• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shorter Days means... Lights at Night Mountain Biking

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've not ridden after dark...yet. Do you have both a helmet mount and handlebar mount? that's what's been suggested, with the brighter (read: very bright) light on the helmet.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Back in the 90's we used to do a lot of night riding. I am sure our 15w Nightrider would be like comparing a candle to todays lighting systems,

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never done a night ride and I doubt I ever will. OK I admit it, I am scared of the woods in the dark.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've not ridden after dark...yet. Do you have both a helmet mount and handlebar mount? that's what's been suggested, with the brighter (read: very bright) light on the helmet.

I'd recommend doing it the other way around. Brighter light on the bars. If it is on the helmet there are no shadows and everything looks really flat. A tombstone of a rock will look like it is lying flat on the ground if your helmet light is way stronger than the one on the bars.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd recommend doing it the other way around. Brighter light on the bars. If it is on the helmet there are no shadows and everything looks really flat. A tombstone of a rock will look like it is lying flat on the ground if your helmet light is way stronger than the one on the bars.
I'll have to try both ways. The guys at the local shop said you want the brightest light to move with your head.
Or, bright lights on both! I like that idea.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Never done a night ride and I doubt I ever will. OK I admit it, I am scared of the woods in the dark.
So am I! I think I'd have to ride with at least 2 others, and put one in front of me and one behind. Seriously.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Night riding is great, but be ready to see a lot of flying things that are attracted to the light... it's really cool, and really freaky. You won't think "oh no, I'm alone in the woods!"... you'll think "Holy sh*t, I'm surrounded by stuff just out of range of the light!"... surrounded... and fragile... and out of your element. It's a cool sensation- it makes you feel very vulnerable , kind of like skinny dipping in the dark... somewhere you think there might be snapping turtles.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I found the helmet light was key, it gave me the ability to look where I was going..or wanted to go. I would suggest starting with that if you have to start with just one light first.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just got back. I ride at night multiple times per week. Good lights can be had for cheaper than you think. Helmet is key IMO.

After a while you get used to it. I've seen all kinds of animals and startled is all I get. The best rides are the ones you start late in the day, safety break at sunset and ride into the night

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I'm looking for a good value helmet light. I'd like to find one that allows me to use a compact LED flashlight rather than a dedicated bike specific light. And certainly no external battery packs.

Right now I have a Surefire on the handlebars using one of those Velcro thingees and it works well. It's loose enough to bounce but I think if it were rigid it would bounce all the same. I suspect a helmet light would be steadier.

Not sure of the balance between the beams but I think having a weaker helmet light may be advantageous.

Sponsor