipper, like CrossBorderPickups.
I have an account there and they give me US address. I can have stuff shipped to that US address, they bring it over the border for a $11 $C fee, then will ship directly to my house at far cheaper rates than I can get on my own.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@ARL67 At that price, grab a set and mount them -3.5cm/-6cm total back and you’d have a riot on them in the Spring Crud or any fresh snow in Collingwood!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Have my 186cm Blackops 118 out in only a few inches tops of new snow at the top of Revelstoke with Spring like temps closer to the mid mountain. Groomers were firmer to start with fresh above and the skis were awesome. Truly unreal how much you can lay these over on a groomer. Such a confidence inspiring ski in lower light conditions knowing nothing will upset these things.

Impressed some older skiers on their Atomic FIS SL skis on some fresh groomers earlier in the day. Just skied down a very long, heavy snow, crud filled run down to the Chalet that some Stockli SL, Stockli AR skiers were absolutely struggling on. Blackops 118 made it feel smooth.

IMG_4454.jpeg

Saw these pair of beauties in the racks.
IMG_4458.jpeg

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have my 186cm Blackops 118 out in only a few inches tops of new snow at the top of Revelstoke with Spring like temps closer to the mid mountain. Groomers were firmer to start with fresh above and the skis were awesome. Truly unreal how much you can lay these over on a groomer. Such a confidence inspiring ski in lower light conditions knowing nothing will upset these things.

Impressed some older skiers on their Atomic FIS SL skis on some fresh groomers earlier in the day. Just skied down a very long, heavy snow, crud filled run down to the Chalet that some Stockli SL, Stockli AR skiers were absolutely struggling on. Blackops 118 made it feel smooth.

View attachment 230475
Saw these pair of beauties in the racks.
View attachment 230476
Those would have been great at Silver Mtn. during that last cycle. We had a few great days there just before that big storm. Those would have been perfect!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did just under 40k vert on my Blackops 118 at Revy today with a mix of groomers, bumps and trees and were awesome all day. Really shined when things got super heavy after lunch and was again surprised how fun and easy they are in the tight trees and moguls.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just picked up the last pair from corbetts.com with Tatum's graphic for $396 :ogbiggrin: very excited although I potentially will have to wait until next winter to really put them to use unless the Tahoe storm cycle continues.

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
Did anyone here have a chance to A/B the BO 118 vs the outgoing Dynastar M-Free 118?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Decided to give up waiting for a 190+ Black Ops and went for a Heritage Labs FR120ST in 187 (Marshal discouraged the 193). Was trying to be patient with Rossignol but...the that reverse camber looked more appealing for the hot pow conditions we often get out here. Looking forward to comparing it to the Black Ops!

Large

Booting up
Skier
Decided to give up waiting for a 190+ Black Ops and went for a Heritage Labs FR120ST in 187 (Marshal discouraged the 193). Was trying to be patient with Rossignol but...the that reverse camber looked more appealing for the hot pow conditions we often get out here. Looking forward to comparing it to the Black Ops!
I think I’m going Revolt 114 in 191. Blister has been recommending this as a solid alternative to the 118. I’m super curious about all of the HL skis. Would love to hear how it skis.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Did anyone here have a chance to A/B the BO 118 vs the outgoing Dynastar M-Free 118?
Similar weight and flex in the 189cm MFree 118 to 186cm Blackops 118 but the increases taper and more traditional mount point on the MFree 118 separate them. MFree 118 will feel looser and the mount point will improve float.
Something like the Billygoat would be looser still so I’ve often seen the MFree 118 described as a BG that’s much better on groomers back to the lift.
BO 118 the grippy, precise one of the group.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Revolt 114 not really that similar a ski to the BO 118 and much more similar to skis like the QST Blank with its taper amount, mount and rocker depth. Revolt 114 also has the now signature “Volkl flex pattern” that peaks in stiffness just in front of the toe piece and decreases front and back from there which some may not love. Blank has the more traditional increase in flex and stays constant throughout the entire binding area.
Blackops 118 has a more uniform flex that peaks far less underfoot.

Closest ski to BO 118 flex and profile might be the 192cm Blade Optic 114 but it’s narrower so the float might not be much better (except for the aid of more traditional mount point).

Agree it’s silly for no longer length option on the Blackops 118 and there is a large demand it seems out there. Until they do offer a longer length, there are some larger skiers on the 186cm Blackops 118 that have mounted beyond the -3cm range with success. Still playful at -4cm with much improved float.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been skiing my BO118 a lot recently. I mounted mine at -4cm from recommended mount point due to my size and weight (240lbs). Worked quite well in my opinion. I don't get tip dive, even in deep snow. Compared to my longer skis, I need to keep a little more weight on my heels, but don't have to get back seat to keep the tips up. These skis offer a lot of float. They carve quite well for their width, as I don't mind them on a 50% groomer day as long as the snow surface is somewhat soft. I use them for spring skiing and they are monster trucks. Very, very good suspension. Worked well in super tight trees, for me, I am usually on a 190cm ski, so the 186 seems more maneuverable. They are not super pivoty at -4 mount, but not bad either. Mine might improve with a tune as well. Very fun, springy ski. Jib ski, but very heavy, but they don't ski heavy.

About the only downside I have experienced is they don't have a lot of tail support, especially mounted at -4. If I lean back too much they wheelie out from under me. I need to stay forward or centered on these skis and not rely on a strong tail to lean on to get forward on the ski when thrown back. This is mostly due to the amount of tail rocker, and the slightly shorter than ideal length for my size. I am glad I own them and they are a keeper for me.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think I’m going Revolt 114 in 191. Blister has been recommending this as a solid alternative to the 118. I’m super curious about all of the HL skis. Would love to hear how it skis.
Some initial impressions from someone who has both the R114 and BO118. I did consider a R114, but felt my sender free 110 was too close in size. Still would like to check one out sometime as they get pretty good praise from the few pallypine locals.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just posted this on the TGR post so I’ll post here too.

Blister Review recently had a flash review on the new Sender Free 118. They confirmed that basically the only difference is the graphics and the rubber sheets starting lower in the tips/tails to show off the AirTips(which sound like they have been there for years but totally covered with that rubber sheet before).
They didn’t add the metal sheet underfoot like I assumed they would like in the SF 110 and instead are keeping the ABS like in the Swamps/Tatums.

Blister posted weights of their SF 118 and they averaged about 2495gr(2457gr & 2533gr) with a large 76gr difference between the set. Their original set of BO 118(before the swamps) weighed less, so probably more difference between random pairs within a year than between the years it looks like still.

So the SF 118 is a Blackops 118 with a different top sheet with easier to see through tips.

Sponsor