• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Skiing with broken rib?

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think I ended up with some serious costochonditiis from it. Additionally, I sometimes have pain on the rib itself (probably nerve issue) and spasms within the intercostal muscles from time to time.

Could just be getting older but I think it was probably the traumas.

Also I have broken this particular rib 3 times in my life.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I went skiing today. A bit earlier than the doc advised, but, you know... :rolleyes:
During my daily activities I don't feel any pain anymore. Skiing, I felt a little tentative at first. I stuck to easy runs to get my mojo back. Plan on skiing next week for a few days. Despite all the snow on the mountain, they close April 7 to begin installation of a new high speed quad, so want to get some turns in beforehand.

TS
C

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Actually, I worry less about falls DURING skiing! More getting to/from skiing.

I had a yard sale while walking from the car to the base lodge on my last day! On hard ice no less. But fortunately I just slid half way across the parking lot on my rear. Ribs were not subjected to any drama. ;)

surfski

Putting on skis
Skier
It really sounds like you are blaming the victim ... You might consider quitting before you get further behind. :nono:
Sorry but i got he was trying to help, even as i understand why others were offended by the posts
I am very sorry to hear of what happened to Wendy trust me. Both my wife and I who are both small have been taken out from behind and injured me X3 and Sylvie X2 she was sent flying 30 feet and although nothing broken this can wreck your body ribs included forever unless someone can realign you. I'm good but she is only close to being right after 10 years of my work !
We all have hearing we all have instincts usually not utilised. I can hear sounds coming from behind and feel it is okay or not okay i stop often and don't move off again depending on the energy of what is ahead or coming down the slope.
For all that we are both still nervous wear body armour including for rib protection, Good for Wendy that she will return and not let this incident affect her. I have had my share of own fault bad falls which is accepted but being injured by or worse by another person who is seemingly oblivious is the world we apparently live in as per scooting off after fracturing a persons back, purely cowardice and self centered.
I was labelled as a tough mother in my youth but i am now at an age where healing takes a lot longer. Usually if you do not allow the body to heal fully you pay for longer good advise I have frequently not followed.
Note I broke two ribs in a fall at work previous (occupation) after 3 weeks i was pain free but due reexamination at hospital the young doctor knowingly pressing the ribs needed to redo this x3 because he forgot which number they were ! he rebroke them and i ought to have punched his lights out for it he knew what he was doing i saw that in his eyes.

Maybe ive just got way too soft but this year I saw one not too bad meeting of two skiers but also saw a large man taken out from behind watched the whole thing from the side of the piste as i knew they were coming and wanted to be out of the way. The skier who came from behind had clear visibility and all the time in the world to slow down or change his direction and not hit whom i think was one of his own group. Large or not he sent the victim flying some long way whom despite his friend asking if he was alright frankly a stupid question it was clear he was at best very badly shaken. Point of telling that is that even watching this happen to someone else was upsetting to me and a sad reminder of the risk because it was VERY VERY VERY avoidable.

Sponsor

Staff online