• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skating, how to tell if my poles are the right length?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
My poles are sized the "standard" height: to the lip (while in ski boot but not on skis).

But at times, my poles felt like they have a mind of their own. I have had on quite a few occasions planted my poles between my skis!

When it happened with the poles ended up BEHIND the binding (behind my legs), I was able to disentangle them without falling, most of the time (but not every time).

But my poles somehow managed to get planted IN FRONT of the binding! More than once. Each and every time, I crashed. Once so badly I ended up needing to see an orthopedic and cut short my season.

Is that a technique thing that one eventually master? Or is that possibly an indication the poles might be too long?

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's technique ;) But if you want to blame it on poles, they are too short if anything. With too long poles, there's very little chance for you to lift them high enough to pass your legs and manage to stick them between skis. With too long poles you will plant them to snow somewhere around your boot at best if not even behind the boot, so no option to carry them forward enough to stick them between skis. With too short, you lift them normally and as they are shorter tips will be high above snow and infront of your boots, so it can happen to plant them between your skis.
And sorry no explanation for, if I managed to understood right, planting them behind your legs and yet still between skis. This sounds pretty much impossible for me regardless on pole length :)

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you watch enough world cup skiing, every now and then, you’ll see one of them trip themselves. It happens. Should not happen often though, more likely due to upper body rotation than pole length.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree on upper body rotation being a major culprit.

Imagine a pencil poking straight out of your belly button.

Keep it pointed straight down the trail all the time.

Of course, not truly possible, but it helps point you in the right direction. Bwahahaha!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Are you doing the old school hands front reach and PLANT, or are you doing the modern carving tippy tap to the side instead of actually planting the pole old school?

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you doing the old school hands front reach and PLANT, or are you doing the modern carving tippy tap to the side instead of actually planting the pole old school?
Wait. This is in the nordic section. There is no “carving tippy tap to the side” in skating pole technique.

My skating poles come up to my hairline, so maybe yours are a tad too short, @crosscountry . BUT..I fail to see how your poles, being just a tad shorter, would contribute to the problem you describe. Some skaters do use poles that are a little shorter. EDIT: But @Primoz who is universes ahead of me in skill, just explained how that can happen!

Here’s a good video introducing the V1 technique. I prefer V2 most of the time (poling on my lead foot). If I skated more, I’d probably use different techniques. But these days, for the short term, my opportunities are limited. So I stick with the most comfortable technique for me.

If you haven’t done this much, go skate without your poles. It really helps improve balance and knowing where your feet are. I have found that when I do this at the beginning of my skate session, my poling is much better when I use them.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not to worry crgildart ..... imma go start a non-nordic poling technique in the general thread .....

Wait: can I do that if I'm a free heeler??

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Please elaborate what sort of upper body rotation would likely lead to pole planting errors?
Im a total noob at skating but the local instructor gave me a quick pro tip. When bringing your hands forward, pretend you have a glass of water in each hand and you want to throw that water straight out in front of you. Dont swing you arm back and throw that glass of water in your face or over your shoulder.

Sponsor

Staff online