• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salt...

Is salt a legit spice/does it belong on food?

• Yes, but my doctor says I'm not allowed to have any

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm English, salt is disgusting and only belongs on the driveway when it's icy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like some salt, but most restaurant food (anybody remember restaurants?) is way too salty. Too much salt is a cheap trick.... it makes the first bite taste amazing, but by the third bite all you can taste is salt.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I cook with salt but virtually never add it after or to a restaurant meal. The right amount helps bring out flavor without making the food taste salty.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I cook, I layer the seasoning. Sometimes by individual ingredient. Often by groups of similar ingredients.
Different ingredients require varying amount of seasoning.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal sea salt or Himalayan salt from a salt grinder, sure. Expensive imported small-batch soy sauce from Japan, absolutely.

I want to know who the people are who actually have a salt shaker on a chain attached to their belt loops.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cooking with fresh food, salt is needed and desirable. Problem with many diets is prepared food and restaurant food which usually way too salted.

Food shouldn't come from a factory. Eat fresh / real food! You can control the salt.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a very good book, 'Salt, A world History' Very interesting. It has shaped civilization, the first food preservative, first commodity to be traded. It is an essential mineral for our well being.
And it goes great on my fries

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^LOL an editor friend used to call Kurlansky 'the Sebastian Junger of food' for his loopy tangled presentation in both Salt: and Cod:

Material is great, sure, but those used to a James Burke-level presentation need to keep...ahem...a few more tangents...in mind :D

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Learn to cook your own and salt to taste. There's more to flavor than just salt, but salt is essential to bring out, heighten flavor.

Outside of the SF bay area, most restaurants are way too salty.
Within the SF bay area, closer to 20% offensive. Yeah, when I first observed this, I couldn't believe it either. Unfortunately, my experience holds out.

Least offensive to me on a road trip, small mom and pop mexican street tacos. It's hard to over salt with such small portions. Next winner, the burger, without the fries. Only a few chains really oversalt their burgers. Most fries on the other hand, deadly. For the salad lovers out there, my experience has been more mixed than overall success with fast food to sit down restaurants salads.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to put salt on ham. I've grown out of that but loves me some salt still.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Most fries on the other hand, deadly.

I hear you on the fries - I do insist mine be before the salt.

OTOH I am probably the biggest culprit on salads - salt and light oil are all the dressing I need but I don't skimp on the salt and I crush greens to soak it in more.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
1608494498388.png

Attachments

• 1608494449271.png
    1608494449271.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 1

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Flawed pole. My doctor told me to eat more salt.
Can I get your doctor's name???
I guessing the doctor's recommendation will be more doctor independent, and more @François Pugh's diagnosis specific.
I know someone with low blood pressure and they can't seem to get enough salt. Not normal ("typical") for most of our population, but not uncommon.

Sponsor