• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skier rescued by bystanders after falling more than 400 feet through jagged rocks at Tuckerman Ravine

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@JonathanShefftz Thanks for your contributions to this topic. It has given me some clarification.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two hikers found the gun. Fortunately they were familiar with gun safety and hence were able to retrieve it to bring it down to the police. (I would not have trusted myself to bring it down safely in my pack!)
When I was staying at the RMC Gray Knob hut later that spring, the caretaker told me he had been instructed to look for it, but didn't know why the skier had been armed -- the caretaker had a great reaction when I told him about the gray wolves!
I guess my question is an AR-15 for hiking in New England? Out west on the Rez I carried a 9mm Glock as a noise maker while solo mtn biking but never an assault rifle. Three consistent shots to indicate trouble in that remote land. Only had to pull it out once as a safety precaution if the wild stallion did not stop charging.... he stopped thank goodness. I had to clean my pants after that one! Totally unexpected between steer, elk, bulls, mountain lions, wild dogs and brown bear......... a stallion!?!? Really!?!?!:huh:.... later found out from the locals that they are some of the most dangerous wild animals on the Rez.

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Picture below is Mount Washington that spring after driving up the auto road to ski Great Gulf.
I wanted to borrow a gun from my partner, but unfortunately as a responsible gun owner he wouldn't go along with that for a photo shoot -- but he did provide with me with a real shotgun bandolier with real cartridges!
Then I borrow a toy stethoscope and bp cuff from my daughter.

View attachment 135834

Nice. Looks like you’re ready for just about anything,but how do you handle sharknado season? Just deploy the condor and start swinging?

JonathanShefftz

Putting on skis
Skier
Nice. Looks like you’re ready for just about anything, but how do you handle sharknado season? Just deploy the condor and start swinging?

Here's later on that same season at the "real" Mt Adams (i.e., the state of Washington, after the TGR peanut gallery claimed that King Ravine wasn't on "the real Mt Adams"), fully prepared for the menace from the gray wolf (cleverly disguised as a dog), and ready to render first-aid with my bp cuff and stethoscope (even while skiing down the famed SW Chutes).

20140623_140217.jpg 20140623_140446.jpg 20140623_140557.jpg 20140623_144733c.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online