• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is supposed to be a press conference at Squaw at 2 PM.
Not sure where the coverage is going to be but....
This news was reported within 1/2 hr after the incident. Its refreshing to see a major resort being candid in a tragic incident like this.
Here is the incident statement
http://squawalpine.com/explore/blog/incident-statement-january-24-2017

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
From the press conference mentioned by @Tricia , they believe the cause of death was the detonation of an explosive. There is a Go Fund Me. Please see below. Dear Lord.

(Squaw Valley, Calif.) January 24, 2017 – UPDATE 2:00 PM – Joe Zuiches, a 42 year-old resident of Olympic Valley and a member of the Squaw Valley professional ski patrol since 2012, was killed in a fatal incident at 8:35 AM this morning, prior to regularly scheduled operations, during avalanche control activities at the top of Gold Coast Ridge at Squaw Valley. The cause is believed to be the detonation of an explosive charge. An investigation is ongoing in cooperation with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office and North Tahoe Fire Department. Updates will be posted here as they become available.

The team at Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is deeply saddened by this tragic event, and we extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends affected. Joe is survived by his wife and infant son.

The Joe Zuiches Memorial Fund has been established and is available here through Go Fund Me.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I was puzzled at 9:20am today as I was on the way to Squaw. Luckly I stopped at McD's in Truckee and
with a laptop on their wi-fi saw a comment not explained that all lifts were closed. I missed their blog (posted above)
as it's not easily found so I'm sorry about the tragic death and my abrupt comment above..

At Sugar Bowl, which had excellent snow and deep light powder if you knew where to look,, over half the skiers I met
had redirected from Squaw. Many knew the problem. The packed snow was also great.

I heard from guests staying at Squaw that lifts were shown on the board about to run at 8:50am then closure
(actually never opening) was quick.

Sugar Bowl had one problem at 2:30pm which was handled very well. Electrical power went out to most or all
lifts. They fired up very robust diesels at each lift and continuing running the rest of the day at almost full speed.
Took 15 min to get Lincoln running and 30 min for Christmas Tree. I'm impressed.

Hindsight is that Mt Rose could be good as The Chutes opened, Slide lot was open and today was two for 1 Tuesday.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was working at True North today and was let go early because of a power outage. That was fine with me because we hit the road earlier than expected and are on our way to Denver for SIA.

As for the Squaw incident, Like most of us, I'm deeply saddened. I can't imagine.....just can't imagine.
I'm impressed and inspired by the way the community has come together to support the family.
As Mendieta posted above, there is a GoFundMe page to help with expenses, and a young son left behind.
https://www.gofundme.com/squaw-patrol-funeral-fund

The CNN report has the press conference
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/24/us/tahoe-ski-patroller-death/

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I was puzzled at 9:20am today as I was on the way to Squaw. Luckly I stopped at McD's in Truckee and
with a laptop on their wi-fi saw a comment not explained that all lifts were closed. I missed their blog (posted above)
as it's not easily found so I'm sorry about the tragic death and my abrupt comment above..

John, it was very thoughtful of you to share the fact that Squaw was closed, as it was likely to help others potentially on their way, make a decision. Who would have thought that such a sad tragedy had happened? I actually liked your comment immediately as I thought it was useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
According to Moonshine Ink, Squaw Valley received two separate fines related to the death of Ski Patroller Joe Zuiches.
One fine relates to hang cord entanglement during hang cord blasting operations, $11,250.00
The other fine, $9000.00, was issued because "The employer failed to ensure that all crewmembers maintained visual contact or awareness of physical location of crewmembers during avalanche control activities."

The article states that Squaw Valley plans to appeal the fines, stating that OSHA does not have jurisdiction.

I will report more as information is available.

Recap:
From this article in the Sacabee January 24th, Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley have had two other Ski Patrol casualties since 2009, one of which happened at Alpine Meadows in 2012, prior to the current ownership, where a 53 year old patroller died from injuries related to an avalanche during avalanche control operations. The resort was fined $20,000 for that incident.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hopefully this is a wake up call for squaw to invest money in automated avalanche control.
Gazex, automated bomb detonation, etc.

These are widely deployed in Europe, and only stinginess in the part of squaw is why it didn't have them, or more of them.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...The article states that Squaw Valley plans to appeal the fines, stating that OSHA does not have jurisdiction...

Now that's an interesting position. Can't wait to see the outcome.

Hopefully this is a wake up call for squaw to invest money in automated avalanche control.
Gazex, automated bomb detonation, etc.

These are widely deployed in Europe, and only stinginess in the part of squaw is why it didn't have them, or more of them.

I'm pretty sure that stinginess isn't the only reason. And what is automated bomb detonation?

Edit to add: Gazex are good, but they can't reach everything. There's a statement at the end of this about the need for hand-thrown charges:
http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/issw-2002-046-048.pdf

And by 'automated bombs detonation' do you mean towers? Same drawbacks as Gazex.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm following this closely because its an education for me on Ski Patrol practices and the tools at their disposal.
My background, prior to working in the ski industry was Excavation, Sewage, and Mining (re: gravel pits)
We had battles between who had jurisdiction over our gravel pits because MSHA (Mining Safety and Health Administration) and OSHA(Occupational Safety and Health Administration) would come through and give us a punch list of things to improve. Then the other organization would come through and cite us for something that we did because the other organization wanted us to implement.
There was a law suit by a big mine about this, which is when MSHA took over and OSHA didn't have jurisdiction.

As for ski area management and patrolling, I'm not aware of an alternate SHA that over sees patrollers and their activities.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Now that's an interesting position. Can't wait to see the outcome.

I'm pretty sure that stinginess isn't the only reason. And what is automated bomb detonation?

Edit to add: Gazex are good, but they can't reach everything. There's a statement at the end of this about the need for hand-thrown charges:
http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/issw-2002-046-048.pdf

And by 'automated bombs detonation' do you mean towers? Same drawbacks as Gazex.
Sure they can't be used everywhere, but you can easily add a lot more than today.

It will cost money, but is that more important than lives?

Obviously

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Any "rescue worker" --and ski patrollers are indeed rescue workers--by definition have to put their lives in danger as part of their job. Avalanche safety is an example. The employers of rescue workers have a duty to institute policies providing a reasonably safe work environment (e.g., not requiring firemen to run into a burning building when the building may imminently collapse). Well-intentioned employers sometimes don't do enough or are unaware they aren't doing enough, and are surprised by outlying events. We can only hope the awareness of this tragedy, the fines, and likely legal action(s) will improve the safety of those who work to keep us safe.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll bite. Lots of things but no one will die.

You're sure?

I'm curious if you or @Rod9301 have avy control experience. You know, with the weather, terrain, logistics, or snow conditions.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, "no one will die" seems rather optimistic.

Sponsor

Staff online