• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So..... (looking for advice on a 6 week trip)

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
@DanoT already ahead of you on that - everything is 100% cancellable, my insurance also covers Covid cancellation/closure etc. Personally I think Canada's going to be OK - the US will be allowing exports fairly soon, and once we're done in the UK we'll be exporting everything we have as fast as possible.

Canada's real problem for drug purchasing is that getting anything out of the EU or USA right now is close to impossible, combined with EU production of Astrazeneca being massively underplan - but that's a story for a different thread

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
6 weeks at WB!! I don't think I'd be planning on skiing every day. That said there are lots of day trips and other things to do there too. Don't know how you're planning on getting around. Buses run regularly to and from Vancouver.

Some non skiing related items....the cultural centre in Squamish, spa's galore in WB, Snowmobile rides, Dog sled rides, XC skiing, snowshoeing. If there is an afternoon hockey game in Vancouver that might be something really different for you. Or make it an overnight stay in Vancouver.

Paging @Kiki !!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
6 weeks at WB!! I don't think I'd be planning on skiing every day. That said there are lots of day trips and other things to do there too. Don't know how you're planning on getting around. Buses run regularly to and from Vancouver.

Some non skiing related items....the cultural centre in Squamish, spa's galore in WB, Snowmobile rides, Dog sled rides, XC skiing, snowshoeing. If there is an afternoon hockey game in Vancouver that might be something really different for you. Or make it an overnight stay in Vancouver.

Paging @Kiki !!
Yes there is a ton to do in that area, but be warned that drive to and from Vancouver needs to be timed well to avoid traffic and is easily 2 hours each way. That said if I am paying a premium to stay at WB I would be trying work up to skiing 9 out of 10 days. If you are planning a lot of day trips you may want to book something in the Squamish area as that will be much more cost effective and a more manageable drive to and from Vancouver and still less than 45 min to WB.

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I know the issues around fighting through Vancouver downtown traffic - one of the reasons I prefer the AC flight times to the BA ones. Not planning on doing lots of day trips, but catching the Ice Hockey in Vancouver is definitely on the too do list. Probably a few trips to Scandinave will be built in.

We'll predominantly be using the buses to get around, at least locally, then play it by ear for everything else

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
A lot of posts about fitness and recovery, and not one wondering about spending 6 weeks in BC and only skiing at Whistler/Blackcomb?

WB is so vast - 6 weeks is hardly enough time to get a decent sample of the terrain. And everything changes with each new snow dump.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
No way you will be able to ski 5-6 days a week and not get super tired, physically and mentally.

Also, heavy weights for your legs, 6 weeks before you leave.
On a leg press 3 times your body weight minimum, then you'll not have sore legs at all. You'll still get tired though.

Hmmm... I regularly ski 6 of 7 on my long trips. Longest period without a day off was 25 days.

Seems to me maximising ski time over a long vac requires endurance rather than outright strength. Intro right (don't flatten yourself in the 1st week) ski the hours on a good mix of terrain and the legs (and buns) of steel will come.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
My longest stretch is 21 days. But that was after 70 days in the season before with a couple of 14 day stretches in there. After 21 days I drove home for a few days and immediately was stove up. I don’t recommend such long stretches without rest.

I very much agree that the issue is endurance rather than strength. But you will have a better and more productive time if you plan (and take) rest in there.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I very much agree that the issue is endurance rather than strength.

I guess it also very much depends on what you call "skiing".
Cruising the greens and blues, taking coffee and lunch breaks is one thing, bombing the reds and blacks like a maniac with 10 minutes stops-just enough to down another Red Bull-quite another. :ogbiggrin:

5 days in a row of 6-7 hours hard charging takes you comfortably out of the game for at least 2 days.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pilates. 2-3 times per week.
You may feel like it is not doing anything but when you get out skiing, you will realize the benefits.

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Cruising the greens and blues, taking coffee and lunch breaks is one thing, bombing the reds and blacks like a maniac with 10 minutes stops-just enough to down another Red Bull-quite another. :ogbiggrin:

5 days in a row of 6-7 hours hard charging takes you comfortably out of the game for at least 2 days.
While I "might" be able to bomb Euro reds and blacks for a day or two, my wife certainly can't (or won't - she simply doesn't find that enjoyable). So we're talking about WB Blues with the odd Black Diamond (Upper Dave Murray for example). Maybe if we get it right and develop the strength/technique I can get her out of her pure comfort zone - but that's part of why I'm asking for tips as to how to manage this length of time, given that up till now we'll have never skied more than half of this over a whole season (that's me, and only ever once)

dovski

Skier

Tony you must be European :roflmao: They don't have reds in NA just green, blue, black and double black. I would also argue that the social and culinary ski scene in Europe is far superior to what you find at most hills in NA, Whistler included. That said they do server Poutine slope-side in Whistler so there is that :) and for those who do not know the wonders of Poutine, possibly the greatest ski food ever here is a detailed description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Tony you must be European :roflmao: They don't have reds in NA just green, blue, black and double black. I would also argue that the social and culinary ski scene in Europe is far superior to what you find at most hills in NA, Whistler included. That said they do server Poutine slope-side in Whistler so there is that :) and for those who do not know the wonders of Poutine, possibly the greatest ski food ever here is a detailed description https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
I had poutine once. That is all

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony you must be European :roflmao: They don't have reds in NA just green, blue, black and double black.

Yeah, the steeper stuff, you know what I mean. :ogbiggrin:

What was poutine-potatoes with something on them? Cheese? I think I might have tried this once, not sure..

TS
Saintsman

Saintsman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah, the steeper stuff, you know what I mean. :ogbiggrin:

What was poutine-potatoes with something on them? Cheese? I think I might have tried this once, not sure..
In general I don't see there being a real alignment between Euro and NA gradings. There's blues in WB that would easily be reds, and maybe blacks in Europe. And then there's Black Diamonds in WB that would only be Blues in Europe.

There's some very real differences in how these things are judged/graded between the two continents

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Skiing nearly everyday is not as hard as it sounds. Have skied 151 days out of 158 days of resort operation taking off an occasional day to visit my 91 year old Mother. If you pace yourself and not try ski 60K of vertical everyday you will be fine.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did the OP say how old? 40s, 50s, 60s?

I'm retired and get to ski for weeks at a time now. I am in my late 60s. I find that after about 3 hard days I'm ready for a day off. If OP is considerably younger then maybe a day off every 5th day might be nice. If I just ski short days of 2-3 hours I can go for more consecutive days. The first day back after a rest day is usually pretty fun! Also, find age/skill appropriate ski friends. Skiing with someone far more aggressive than oneself can make even a partial day pretty tiring. Of course, skiing with good skiers sort of rubs off in a positive way.
PS: I have access to a private hot tub and use it several times per week. I think it helps with muscle soreness.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
dovski said:
possibly definitely the greatest ski food ever
@dbostedo I think crowning poutine as the greatest ski food ever is a little presumptuous.

You have overlooked the internationally renowned Sun Peaks' super sized Cinnamon Buns. The original recipe came from a local ranch wife who worked at the Tod Mtn (now called Sun Peaks) cafeteria in the 1970s.
From the comment section of my Unofficial Guide to Sun Peaks:
"Good report. But there is no mention of the sticky buns. They haven't stopped those for health considerations have they? They are fairly hard to resist when the breeze starts blowing the aroma around the hill in the morning. "

And then there are the sweet doughy Beaver Tails (as with poutine, another Canadian invention) available at Keystone, CO.

And more on topic, there is the Crystal Hut atop Blackcomb's Crystal Chair that has fantastic Belgium waffles.

dovski

Skier
@dbostedo I think crowning poutine as the greatest ski food ever is a little presumptuous.

You have overlooked the internationally renowned Sun Peaks' super sized Cinnamon Buns. The original recipe came from a local ranch wife who worked at the Tod Mtn (now called Sun Peaks) cafeteria in the 1970s.
From the comment section of my Unofficial Guide to Sun Peaks:
"Good report. But there is no mention of the sticky buns. They haven't stopped those for health considerations have they? They are fairly hard to resist when the breeze starts blowing the aroma around the hill in the morning. "

And then there are the sweet doughy Beaver Tails (as with poutine, another Canadian invention) available at Keystone, CO.

And more on topic, there is the Crystal Hut atop Blackcomb's Crystal Chair that has fantastic Belgium waffles.
@DanoT Oh no you didn't ;) I think you just showed us your true colors ... you are one of those "Sweet Canadian Skiers" whereas I on the other hand am clearly Savory :yahoo:
And let's be honest when it comes to drink pairings, a must for any self respecting ski food, you have a plethora of options with Poutine, whereas with super sized Cinnamon Buns you are relegated to fancy desert wines and brunchy cocktails with tropical fruit and umbrellas.

Last but no least Belgium waffles at a Canadian ski !?!!? :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online