• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snow schools and masks - PPE

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Hi instructors and snow school directors,

The other thread on teaching in a pandemic is a great opportunity to connect. In this thread I'd like to look specifically at masks and mask requirements in snow schools. (This is not a discussion on views on whether or not masks work. There are other forums for that argument.)

We've seen lots of types of face coverings, ranging from extremely thin buffs, to neck gaiters, to balaclavas, to neoprene face masks with giant breathing holes in them. Some of these options breathe well, and others breathe poorly. Some are better at trapping droplets and vapor when "speaking moistly"; others are basically useless (e.g. the neoprene masks). Some seal well (e.g. stretchy neck gaiters), and others are just entirely open (e.g. stretched out fleece neck gaiters)

What are your snow schools doing this year for masks and personal protective equipment in lessons? Is it basically let the skier show up with whatever and go with it?

Has the PSIA put out any policy or are they leaving it to the individual snow schools?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Has the PSIA put out any policy or are they leaving it to the individual snow schools?

Now isn't that a great idea? PSIA could do research on what's known about masks worn in cold outdoor settings and come to a conclusion on what would work best, recognizing that information is spotty at this point. They could promote their conclusion with details on how they came to it to members and ski schools. Then they could re-evaluate as the season progresses and publish again their revised conclusions.

Will they?

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
The CSIA has a policy for all courses they'll be running, that mandates "face coverings" at all times, on the lifts, when talking to a group, even when skiing down. In the Course Conductor training, they let us all know that it's deliberately vague, as to avoid having to make whoever is running the course responsible for determining what makes the cut as a mask or not.

This is in addition to whatever the individual policies of the resort may be. Of the three local hills in Vancouver, one requires "face coverings," in snow school lessons and on the lifts, one requires "non-medical masks" and one has yet to say what they'll be doing this winter.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like PSAI/AASI has been working on it. I just got an e-mail from the Western Division notifying me of a webinar on Thursday 11/12/20. If you are in the Western Division you probably did, too. It includes a link to download the slides ahead of time. Lots of links in the slides.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
One of my duties this season as a ski school supervisory instructor has been developing our areas COVID Safe Practices or CSP’s as they’ve come to be known. Since Labor Day I have been at work looking at everything from lifts to locker rooms to class structure and how we do lineups and of course PPE...it has been a chore. (normally I’d start my full time seasonal position here in mid Oct.)

On the topic of masks, Ski Santa Fe will be issuing all employees masks that meets the state of NM‘s requirements for a face covering. the Masks will match the employee uniform with the areas logo. Inside crews will wear a fabric type of surgical mask, some employees in food service for example or working with children indoors might also be using a face shield in addition.

For those working on the mountain, including our instructors it will be a “Buff” like gaiter matching their uniform with the area logo. The Buff is generally viewed as a “minimal barrier“ but does conform to the health orders. Staff may double them up, or wear another type of mask underneath if they so choose, depending on their level of comfort.

All guests will be required to wear a face covering, and of course this includes during our classes which will be much smaller in size (max of 4 students). NM has no specific type of restriction, so imagine we will see everything from bandannas to N-95’s...

However, one of our challenges of being the ski area with the highest, or 2nd highest base elevation in North America with our parking lot at 10,350 feet and a peak well over 12K is Altitude Sickness. Many of our guests come from much lower elevations, and depending on the type of mask they choose this may impact them dramatically. For many from sea level, just walking up the steps from the parking lot is taxing, even if they are in good shape. Children, which seem to be the most susceptible, (adults tend to sit down at the onset of symptom) will need to be closely watched. Normally you can see it in their face/lips but with a mask...

In the past, the Ski Patrol may have offered supplemental O2, and still will if it’s acute, but otherwise due to COVID and limited bed space we will be asking guests to go back down the mountain as a remedy. In a class if a student can’t breath well and need to lower their mask we will ask them to move away from the class and sit down, get some water etc. then rejoin when they feel better. Not ideal, but Instructors cannot be in a position where others in the class feel unsafe, nor can we make medical judgments about whether someone needs to lower their mask to breath easier.

Other CSP’s in place are that classes will not intermingle, meaning that students cannot be bumped up or down after the class has begun. Lessons will be half day, either am or pm and Instructors may not ride the lift with students unless there is an absolute need and the instructor feels comfortable doing so.

Lots of info here, and hopefully gives some insight into one areas operations. On the topic of PSIA I know they have been coming up with some guidelines and strategies but as different states have different requirements I don’t expect to see specific policies or guidance, particularly on the issue on the type of mask etc.

It is going to be a different season in many respects, but the skiing itself, and the way we teach it will largely be unchanged.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online