• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Selecting a quick-turning all-mountain ski for mostly on-piste

JRMTX

Booting up
Skier
Hello Ski Talk! I'm trying to select a quick-turning all-mountain ski for mostly on-piste. Many options. I've already reviewed many of the relevant threads, which helped me to create a list of 8 candidates below. Thanks in advance for any input, hopefully this helps others.

Me: age 63, height 5-9.5" (176 cm) and weight 190 lbs (86 kg). Strong-intermediate to advanced skier, say average of 2 weeks/year for last 30 years (might ski 0 days to 4+ weeks in a given year). Have skied all over - Rockies, Cali, W. Canada, Europe & Norway.
* Almost always on marked trails, blues & black single diamonds - not necessarily groomed, but tend to avoid moguls. Usually destination resorts. I like to go faster than most, but not a speed demon. Not interested in double diamonds, hiking to free-ride, trees, off-piste, etc.
* What I'm looking for is a quick/easy turning ski that's stable cruising fast, and versatile enough for most snow conditions - icy, corduroy, powder on top of hard pack, afternoon mush, whatever. If it was a true powder day, I'd rent a ski, not really a factor in the selection.
* For 2023 offerings from major brands, what I'm looking for is probably an "all mountain" ski, or possibly one marketed as "on-piste" but with words like "versatile" in the description. Not a true slalom or racing ski, not a wide powder ski, etc. All rounder for designated blue & black runs.
* Length - I'm thinking something in range of 170, but this could depend on a particular ski. Width under the binding say 75 to 90, but again this depends on a particular ski.
* I've read the "go narrow" threads and there's some merit in the reasoning. But skis that are say ~70 wide seem less versatile, and 80 or 90 isn't that much wider, and the tradeoffs up to say 90 width don't appear to be serious.
* For current offerings of "all mountain skis", it looks like brand marketing and sales staff are pushing buyers toward 90-100+ widths for "oh wow le epic powder day", off-piste, one ski quiver, free ride, etc. I'd rather have a ski that was great on-piste but nothing special in powder than a ski that tries to do it all and ends up being merely good-enough at everything. One ski can't do everything - but one ski can do everything that I'm interested in doing, and that's what I'm trying to pick.
* Price isn't a major driver, but I like good value. Most of the ski's >$900 appear to be for experts. But I'll get the Nordica Doberman Spitfire 80.RB for $950 if it would be noticeably "better" for me than the Blizzard Brahma 82 at $600.

I love my current skis - K2 Rictors from 2013. They cruise fast & turn on a dime. Any snow conditions. If the new skis are as good or better, then I'm happy. The K2 Rictors are billed as "all mountain" skis for "advanced to expert" skiers.
* Length = 160 (yeah, too short, long story). Turn Radius = 13.0. Widths = 127 / 80 / 109. Rocker-camber 30-70-0.
* If I could get a new pair of K2 Rictors I would. So why am I changing? New boots > new GW bindings > new skis.
* The K2 Rictors are ranked 4.5 to 4.7 stars out of 5 from over 40 reviews on evo.com + freeride.com. My experience and online user reviews mostly match the K2 marketing spiel: "If you are searching for the most versatile high performance ski available, then look no further. Equally at home on the steepest, rock-solid groomer or the back bowls on a powder day, the Rictor is your one-ski quiver. Incredible versatility stems from the optimal combination of width, shape, and Baseline profile, resulting in an expert level ski that will have you skiing from first to last chair."

So, here are the candidates, ranked according to my perception of specifications, marketing descriptions & user reviews online.

Brand, Model, "Type", Skill Level, List $, Length, Turn Radius, Widths frt / W / rear, rocker camber, wt-g (2)
1) Nordica, Doberman Spitfire 80-RB,
"on piste", adv/exprt 4-5/5, $950, 168, 15.0, 130 / 80 / 110, 100%, 4430
2) Rossi, Experience 82-Ti, "all mtn", adv/exprt 4-5/5, $800, 168, 14.0, 127 / 82 / 115, unkn, 3300
3) Salomon, S/Force Ti 80, "on piste", Advanced, $850 w/ bdg, 170, 15.0, 128 / 80 / 112, unkn, 4390
4) Blizzard, Brahma 82, "all mtn", int/adv 3-4 /5, $600, 166, 13.5, 121 / 82 / 105, rk-cmb-rk, 3400
5) Voelkl, Deacon 76, all mtn, adv/pro, 1-9 /10, $1050 w/ bdg, 171, 16.5, 124 / 76 / 104, unkn, 3300
6) Stoeckli, Montero (Laser) AX, "piste / am", advanced, $unkn, 168, 14.5, 124 / 80 / 112, rocker tech, 3840
7) Nordica, Enforcer 88, all mtn, expert 5/5, $700, 172, 15.5, 121 / 88 / 109, 30-50-20, 3900
8) K2, Mindbender 89-Ti, "speed / freerd", advanced, $700, 170, 15.4, 130 / 89 / 114, 25-65-10, unkn

Above have my best guesses at lengths and model widths, please let me know if something different would be better.

Models I reviewed but didn't make the list: Nordica Navigator 85 CA, K2 Disruption 78-Ti, Stoeckli Montero (Laser) AR, Salomon Stance 84, Voelkl Deacon 76 Master, Voelkl Kendo 88, Voelkl Mantra M6
- Considering what I'm looking for, please say I should remove or add any models from the list. Selections tended to favor my perception of "all mountain & on-piste" more than "all mountain & powder/free-ride".

We're going to Beaver Creek & Vail in February / March. Unless there's an obvious choice, will demo some skis before buying, but would like to narrow the list down to say 3 skis.

Have a great week.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Atomic Redster Q7 might be worth considering. A little more on the easy side than some of the others you listed but certainly not a noodle.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I’ve never seen you ski so please don’t take offense but my gut inclination would be to re-rank your list based on how you ski vs. how reviewers often ski. It might come close to turning your list upside down.

Reviewers of skis:

28929485-D983-4D1E-8701-C8952B412EAE.jpeg

Most skiers reading reviews to choose skis:

28D6C7C0-BEF5-4A2F-85ED-0A18792BB7F3.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the tail like on your Rictor?
It’s unfortunate Salomon discontinued the Bold and othe S force skis.
The S Force ti80 is probably a worthy contender, but they have very square tails. That’s a plus for some and a minus for others.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
My previous daily drivers were also the K2 Rictors (90). They served my well and are my current rock skis. My current daily drivers are the Liberty Evolv 90. I have wider skis, the but the Evolvs see the most use. I would take a look at the Liberty Evolv series, maybe the Evolv 84 if you want to focus on the on-piste performance or the 90 if you'd like to venture offroading. Hope this helps.

2023 Liberty Evolv 84

2023 Liberty Evolv 90

Last edited:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I can very much relate to everything that you said. I am a year younger and 15 pounds lighter. I used to teach on the K2 Bolt and AMP Rictors. They were developed by a friend / mentor of mine who is a former USST member, and product developer for K2, which explains their carvey carvey nature.

After the Rictors I went with Stockli Laser AX, and could not be happier. They have such a wide range of abilities. I teach in CO and can be anywhere on the mountain - from wedge turns in the beginner area to laying trenches on groomers or in powder with a more advanced guest. They do it all.

I also have the SC, and the FIS SL ski. If you trend more towards groomers, the SC is superb. However the AX is a bit more versatile.

My AXs are 168 (I think). The SCs are about the same. Maybe 165? If you are on groomers, shorter ski = more positive edge engagement = more control.

Enjoy.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
At 190 lbs, OP would be fine with the Fischer SC. 165 cm is a good length. I own an older pair, and would hesitate to recommend it if OP weighed 120 lbs, but at 190, no problem.
With a 13 m sidecut radius, also not recommended for high speeds.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I can and would recommend the Rossignol E86. The carbon vs the TI would be your call, as to how aggressive a skier you are or want to be. I ski the TI, they are extremely versatile yet easy to ski anything. You can find many reviews on this site and online.
Always demo if you can!

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think the Blossom AM77 170cm skis should be on his short list. Add the Powerail-Grip Walk-PRD12s as bindings and good to go.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread is a classic example of most contributors just recommending what they happen to own, in some cases for the umpteenth predictable time. I acknowledge that others' journeys may be applicable if they share a lot of variables with the OP and his context. But only if the journeys were reasonably well informed and researched, covering a reasonable number of contemporary ski models. Otherwise it's just rampant confirmation bias.

What I'm not seeing is much effort to try to elicit more info from the OP, or insight into his candidate choices that might help him narrow things down better.

Let me try to do a little of that.

@JRMTX, are you still out there listening? You've said where you HAVE SKIED, but where do you USUALLY ski? It matters because predominant snow conditions and mountain characteristics can inform ski choice. For example, those of us in the icy east will often pick a narrower ski as a daily driver than someone who skis in Utah.

Observation: You are a 10 - 15 day a year skier who does not live in ski country.

Observation: You learned to ski a long time ago - before the shaped ski era.

Observation: You weigh 190 and have been skiing on a 160cm recreational ski for 10 years and appear to be totally happy with them, saying:

They cruise fast & turn on a dime. Any snow conditions. If the new skis are as good or better, then I'm happy. The K2 Rictors are billed as "all mountain" skis for "advanced to expert" skiers.
* If I could get a new pair of K2 Rictors I would

Observation: Notwithstanding your enthusiasm for the Rictors, you haven't been on enough contemporary skis to have a real frame of reference for knowing how they stack up against other skis that are out there.

Reasoned opinion: Both your height and (especially) your weight mean that you should be on a longer ski. Something in the 170s probably.

Reasoned opinion: But since your current ski is short and you don't find it lacking, and since you are not a young gun, and since you don't ski a ton of days, a highly demanding ski in that longer length is not likely the best fit.

Reasoned opinion: Since I'm guessing from your Texas location that you ski most often in the Rockies (softer snow), and since I'm guessing from all the observations above that you are not a hard core arc-to-arc carvaholic, and since you have not expressed ambitions to become one, a full-camber carving ski is not likely the best fit.

Reasoned opinion: Most people with your profile, that we've just outlined, love their 80 - 90mm so-called "all-mountain" skis, that are really groomer skis with an easy button designed-in for the way that most people actually ski.

With all this in mind, let's revisit your candidates:

1) Nordica, Doberman Spitfire 80-RB, "on piste", adv/exprt 4-5/5, $950, 168, 15.0, 130 / 80 / 110, 100%, 4430
Too racy, too demanding, ditch.

2) Rossi, Experience 82-Ti, "all mtn", adv/exprt 4-5/5, $800, 168, 14.0, 127 / 82 / 115, unkn, 3300
Great option. I would put this at the top of your list. Also the 86 Ti, which I have not been on in its most recent incarnation, but lots of well informed skiers here like a whole lot. Ideally you should demo both the 167/8 vs. the 176, which theoretically is more your size.

3) Salomon, S/Force Ti 80, "on piste", Advanced, $850 w/ bdg, 170, 15.0, 128 / 80 / 112, unkn, 4390
I don't know enough about this one but it seems plausible based on reviews here.

4) Blizzard, Brahma 82, "all mtn", int/adv 3-4 /5, $600, 166, 13.5, 121 / 82 / 105, rk-cmb-rk, 3400
This is a great design for what you're looking for, but it's a strong ski. The 166 is pretty short for someone your size. You would benefit from the stability of a longer ski. I would demo the 173. If you love it, perfect. If you don't, scratch this ski from your list rather than going to the shorter size.

5) Voelkl, Deacon 76, all mtn, adv/pro, 1-9 /10, $1050 w/ bdg, 171, 16.5, 124 / 76 / 104, unkn, 3300
Plausible, but I think you'll enjoy a less carve-oriented design more. Suggest scratching this one.

6) Stoeckli, Montero (Laser) AX, "piste / am", advanced, $unkn, 168, 14.5, 124 / 80 / 112, rocker tech 3840
Well, it's everyone's baby, so I'm not gonna be the one to tell you no. Worth the price premium, for you? Doubtful. Also, you're slightly between sizes here. The 168 might be a tad short, and the 175 might be too much ski.

7) Nordica, Enforcer 88, all mtn, expert 5/5, $700, 172, 15.5, 121 / 88 / 109, 30-50-20, 3900
Good choice. Good length. Some of the same caveats apply as with the Brahma. This one and the next one are nudging up on the "a bit wide for someone who only skis groomers" threshold

8) K2, Mindbender 89-Ti, "speed / freerd", advanced, $700, 170, 15.4, 130 / 89 / 114, 25-65-10, unkn
Don't know enough about this one personally. It may be a little too off-piste oriented, but probably worth a try as a "control" for that type of ski.

There are LOTS of other skis that might work well for you. One that I haven't been on personally but kind of fits in the same category as the S/Force 80 is the Kastle PX 81. Check out the reviews for that one on this site and elsewhere. It comes in two sizes in the 17x range.

Either of the Elan Wingman CTi models (82 or 86) could be great as well, in the 172 or 178 lengths. (Try both.)

One thing that all four of these skis have in common is that they are compliant enough that you can ski them in a length that's appropriate for your height and weight without being overpowering.

Last edited:

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just a midwest skier, but always felt the more turns the more fun I'd have on our short runs. After skiing some mid 90's salomon 9100's for way past their prime, I picked up some dynastar M-pro's last year and I'd say they fit the bill of a quick turning fun ski for groomers. I had never considered them going in and the boot fitter I was working with convinced me to get these. I'm pretty happy with them after a season on them.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I own the K2 MB 90Ti which has been replaced by the 89Ti. The 90 (and assume the 89 also) definitely fits most of your criteria with the possible exception of "quick turning". One ski not mentioned that I think would be a good choice is the Head V10. Just updated this year and is a very versatile ski in the mid 80s width and well suited for a upper intermeditate to advanced skier. But don't just listen to me. Read the SkiTalk reviews.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Might be worth noting that after joining on Thursday and immediately putting up his first post, the OP has not been back.

Screenshot_20221203-133151.png

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hello Ski Talk! I'm trying to select a quick-turning all-mountain ski for mostly on-piste. Many options. I've already reviewed many of the relevant threads, which helped me to create a list of 8 candidates below. Thanks in advance for any input, hopefully this helps others.

Me: age 63, height 5-9.5" (176 cm) and weight 190 lbs (86 kg). Strong-intermediate to advanced skier, say average of 2 weeks/year for last 30 years (might ski 0 days to 4+ weeks in a given year). Have skied all over - Rockies, Cali, W. Canada, Europe & Norway.
* Almost always on marked trails, blues & black single diamonds - not necessarily groomed, but tend to avoid moguls. Usually destination resorts. I like to go faster than most, but not a speed demon. Not interested in double diamonds, hiking to free-ride, trees, off-piste, etc.
* What I'm looking for is a quick/easy turning ski that's stable cruising fast, and versatile enough for most snow conditions - icy, corduroy, powder on top of hard pack, afternoon mush, whatever. If it was a true powder day, I'd rent a ski, not really a factor in the selection.
* For 2023 offerings from major brands, what I'm looking for is probably an "all mountain" ski, or possibly one marketed as "on-piste" but with words like "versatile" in the description. Not a true slalom or racing ski, not a wide powder ski, etc. All rounder for designated blue & black runs.
* Length - I'm thinking something in range of 170, but this could depend on a particular ski. Width under the binding say 75 to 90, but again this depends on a particular ski.
* I've read the "go narrow" threads and there's some merit in the reasoning. But skis that are say ~70 wide seem less versatile, and 80 or 90 isn't that much wider, and the tradeoffs up to say 90 width don't appear to be serious.
* For current offerings of "all mountain skis", it looks like brand marketing and sales staff are pushing buyers toward 90-100+ widths for "oh wow le epic powder day", off-piste, one ski quiver, free ride, etc. I'd rather have a ski that was great on-piste but nothing special in powder than a ski that tries to do it all and ends up being merely good-enough at everything. One ski can't do everything - but one ski can do everything that I'm interested in doing, and that's what I'm trying to pick.
* Price isn't a major driver, but I like good value. Most of the ski's >$900 appear to be for experts. But I'll get the Nordica Doberman Spitfire 80.RB for $950 if it would be noticeably "better" for me than the Blizzard Brahma 82 at $600.

I love my current skis - K2 Rictors from 2013. They cruise fast & turn on a dime. Any snow conditions. If the new skis are as good or better, then I'm happy. The K2 Rictors are billed as "all mountain" skis for "advanced to expert" skiers.
* Length = 160 (yeah, too short, long story). Turn Radius = 13.0. Widths = 127 / 80 / 109. Rocker-camber 30-70-0.
* If I could get a new pair of K2 Rictors I would. So why am I changing? New boots > new GW bindings > new skis.
* The K2 Rictors are ranked 4.5 to 4.7 stars out of 5 from over 40 reviews on evo.com + freeride.com. My experience and online user reviews mostly match the K2 marketing spiel: "If you are searching for the most versatile high performance ski available, then look no further. Equally at home on the steepest, rock-solid groomer or the back bowls on a powder day, the Rictor is your one-ski quiver. Incredible versatility stems from the optimal combination of width, shape, and Baseline profile, resulting in an expert level ski that will have you skiing from first to last chair."

So, here are the candidates, ranked according to my perception of specifications, marketing descriptions & user reviews online.

Brand, Model, "Type", Skill Level, List $, Length, Turn Radius, Widths frt / W / rear, rocker camber, wt-g (2)
1) Nordica, Doberman Spitfire 80-RB,
"on piste", adv/exprt 4-5/5, $950, 168, 15.0, 130 / 80 / 110, 100%, 4430
6) Stoeckli, Montero (Laser) AX, "piste / am", advanced, $unkn, 168, 14.5, 124 / 80 / 112, rocker tech, 3840

Above have my best guesses at lengths and model widths, please let me know if something different would be better.

Models I reviewed but didn't make the list: Nordica Navigator 85 CA, K2 Disruption 78-Ti, Stoeckli Montero (Laser) AR, Salomon Stance 84, Voelkl Deacon 76 Master, Voelkl Kendo 88, Voelkl Mantra M6
- Considering what I'm looking for, please say I should remove or add any models from the list. Selections tended to favor my perception of "all mountain & on-piste" more than "all mountain & powder/free-ride".

We're going to Beaver Creek & Vail in February / March. Unless there's an obvious choice, will demo some skis before buying, but would like to narrow the list down to say 3 skis.

Have a great week.
Of that list with that use case I’d personally get the Brahma 82.

Indeed with that use case with an open ended choice of skis, I’d pick them.

edit to add…and I agree with @Tony S that the 173 length would be best.

Sponsor

Staff online