• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta SkiBig3

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We’ll have to keep each other posted as if would be fun to meet up with other SkiTalkers. Was pondering doing Utah this year but I have a feeling it’s going to be a better snow year in Canada.
My seat of the pants take over the years on snow conditions in western Canada vs Colorado/Utah is that really good snow years in the western USA vs western Canada is they (the US) do better in the really good years and a lot worse than western Canada in the bad years. In other words ski conditions in the B.C. interior and Alberta are very steady and reliable with less fluctuation in snowfalls, year after year vs. elsewhere.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My seat of the pants take over the years on snow conditions in western Canada vs Colorado/Utah is that really good snow years in the western USA vs western Canada is they (the US) do better in the really good years and a lot worse than western Canada in the bad years. In other words ski conditions in the B.C. interior and Alberta are very steady and reliable with less fluctuation in snowfalls, year after year vs. elsewhere.
Would agree with that! Always have pretty consistent snow in Alberta/BC mid-late season. Have been in “good snow” years in Utah during trips and was on my powder skis more than my daily drivers. Keep seeing La Niña forecasts for this winter with areas south of Jackson Hole getting more rain this year.
Guess we’ll find out in a few months.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What skis do you have in addition to the new CT 1.0(which is a perfect daily driver for both placestook the wider(102mm) CT 2.0 as my daily driver the last time in addition to my 118mm Wildcats but pondering bringing the CT 3.0(112mm) as my powder ski this time.
My fattest skis are the Volkl Blaze 94, but I’m mounting touring bindings on those. I think I’d prefer to bring a board for any conditions that call for skis fatter than the CT 1.0s, because I do prefer to snowboard in powder. And yeah, I’m guessing the CT 1.0s will be my choice for daily skiing.

We’ll have to keep each other posted as if would be fun to meet up with other SkiTalkers. Was pondering doing Utah this year but I have a feeling it’s going to be a better snow year in Canada.
Definitely, it’ll be a great time! I love Ski Big3, it’ll be my third time there and I don’t see myself getting tired of it anytime soon. First time in Revelstoke so very excited for that if it happens… but I’m definitely going to be at LL/SSV since my husband goes to this conference every year (it is pretty sweet… the trauma surgeons rotate ski resorts for their annual conference.)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First time in Revelstoke so very excited for that if it happens… but I’m definitely going to be at LL/SSV
Something to consider when traveling thru Rogers Pass to go from LL to Revy: The Pass averages 60 closure days per year, most in winter due to avy control. So best head to Revy at the start of your trip in case you have to spend an extra unplanned day on the Revy side, waiting for Rogers Pass to reopen.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the trauma surgeons rotate ski resorts for their annual conference.
Job security! ;)

I will likely be at SSV on March 10 and 11 - lesson on the 11th, but my kids have the day off school in the 10th so we are booked to go up, ski, and stay at the hotel that night.

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Something to consider when traveling thru Rogers Pass to go from LL to Revy: The Pass averages 60 closure days per year, most in winter due to avy control. So best head to Revy at the start of your trip in case you have to spend an extra unplanned day on the Revy side, waiting for Rogers Pass to reopen.
Yup, that’s exactly our plan!

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Think I’m gonna go to Banff and ski Sunshine during American Thanksgiving and a few days after. Solo trip so far. Was already planning on taking a few days off after Thanksgiving to ski the WROD at Sugarbush, but the snowmaking forecast in Vermont is poor, I kinda need the getaway, and I have the points for it.

Anyone gonna be around? I have the IKON Pass but those days are earmarked for my March trip out there, so I’ll get the Banff Super Card which is honestly a super deal for visiting in November.

Reactions: Mel

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
3B5D2A4E-595C-44BA-BDDC-809BB1DE5D1C.jpeg
Spent yesterday skiing with @Mel - a kindred spirit and an absolute angel. The forecast had called for flurries but it snowed a goodly amount and softened things up nicely during the course of the day.

The ungroomed stuff was a bit rocky but nothing this Mad River Glen skier was fazed by, really not bad at all. I’m quite pleased that my bump skiing tactics from late last season have stuck if nothing else.

Considering snowboarding today to give my ski legs a rest. Safety first and all. Was going to wait to snowboard until it got colder (single digits Fahrenheit Monday/Tuesday) so I could enjoy the warmer boots but my early season ski muscles need a recovery day!

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 184123
Spent yesterday skiing with @Mel - a kindred spirit and an absolute angel. The forecast had called for flurries but it snowed a goodly amount and softened things up nicely during the course of the day.

The ungroomed stuff was a bit rocky but nothing this Mad River Glen skier was fazed by, really not bad at all. I’m quite pleased that my bump skiing tactics from late last season have stuck if nothing else.

Considering snowboarding today to give my ski legs a rest. Safety first and all. Was going to wait to snowboard until it got colder (single digits Fahrenheit Monday/Tuesday) so I could enjoy the warmer boots but my early season ski muscles need a recovery day!
It was such a fun day, even with the “sporty” early season conditions. And thanks for bringing the snow with you!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi hi - it was -31C on the mountain this morning,
^^^ -31*C...Now you know why "Springtime in the Rockies" actually is a thing and the best time to ski Banff.

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
I personally think the optimal temperature is 1 degree higher than the lowest temperature you can enjoy skiing in. Keeps the lift lines down :) If they're spinnin' I'm in!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I personally think the optimal temperature is 1 degree higher than the lowest temperature you can enjoy skiing in. Keeps the lift lines down :) If they're spinnin' I'm in!
I think with the right cold weather ski gear temperature is relative. For example a hybrid down jacket like the Arc'Teryx Macai is good to -30F with a base layer. Pair that with insulated ski pants and an insulated leggings plus thermals along with either arctic rated mitts or heated gloves, a merino balaclava, heated goggles and boot heaters and you will find that your bottom temperature is much lower. Just saying with the right gear you can ski comfortably during the deep freeze :)

ilovepugs

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think with the right cold weather ski gear temperature is relative. For example a hybrid down jacket like the Arc'Teryx Macai is good to -30F with a base layer. Pair that with insulated ski pants and an insulated leggings plus thermals along with either arctic rated mitts or heated gloves, a merino balaclava, heated goggles and boot heaters and you will find that your bottom temperature is much lower. Just saying with the right gear you can ski comfortably during the deep freeze :)
Oh god. I’ve found the limits of my dedication to this sport. :crash:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You aren’t wrong. My absolute lower limit is -10F. I can get comfortable around 0F. But -20F is just too cold.
I think it was -14F there one of our times. If we hadn’t been on vacation I wouldn’t have done it. But, damn it, we went there to ski, so ski we did!

I'm not headed back in January any time soon. April is sublime.

Sponsor