• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski lessons way more affordable in Southamerica...

esteban525

https://fedewenzelski.com/
Instructor
With a regular price of about USD 200 for a full-day private lesson, it makes Patagonia an interesting destination for a Ski trip. Argentina Instructor's Certification (AADIDESS) is a very high level and world-renowned.
Also, Patagonia is one of the less crowded ski destinations in the world. Empty trails and affordable ski instruction are a no-brainer. Not to mention the scenery, the culture, the people, the beef and Malbec red wines...
When planning for your next ski vacation, think about Southamerica too. You won't regret it...

Cheers,

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not to mention the scenery, the culture, the people, the beef and Malbec red wines...

You forgot the most important: the fly fishing... ;)

If Bariloche is the place to go skiing, La Boca de Chimehuin is what.....only 200 kms away?
Even if (as I am told) it is far from the times of Bebe Anchorena, Jorge Donovan and Joe Brooks it is still extremely high on my bucket list. ;)
Imagine the feeling of being there and casting shaving brush-sized blondies on a #8 switch rod...a dream.

Last edited:
TS
esteban525

esteban525

https://fedewenzelski.com/
Instructor
You forgot the most important: the fly fishing... ;)

If Bariloche is the place to go skiing, La Boca de Chimehuin is what.....only 200 kms away?
Even if (as I am told) it is far from the times of Bebe Anchorena, Jorge Donovan and Joe Brooks it is still extremely high on my bucket list. ;)
Imagine the feeling of being there and casting shaving brush-sized blondies on a #8 switch rod...a dream.

Traful River is a must too... a great part of the history of fly fishing down here happened there as well... And pound by pound, the landlocked Atlantic salmon fights like no other...

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I could get enough vacation time, I would go. I was born in Argentina, and most of my relatives are there. About twenty years ago I took a bus across Patagonia from Puerto Madryn to Esquel, and then on to El Bolson. This was in April or May, so not many tourists around. I have always wanted to go back, and skiing would make it even more fun. I would need lots of time off work because I have lots of relatives!

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For less money, go to Europe. Everything will cost less.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
For less money, go to Europe. Everything will cost less.

Whereabouts are you going in Europe? I usually (pre pandemic) ski Europe/US/Japan/South America each year, and South America is generally cheapest. Argentina is dependent on the frankly insane fluctuations of the Argentine peso, but it can be very good value there. Portillo is my personal favourite but as @esteban525 says, it is a bit more expensive.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Can't broadstroke "Murika like that. There are plenty of ski hills (and mountains) off the beaten path with great ski schools and affordable lessons. Places up in the NC mountains above 4-5K elevation offer full privates for around $50/hr and group lessons for pocket change. Pretty sure several midwestern bumps also have options in that price range. It's really only the BIG destination resorts that are charging more than $100/hr for private lessons here in the US.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A half day private ski lesson at PCMR (9am-12:30pm) is $799. Based on my observations over many years, fewer than 5% of instructors here are better than intermediate level skiers themselves. You can work out the odds of getting great value yourselves.

Sponsor

Staff online