• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, Am I the *******?

Am I the ******* in this situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not in general. I know the answer to that question. This concerns an incident today, and I want the group's opinion so I can modify my behavior if necessary. I went to Wachusett for my first day on skis this season. I boot up at the car and proceed to the lifts. Looking around, I notice that some people are riding the lift with other people. Some are riding alone. The lift line is single file and approximately 5 minutes long. I planned on riding the lift alone and proceed to do so. On two rides up, a solo person in front of me invites me to ride with them. I decline. On my last ride up, someone comes up to me and asks "Onesie?" I say yes, but I am riding alone. I hear some muttering about taking up more space than is allotted to me; and then, louder: "you are really being selfish." Flabbergasted and unwilling to engage in an argument, I say "Oh, OK."

After getting home, I checked Wachusett's website and it says:

• Capacity of lifts will be reduced to allow for physical distancing.
  • Guests will only be allowed on lifts with travelers in their party or as 2 singles on opposite sides; face coverings are required in the load area and riding the lift.

So the question is whether it is really impolite/selfish to ride alone on a chair when Covid cases are on the rise in Massachusetts. If so, I may have to further alter my plans for skiing this winter.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think people can stay chill about this and you should do as you feel safe doing. I have doubled up a few times on quads and bigger chairs, kept mask on. If someone declined to ride with me, as happened today, I think it rude to give them a hard time. Few will decline, and it doesn’t really add up to significant delays. I think someone just wanted to be judgmental.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
If it's a quad, I will ride with one other if they are wearing a mask, but I don't complain about anyone who wants to ride alone. Everyone should chill. Is it really that hard to wait a little longer for another trip down the WROD? What's gonna happen on a powder day?

mm

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Had me wondering the first day out too.
On a double by myself or with somebody in my bubble (a group I am already skiing with).
On a quad will travel with another single; you get your 1/2, I get mine.
Probably not what the Governor had it mind but it seems to work for everybody so far.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Even opposite ends on a quad may not be a full 6 feet, close though. I've seen posted COVID policy somewhere about a max of 2 strangers on a quad ends or gondola opposite corners. I'd ride with one other on a quad but not a triple or double. I rode a double solo for a couple hours where there was a horrific line cluster. Nobody said anything, but it was obvious that other non household folks were doubling up around me. I left way early because it just seemed to get worse and worse as the day progressed.

J_P

Booting up
Skier
my opinion: if anyone is rude to anyone else for making their own choice on how to act (provided that action is within posted rules for given venue and in no way placing another at increased risk) they're out of line. this is not limited to skiing.

Norther1

Putting on skis
Skier
I was there this morning as well. Someone tried to join me on the chair at one point but I just told him to go ahead ( I was there first, but not wanting to make a fuss, I just let him go first if getting up 10 sec faster means that much to him). He seemed somewhat surprised I didn't want to share but didn't really say anything. Long story short--I don't think you are out of line. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that some people will not want to share the chair with strangers this year.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
This will be a season long ongoing discussion item. Killington is going out of their way to accommodate single riders. They are going as far to ask single riders if they want their own gondola. As many of 50% on the singles today were taking them up on the offer. Even on the 6 pack lift they will give you your own chair if you want. Too accommodating but that is just my opinion.

Errand Wolfe

Ski like Stein
Skier
I think the type of person who would say that would also say "if you don't like it stay at home" to most COVID safety issues so IMO it is OK to retort with something along the same lines. Fight fire with fire.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
This will be a season long ongoing discussion item. Killington is going out of their way to accommodate single riders. They are going as far to ask single riders if they want their own gondola. As many of 50% on the singles today were taking them up on the offer. Even on the 6 pack lift they will give you your chair if you want. Too accommodating but that is just my opinion.

killington is doing an awesome job, I applaud their effects. Smuggs even made a comment in their early season posts about not being ‘that guy’ skiing solo on a powder day.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I hate people in general so I'm certainly on the "don't effin ride with me please!" bandwagon normally! :ogbiggrin: Having said that, we all know, risk of transmission outdoors with masks is relatively low. However, everyone has their own tolerance for this and nobody should be judgemental. Nobody knows my risk factors or that of my close contacts. And the rules put in place are for everyone's benefit. Newsflash, infection rate is not good. Don't take it personal, I'm not shaking your hand. That doesn't mean I don't respect you and honour the opportunity to meet you.

CraigBro

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have paired up on the K1 gondola both times I rode it. I can see this being more of an issue on weekends, but i just hit the lesser lifts to avoid any backup. Of course that is less convenient once more terrain opens up.

they do post that singles will be paired up on the Snowden six, but don’t flip out when you decouple post gates

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I ski there as well, and I'll ride alone if I feel like it. Sometimes opposite ends of a quad with someone I know. Yesterday I saw a guy with a good mask on just past the gates and I asked him if he minded us riding together, he said sure! Anyone who objects to someone wanting to ride alone is out of line.

What amazes me is how many noses I see, people I know, smart people, with their mask off their nose on the lift. I asked this one guy to pull his up (friend of mine) he did, but it didn't even go up over his nose.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would not ride with someone else (other than DH) right now. Too many people pull their masks down as soon as they are on the lift. You are not the a-hole in this situation. I won't even take my mask off on the lift. Bob is allergic to vape oil and has had allergic response to someone vaping 2 chairs ahead. Sometimes the wind is not in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online