• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sock confusion

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I have always been told to wear the thinnest socks possible with my ski boots, and that is consistent with what I've read on this forum. My feet get consistently cold now, so I started looking at new socks, and I am a bit confused about recommendations I see on the Internet. Many review sites (such as this one: Gearlab) recommend a midweight/fully cushioned sock. Never having had a fully cushioned sock, I'm a bit concerned about going that direction, but curious about others thoughts. I have new boots (Salomon S/Pro 120), so no volume to fill, and my feet don't normally sweat, so the superior moisture wicking of ultra-lightweight socks is likely not that big an issue for me.

Last edited:

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
the superior moisture wicking of ultra-lightweight socks.
I don't understand why a thinner sock would wick any better (or worse) than a thicker sock of the same material.

That said, socks cost about $20-25. Perhaps just try something different to see.

Bienski

Putting on skis
Skier
In a ski boot there ain’t nowhere to wick to. I would suggest adding more leg layers above the ski boot. If the blood is cool going in it’s not going to help much. Or boot warmers?

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It depends how tight your boot fit is. If I put even I slightly thicker sock it causes unbearable pain. If you can comfortably fit thicker socks, go for it.
Le Bent makes great thin warm ski socks
I stumbled across Le Bent looking for reasonably priced thin ski socks on Ebay. After trying them I ordered 3 or 4 more pairs. The ones I've got are a merino wool/bamboo blend and are surprisingly warm for their weight.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Warmth comes from blood flow. Be sure your feet aren't too tight inside the boots. Thicker socks may make the problem worse. Warm your head and core. The body will reduce blood flow and sacrifice extremities to keep the brain and core organs alive when very cold. Also effective are the neoprene boot covers, Bootglove, for example. These aren't as good as electric insoles or socks, but they are a definite improvement.

Igotsoul4u

Booting up
Skier
I have had good luck with Fox River Socks. They are considered light weight but I've worn much thinner socks before. These actually have warmth while remaining on the thinner side. I also have a thicker sock for truly cold days below zero and my boots can handle the extra fabric without becoming uncomfortable. I still prefer the Fox River Socks. My feet seem to stay ideally dry and warm. This is the pair I have. Bought a second pair because I liked them so much.

Another thing I realized is its best to put ski socks on right before putting on your boots if possible. Sometimes I get dressed at home and my feet end up sweating in the car.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some ski socks are pretty thin, however have cushioned thicker spots, such as the shin. Smartwool Ph.d for instance.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with @Bienski , I don’t see how ‘breathability‘ matters in a ski sock, since it inside a nonbreathable boot liner, which is inside a solid plastic shell!

As far as warmth of the sock goes, when changing form ultralight to midweight socks, that is a large percentage increase in thickness, but in an absolute sense, it is still a minuscule change of the total package , which includes ~8mm foam and a plastic shell, so, I doubt there is much difference to be noticed there, even if fit was not an issue.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For us the lenz 6.0 was a gamechanger, thin enough to ski, but warm. I use it for all -2c and down skiiing. that way I can ski for easy 4-5 hours in downsized boots without bothering to go indoors.

Received mine 2 weeks ago. Still haven't opened the box. They good? No problems washing them?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Received mine 2 weeks ago. Still haven't opened the box. They good? No problems washing them?
None. I wash them in the mesh bag they come in. Even without the mesh bag, there’s really nothing that can get damaged in the wash as the cables are completely enclosed in fabric, and the connectors for the batteries are snaps.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
they are worse than a regular good sock for feel, and you have to "twist" so the wires are where you have room in a race boot , but they work, its night & day especially for cold days. when you crank it, the 1800mah does not last a full day of skiiing, but I guess very few people ski 8+ hours at-15 and such.

last -18 dayc with 4 hours of skiiing before going inside I had cold HEEL not toe or foot, it was weird.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with @Bienski , I don’t see how ‘breathability‘ matters in a ski sock, since it inside a nonbreathable boot liner, which is inside a solid plastic shell!

As far as warmth of the sock goes, when changing form ultralight to midweight socks, that is a large percentage increase in thickness, but in an absolute sense, it is still a minuscule change of the total package , which includes ~8mm foam and a plastic shell, so, I doubt there is much difference to be noticed there, even if fit was not an issue.
Breathability is big deal in socks! Just like your base layer. You don't want the layer next to your skin retaining moisture, you want it transported to the liner. I wear liners in my gloves that are breathable and my hands stay 100% dry because just like your base layer you want the moisture to transport to outer layers so you are dry against your skin. Why don't you try some plastic long johns and see how that works for you!

Companies have spent millions on apparel technology to transport moisture away for your skin. Socks are no different!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have had good luck with Fox River Socks. They are considered light weight but I've worn much thinner socks before. These actually have warmth while remaining on the thinner side. I also have a thicker sock for truly cold days below zero and my boots can handle the extra fabric without becoming uncomfortable. I still prefer the Fox River Socks. My feet seem to stay ideally dry and warm. This is the pair I have. Bought a second pair because I liked them so much.

Another thing I realized is its best to put ski socks on right before putting on your boots if possible. Sometimes I get dressed at home and my feet end up sweating in the car.
I never wear the sock's I am going to ski in to the mountain! I want them bone dry to start the day!

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
In a ski boot there ain’t nowhere to wick to. I would suggest adding more leg layers above the ski boot. If the blood is cool going in it’s not going to help much. Or boot warmers?
Of course there is! To the liner! Just like a base layer you want the layer next to your skin to transport the moisture to an outer layer & not trap the moisture next to your skin! Now how well this all works is up for discussion, but worth having rather than not!

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always been told to wear the thinnest socks possible with my ski boots, and that is consistent with what I've read on this forum.

I'm a bit of a thin sock heretic, so excuse any typing errors caused by my wearing of a flame suit while composing this. ;)

IMO you should size and fit and buy new boots wearing very thin socks, because the liners absolutely will pack out to some degree, over time.

As the packing occurs, I believe it is better to move up a thickness in sock, so you get the same fit without the need to over-crank buckles, potentially causing hot spots, poor circulation, etc.

I usually go from "thin and still just barely fits" to medium to thick-ish over about 100 days on a set of liners. My experience with Intuition liners doubles those counts.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Breathability is big deal in socks! Just like your base layer. You don't want the layer next to your skin retaining moisture, you want it transported to the liner. I wear liners in my gloves that are breathable and my hands stay 100% dry because just like your base layer you want the moisture to transport to outer layers so you are dry against your skin. Why don't you try some plastic long johns and see how that works for you!

Companies have spent millions on apparel technology to transport moisture away for your skin. Socks are no different!
But the difference is that the gloves and pants that you wear over the baselayer are breahthable, so vapor has somewhere to go after ‘breathing’ through your baselayer.
The more correct analogy would be to wear a baselayer covered by plastic pants or gloves, that locks all the moisture inside, since that is what your ski boots(shell and liner) are doing.

In a skiboot that moisture has nowhere to go.

Alo, we have to make sure not to confuse breathability with moisture transport(wicking), that could lead to misunderstanding each other.
Breathabilty means the ability to let water vapor pass through unhindered
Wicking means the ability to pull liquid water from your skin, out to the outside surface.

Personally, I prefer merino for my ski socks, precisely becasue it doesn’t wick very much. Instead, it has the capacity to store a fair bit of moisture inside the fibers, and it doesn’t smell as quick. I find those two aspects most important in sock selection.

Like @Tom K. I start with very thin socks, and move up to lightweight if my liners are bit packed out. I replace my liners before I get to the midweight or heavyweight socks, haha!

Like @Atomicman I keep my skisocks warm and dry until I get to the hill.

I also use Intution liners, not only for comfort and performance, but also for warmth.
I don’t know that they are warmer than open celll foam (stock) liners when dry, but over time, the open cell liners will absorb moisture, and become less warm. Intuition is closed cell foam, so it always insulates the same, whether dry or wet. (I use them in my mukluks too).

Last edited:

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
But the difference is that the gloves and pants that you wear over the baselayer are breahthable, so vapor has somewhere to go after ‘breathing’ through your baselayer.
The more correct analogy would be to wear a baselayer covered by plastic pants or gloves, that locks all the moisture inside, since that is what your ski boots(shell and liner) are doing.

In a skiboot that moisture has nowhere to go.

Alo, we have to make sure not to confuse breathability with moisture transport(wicking), that could lead to misunderstanding each other.
Breathabilty means the ability to let water vapor pass through unhindered
Wicking means the ability to pull liquid water from your skin, out to the outside surface.

Personally, I prefer merino for my ski socks, precisely becasue it doesn’t wick very much. Instead, it has the capacity to store a fair bit of moisture inside the fibers, and it doesn’t smell as quick. I find those two aspects most important in sock selection.

Like @Tom K. I start with very thin socks, and move up to lightweight if my liners are bit packed out. I replace my liners before I get to the midweight or heavyweight socks, haha!

Like @Atomicman I keep my skisocks warm and dry until I get to the hill.

I also use Intution liners, not only for comfort and performance, but also for warmth.
I don’t know that they are warmer than open celll foam (stock) liners when dry, but over time, the open cell liners will absorb moisture, and become less warm. Intuition is closed cell foam, so it always insulates the same, whether dry or wet. (I use them in my mukluks too).
Yes I am talking breathability not wicking! I don't want damp socks! And yes, the moisture is absorbed by the boot liner and boots are not completely sealed or waterproof, again just like your base layer. It's actually pretty difficult to get the water vapor through the lining of an insulted jacket to the breathable outer layer. The important part is it gets through the layer next to your skin and that layer does not absorb/wick moisture. This is why I (and neither should anyone else) don't ski in cotton socks or cotton base layer. Gloves aren't really all that breathable either.

Last edited:

Nate L

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm a bit of a thin sock heretic, so excuse any typing errors caused by my wearing of a flame suit while composing this. ;)

IMO you should size and fit and buy new boots wearing very thin socks, because the liners absolutely will pack out to some degree, over time.

As the packing occurs, I believe it is better to move up a thickness in sock, so you get the same fit without the need to over-crank buckles, potentially causing hot spots, poor circulation, etc.

I usually go from "thin and still just barely fits" to medium to thick-ish over about 100 days on a set of liners. My experience with Intuition liners doubles those counts.

^^This. I've been wearing thin socks but started to get a little heel lift in the boot around Day 40 in those liners, so went to a thicker sock and no more lift. BUT, I did have to tweak the microadjusters on the bridge buckles for a looser fit over the top of the foot as the additional tightness reduced circulation and really made my feet cold. Boots and socks seem a perpetual exercise in trial and error, adjustment, more trial and error, and yet more adjustments.

Side note ... some of you might be surprised to learn that there are more than a few outdoor hockey players up here in Minnesota who skate without any socks at all on the coldest January and February days ... if you're working hard, which hockey players do, the last thing you want is a sweat-soaked sock acting as an absorbent sponge for that frigid air, and amazingly the feet can stay nice and toasty while completely bare in a skate even in subzero temperatures ... but you gotta skate hard to keep that blood pumping. :)

Sponsor

Staff online