• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic School me on eastern NY areas

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, so I live in NW CT, very close to border with MA and NY. In years past, Jiminy Peak MA was my easy-day-trip area and southern VT was the longer-day-trip destination.
But...with quarantine protocols in place, I can't access those states for day trips. NY is in the same "pod" as CT, so now I need to look into eastern NY areas. I know Catamount; it's right next to me. But Windham, Bellayre, Plattekill, Hunter.... differences, strengths, weaknesses, general vibe? I gather Hunter is a big, loud NYC place (that would NOT be my wheelhouse), but that's only reputation.
Anyone got a primer or overview?
Thanks.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
OK, so I live in NW CT, very close to border with MA and NY. In years past, Jiminy Peak MA was my easy-day-trip area and southern VT was the longer-day-trip destination.
But...with quarantine protocols in place, I can't access those states for day trips. NY is in the same "pod" as CT, so now I need to look into eastern NY areas. I know Catamount; it's right next to me. But Windham, Bellayre, Plattekill, Hunter.... differences, strengths, weaknesses, general vibe? I gather Hunter is a big, loud NYC place (that would NOT be my wheelhouse), but that's only reputation.
Anyone got a primer or overview?
Thanks.
Hunter isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation especially if you hit it during the week. The lodge/bar scene gets a little raucous but that should be significantly curtailed this season. They do have the best terrain of the bunch, IMO. Windham terrain is boring. Bellayre is a bit better. Others will have to chime in about Plattekill.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Huntahh but only mid week or late season weekends. Total crowded spitshow holidays and mid season weekends. I'll take boring terrain I can ski over the best in the area that also requires parking in BFE and long waits for everything..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, so I live in NW CT, very close to border with MA and NY.
Salisbury CT to Gore MT North Creek NY = 2 hr 35 mn via I - 87 N if accurate for you I wouldn't waste my time in the Cats ... I'm jealous!!!

2 hr 35 min (146 miles)
via I-87 N

Fastest route, the usual traffic

Salisbury
Connecticut

Get on I-90 W in Canaan from CT-41 N, MA-41 N, MA-71 W and NY-22 N

43 min (30.5 mi)

Continue on I-90 W. Drive from I-87 N to Lake George. Take exit 23 from I-87 N
1 hr 25 min (93.5 mi)

Take U.S. 9 N and NY-28 S to Gore Mountain State Ski Center in North Creek
30 min (22.1 mi)

Gore Mountain Ski Resort

793 Peaceful Valley Rd, North Creek, NY 12853

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Huntahh but only mid week or late season weekends. Total crowded spitshow holidays and mid season weekends. I'll take boring terrain I can ski over the best in the area that also requires parking in BFE and long waits for everything..
And New Years Day...very quiet. ;)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Salisbury CT to Gore MT North Creek NY = 2 hr 35 mn via I - 87 N if accurate for you I wouldn't waste my time in the Cats ... I'm jealous!!!

2 hr 35 min (146 miles)
via I-87 N

Fastest route, the usual traffic

Salisbury
Connecticut

Get on I-90 W in Canaan from CT-41 N, MA-41 N, MA-71 W and NY-22 N

43 min (30.5 mi)

Continue on I-90 W. Drive from I-87 N to Lake George. Take exit 23 from I-87 N
1 hr 25 min (93.5 mi)

Take U.S. 9 N and NY-28 S to Gore Mountain State Ski Center in North Creek
30 min (22.1 mi)

Gore Mountain Ski Resort

793 Peaceful Valley Rd, North Creek, NY 12853
Then quarantine for 2 weeks because you crossed a state line..

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We used to ski Hunter Christmas eve day. Nobody there and everyone who was was very friendly. My friend's dad always drove us there just to get out of his wife's way for her pre holiday stress out.

Seriously though Hunter for decent vert. and pitch. Better IMO than Windham or Bellayere. Never skied Plattekill. Gore is better still.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
If you don't mind the drive, then Gore is the best for variety and scenery. For the closer Catskills, hunter is the best for terrain, the new north side seems underutilized so you can avoid crowds there.
Bellyare is OK , but the "good " vertical is 800-900 feet, I think the tomahawk pod is great. It's not the most scenic area IMHO as its a long ridge with no spruce up top like VT mtns. Actually, the ski areas in the cats have no spruce on top.

I've been to Platekill a few times, good pitch and old school vibe with glades if there is snow. Its kind of out of the way but that keeps the surrounding area unspoiled .

Windham is the most resorty of the bunch. Well polished and the terrain is OK, like a mini okemo. Although not super exciting, enough is there if the east side lift is running.

I'm a midweek skier and was thinking of getting the Ski 3 card, for Gore, beelyare, first ticket free, then every 6 th ticket free, & discount days

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hunter isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation especially if you hit it during the week. The lodge/bar scene gets a little raucous but that should be significantly curtailed this season. They do have the best terrain of the bunch, IMO. Windham terrain is boring. Bellayre is a bit better. Others will have to chime in about Plattekill.
Agree, Hunter would be my pick of the Cats and can be quite good on weekdays, at least it was before covid. Plattekill might be good when you want to ski on a weekend when there's a decent natural snowpack. Gore would be fine on days when you feel like driving a little further for a bigger mtn.

Reactions: Ogg

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I ski a lot of Sunday am’s at Hunter....park like 50 yards from 6 pack or triple........so my first hand experience is a bit different. You can learn to avoid crowds..... It’s not awesome, in fact most people thinks it sucks cuz of clientele.....but it’s better than PA.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Windham Mtn is running a 3 ticket pack for $56/day for low capacity days. Not a bad price considering the lack of deals this season.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Hunter for weekdays and Plattekill for weekends so long as they have decent snowcover.

I typically ski Wednesdays at a variety of places, but only bought NE Epic pass so it should be Hunter this year. Typical Wednesdays will be 2-3 minute liftline at the 6 pack and ski right on to anything else. No crowds normally inside, and I'm guessing less this year.

Platty is great on the weekends if there is decent snowpack. The woods can be great. Way more challenging terrain than anything else around due to the trees and lack of grooming on at least 50% of the trail width. No liftlines to worry about. The lodge is where it seems busy. Not sure how they will deal with that this year.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Anyone ski West Mtn? Was wondering how it compares to the other mid-atlantic ski areas.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
West Mountain is just west of Glens Falls, NY

Sponsor

Staff online