• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safe car for skiing and kids to drive

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So our oldest daughter is about to get her license and we have been contemplating getting another car. The thinking was we would get something with a lot of the new safety features that would be great for a new driver, but also a vehicle that would also do double duty on the weekends driving in the mountains for skiing. This means something with AWD and good winter handling. We don't want a luxury car or anything high end. So curious what folks might recommend that meets these requirements and has a good bang for the buck.

We were originally planning on getting something used but with Covid premiums on used cars and limited inventory in our area, you are not saving that much so open to reasonably priced new vehicles too.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Subaru Impreza - has the advantage that at the low end of the range, it does not have lots of power. When we got my daughter her first car, it was a Toyota Paseo. After a test drive I got out and flashed two thumbs up to my wife, who later asked why. I replied "It looks sporty and has NO power whatsoever", thereby making it a perfect first car for a new driver IMHO ogsmile .

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
[QUOTE="RobSN, post: 638262, member: "It looks sporty and has NO power whatsoever", thereby making it a perfect first car for a new driver IMHO ogsmile .
[/QUOTE]

A 4Runner fits right on there as well. For show, I'd take an Impreza with snows over a 4Runner. My GTI with snows was far more snow capable than my 4Runner.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Subaru Impreza hatchback, Crosstrek or forester. They have some of the better sorted out safety systems, best AWD in their class, reliable and fuel efficient.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Hyundai Kona AWD

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I drive an Imprezza skiing most of the time. It handles well and has plenty of power regardless of what others say. I don't know what I would do with more. Put a box on top and some snows on it and you'll be set. The only problem you might have is if you want to take it off of well plowed roads or somewhere that has big potholes. It has a pretty low profile and bottoms out easily.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I was going to suggest that too but they're pretty small inside. It would be a good car for the kid but probably a bit too cramped for a family ski vehicle.
They are pretty similar.

I test drove both last year, I was leaning towards the Kona, better drive feel, IMO.
I thought it was just for the daughter, too small for a family ski car.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
They are pretty similar.

I test drove both last year, I was leaning towards the Kona, better drive feel, IMO.
I thought it was just for the daughter, too small for a family ski car.
I've been trying to push my wife towards a Kona to replace her Crosstrek when the time comes but she's stubborn and will probably get another Subaru...unless she decides a splurge for an Audi is worth it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I drive an Imprezza skiing most of the time. It handles well and has plenty of power regardless of what others say. I don't know what I would do with more. Put a box on top and some snows on it and you'll be set. The only problem you might have is if you want to take it off of well plowed roads or somewhere that has big potholes. It has a pretty low profile and bottoms out easily.
Always NEED MORE POWER!!!! :roflmao:My wife traded her Legacy GT for her Crosstrek with approximately half the HP. She doesn't miss the power and her gas expense is about half(significantly better mileage + regular vs premium gas).

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Our now 32 year old daughter has always lived in ski country, or has for the past 16 years.

Her first car was a Subie H6 Outback, purchased with 45K miles, when she got her license. Drove it through college and one more year, to 160K miles. She loved it.

Second car was an Outback XT. Bought it used with about 65K, and dove it to about 135K. Loved that one as well. Only sold it when some serious expenses were on the horizon. {New Turbo, steering rack, shocks, bushings, brake calipers, and on and on, etc.}. She got a ridiculous trade in with it in a hot Subie market.

Third was an Alltrack. LOVED that car as well. Had no issues that were not covered by warranty. She bought it new, at the right time. She had tried to find a six speed and could not at the time. Bought it new. At 20K miles, her transmission died and a new one arrived in a wooden crate to replace it, all on VWOA. That car hit 45K miles in the spring. No other issues.

She would still have it, but she had the chance to buy a family member's mint, very low mileage, fully service booked, perfect A4 Allroad. Not suggesting that as a "kid car." At the same time, she got absolute top dollar selling the Alltrack. That is now a kid car in....Aspen.

She has driven the Allroad from Boston to CO, back to Boston, and then back to Aspen and returned to bring it to Maine since she's owned it. Who needs to fly? Great car.

I'd consider an Alltrack, with a warranty. I would consider a Tuguan. I would seriously look at an Outback. AND....my winner might well be a Honda CRV. Have three HS and college age nieces who drive them. Great vehicles. Pretty neat. They have come a long way. And super "easy and reliable."

Probably goes without saying, but snow tires, IMO are a must. My daughter has had 16 years of Hakka's.

I will not tell you what our son's second and third cars were. His first was a used Ford Ranger. 50mph felt like 100. Perfect. After that......

Alltrack. Tiguan. Outback. CRV. My suggestions.

Another great value, and a bit bigger is a Toyota Venza. They are a lot of car for the money. Also should mention the Lexus RX series. Incredibly reliable used car. Even the first generation!

EDIT: Sorry, was focusing on the kid car, not the family duty! Maybe the Tiguan.....

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Muleski CRV! Great idea. I don't know anyone who has had one and didn't love it. Most with over 200k before replacing them. The new ones have gotten pretty big though so it might not be the best choice for a new driver. I would, personally, be reluctant to go with a VW because pretty much everyone I know who has had one had numerous problems and got little help from the dealer. Audis are better, IME, and the dealers are far more accommodating, at least around here. YMMV.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Used VW Alltrack Golf wagon.... 6 spd manual. You can't text and drive with a stick.

You'd think, right? but that'd probably be a challenge that most teen males would relish.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

No altitude to speak of where you are. 542 also doesn't have much in the way of gradient. Although places like Glacier Creek Rd and the spurs off of Canyon Creek Road do, but you will never be driving fast there.

Different story in the Intermountain West. High altitudes and traffic regularly moves along at 80+ mph. I find the a 0 - 60 under five seconds is my jam here. And it is more fun.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
You'd think, right? but that'd probably be a challenge that most teen males would relish.
Don't most new cars nave Apple Carplay, etc.? Your texts will be read to you as the come in and you can easily respond with voice to text. I'd bet the kids figure that out faster than we do.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
No altitude to speak of where you are. 542 also doesn't have much in the way of gradient. Although places like Glacier Creek Rd and the spurs off of Canyon Creek Road do, but you will never be driving fast there.

Different story in the Intermountain West. High altitudes and traffic regularly moves along at 80+ mph. I find the a 0 - 60 under five seconds is my jam here. And it is more fun.
Not that long ago that would only be achievable in higher end sports cars. How times have changed. I think my truck is probably in the 7-8 second range but most of my previous vehicles were closer to 10 seconds.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Not that long ago that would only be achievable in higher end sports cars. How times have changed. I think my truck is probably in the 7-8 second range but most of my previous vehicles were closer to 10 seconds.

Very true. My GTI was faster than the Lamborghinii Countach that every kid has a poster of. Hell, my SUV is faster than the Lambo.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Subaru Crosstrek . I know families who have fleets of them.

Reactions: Ogg

Sponsor

Staff online