• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sun Peaks and Grandvalira added to Ikon pass

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2 new resorts added to Ikon pass - Sun Peaks and Grandvalira (Andorra)

@DanoT , Gathermeister?

Admin Edit to add Press Release
Shape  Description automatically generated with medium confidence

IKON PASS EXPANDS GLOBAL ACCESS FOR PASS HOLDERS WITH THE ADDITION OF GRANDVALIRA RESORTS ANDORRA AND SUN PEAKS RESORT IN BRITISH COLUMBIA FOR WINTER 22/23

22/23 Ikon Pass On Sale Now

DENVER, CO, October 4, 2022 – Skiers and riders have even more choices for winter 22/23 as the Ikon Pass community expands around the globe with the addition of Grandvalira Resorts Andorra and Sun PeaksResort in British Columbia. Ikon Pass is on sale now and offers more than 50 worldwide destinations, including five in Europe and nine in Canada.

With five additional new partners previously announced, Chamonix Mont-Blanc Valley in France, Sun Valley in Idaho and Snowbasin in Utah, Lotte Arai Resort in Japan and Panorama in British Columbia, members of the Ikon Pass community now have access to more than 50 iconic global mountain destinations in 11 countries across the Americas, Europe, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand.

“We are thrilled to give members of the Ikon Pass community more options to ski and ride in Europe and Canada this winter with the addition of Grandvalira Resorts Andorra and Sun Peaks Resort,” said Erik Forsell, Chief Marketing Officer, Alterra Mountain Company. “We love offering pass holders even more endless adventures in the mountains by expanding this global mountain community with new like-minded partners.”

“Grandvalira Resorts Andorra is the ideal destination for those who seek a new adventure at one of Europe’s largest ski resorts,” said Juan Ramón Moreno, Managing Director of Grandvalira Resorts Andorra. “Ikon Pass holders will love our spectacular views of the Pyrenees, expansive terrain, mountain activities, shopping, and our famed culinary traditions and unique culture of the country of Andorra.”

“As the second largest ski area in Canada, Sun Peaks Resort could not be more excited to join the Ikon Pass community”, said Aidan Kelly, Chief Marketing Officer, Sun Peaks Resort. “Our global destination is well positioned to provide strong value and hospitality for Ikon Pass holders at our easy-going, laid-back resort in the interior of British Columbia.”

Grandvalira Resort Andorra, Andorra: Grandvalira Resorts Andorra is the largest, most modern skiable area in the Pyrenees and one of the largest in Europe offering incredible terrain, multiple mountain activities and several villages with charming dining and shopping. This unique destination is made up of three Andorran ski resorts - Grandvalira, Ordino Arcalís and Pal Arinsal - with 215 runs, 123 lifts covering 7,599 acres, across the Andorran mountains.

Access: Ikon Pass holders will have access to seven days combined at Grandvalira Resorts Andorra’s three resorts with no blackout dates, and Ikon Base Pass holders will have access to five days, with select blackout dates. Grandvalira Resorts Andorra is also available on the Ikon Session Pass.

Sun Peaks Resort, British Columbia, Canada: Sun Peaks welcomes guests in search of a stress-free mountain experience and offers 4,270 acres of skiable terrain spread across three peaks, each with their own personality and easy access from its European inspired alpine village. Sun Peaks receives 20 feet of snow annually, and the mountains become covered with light, dry powder that is famous to the interior of British Columbia.

Access: Ikon Pass holders will have access to seven days at Sun Peaks Resort with no blackout dates, and Ikon Base Pass holders will have access to five days, with select blackout dates. Sun Peaks is also available on the Ikon Session Pass.

For all Ikon Pass products and pricing, please visit https://www.ikonpass.com/en/shop-passes.

IKON PASS BY THE NUMBERS

Destinations: 54
Continents: 5
Countries: 11
States: 15
Canadian Provinces: 4
Total Acres: 177,010*
Trails: 7,078
Lifts: 1,519
*Does not include CMH stats

Ikon Pass Destinations by Location

California
: Palisades Tahoe, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort
Colorado: Aspen Snowmass, Steamboat, Winter Park, Copper Mountain Resort, Arapahoe Basin, Eldora Mountain Resort
Idaho: Schweitzer, Sun Valley
Maine: Sugarloaf, Sunday River
Michigan: Boyne Highlands, Boyne Mountain
Montana: Big Sky Resort
New Hampshire: Loon Mountain
New Mexico: Taos Ski Valley
New York: Windham Mountain
Oregon: Mt. Bachelor
Utah: Deer Valley Resort, Solitude Mountain Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird, Brighton Resort, Snowbasin
Vermont: Stratton, Sugarbush Resort, Killington - Pico
Washington: Crystal Mountain, The Summit at Snoqualmie
West Virginia: Snowshoe
Wyoming: Jackson Hole Mountain Resort
Alberta, Canada: SkiBig3
British Columbia, Canada: Revelstoke Mountain Resort, RED Mountain, Cypress Mountain, Panorama Mountain Resort, Sun Peaks Resort
Andorra: Grandvalira Resorts Andorra
Ontario, Canada: Blue Mountain
Quebec, Canada: Tremblant
Austria: Kitzbühel
France: Chamonix Mont-Blanc Valley
Italy: Dolomiti Superski
Switzerland: Zermatt
Australia: Thredbo, Mt Buller
New Zealand: Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Mt Hutt
Japan: Niseko United, Lotte Arai Resort
Chile: Valle Nevado

Last edited by a moderator:

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Awesome that Sun Peaks is joining Ikon, at least for Ikon holders.

This enables a pretty neat loop starting and ending in Kelowna that hits up Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, Panorama, and Red. If I were doing such a trip I would also pony up and add days at Kicking Horse and Whitewater.

Alternatively, you could go one-way from Kelowna to Calgary and hit up Sun Peaks, Revelstoke, Lake Louise and Sunshine. Again, I would add in a day or two at Kicking Horse.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was just looking for flights. Sun Peaks is a PITA to get to from here. Here being close to NYC. Looks like the best bet is here to Vancouver then Kamloops.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just looking for flights. Sun Peaks is a PITA to get to from here. Here being close to NYC. Looks like the best bet is here to Vancouver then Kamloops.
Also checked Kamloops flight from here in DC area out of curiosity.

Requires Air Canada with 2 stops, most with some combo of Toronto, Ottowa, Montreal, Calgary, or Vancouver. At least 10.5 hours and most options 1-3 hours longer.

Flying to Kelowna gives you some 1-stop routes (the return to DC is faster, but going out, the 2 stop routes are faster). But you have a nearly 3 hour drive to the resort then.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Whoohoo my family loves Sun Peaks!! Really great family resort plus the opportunity to ski with 1968 GS women's Olympic Gold Medalist and Canadian ski legend Nancy Greene
Very nice addition to the Ikon pass and very reasonable prices. It is also only about 5.5-6 hours drive from Seattle. Village was designed by the same folks who designed Whistler, so super nice feel and lots of ski in ski out accommodation.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about the drive from Spokane to Sun Peaks and then to Revelstoke? How is that drive in the Winter? Are there a lot of passes to go over? Are the roads well-plowed?

I'm doing Spokane to Revelstoke and then back to Spokane this January. I opted to not fly into Calgary this time as I HATE the drive through Banff/Golden/Rogers Pass. Never again.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Also checked Kamloops flight from here in DC area out of curiosity.

Requires Air Canada with 2 stops, most with some combo of Toronto, Ottowa, Montreal, Calgary, or Vancouver. At least 10.5 hours and most options 1-3 hours longer.

Flying to Kelowna gives you some 1-stop routes (the return to DC is faster, but going out, the 2 stop routes are faster). But you have a nearly 3 hour drive to the resort then.

One option I saw is to fly one airline (Delta because we have miles) to Vancouver and then Air Canada to Kamloops. Like I said, PITA!

It's about a 5-hour drive from Vancouver?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool!! :golfclap::yahoo: It's under 5 hours drive for me to Sun Peaks. From Vancouver International Airport it's more like 4 1/2 hours, depending on the conditions and route.

I'll be in Sun Peaks for a ski camp Dec 9-12, and I think lift tickets may be included. I might be able to get the cost of tickets deducted from the camp, if not I'll have 7 more days available this coming season. Win -win.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been driving all morning and just saw the press release that was sent while I was driving so I edited the first post to add the press release.

Interesting to say the least.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One option I saw is to fly one airline (Delta because we have miles) to Vancouver and then Air Canada to Kamloops. Like I said, PITA!

It's about a 5-hour drive from Vancouver?
I'd prefer more flight time and less drive... either way it is definitely a pain. IMO, doable for a week long trip, but nothing shorter.

Of course, getting there through Vancouver for me takes 1 stop and 8+ hours for me, then that long drive (it is several hundred dollars cheaper though). I'd take 2 stops and a short drive from Kamloops instead, were I to go.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about the drive from Spokane to Sun Peaks and then to Revelstoke? How is that drive in the Winter? Are there a lot of passes to go over? Are the roads well-plowed?

I'm doing Spokane to Revelstoke and then back to Spokane this January. I opted to not fly into Calgary this time as I HATE the drive through Banff/Golden/Rogers Pass. Never again.
Spokane (GEG) is 7 hours plus, not the worst, not the best roads. SeaTac is under 6 hours, better roads. Bellingham (BLI) is 4+ hours.

Maybe fly into SeaTac, drive to Sun Peaks, then Revy and back to Spokane.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Oh No, there goes the quiet laid back Sun Peaks. :ogbiggrin:

OTOH, you can't name a mountain that spreads skiers out better than Sun Peaks and it's still not very convenient to get to (the convenient part starts after you get there as the village and runs and lifts are very well laid out).

Revy is 3 hours away and Vancouver Airport 4.5 hours, in good weather.

In the past there have been direct flights in winter, LAX to Kelowna, and then it is a 2.5 hour drive to Sun Peaks or about the same in a slightly different direction to Revelstoke. Both relatively good driving in winter as the roads are valley bottom, approx 1000'asl with no mountain passes.

I'm not sure if it still runs but the Ikon Pass may increase demand for a Saturday bus connection, SP to Revy ski bus departing from and returning to SP.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been driving all morning and just saw the press release that was sent while I was driving so I edited the first post to add the press release.

Interesting to say the least.
What I find interesting is Nippon Cable of Japan owns Sun Peaks as well as 25% of Whistler/Blackcomb so they stand to benefit from both Ikon and Vail Epic pass holders. Nippon=very smart operators, imo.

Also, here is a deal from the premium hotel at Sun Peaks, owned by Nippon Cable:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I skied Sun Peaks and really liked it. I know Robin would too. I'm thinking a week. Stay in the village while still affordable... good point made by local @DanoT . But I don't want to rent a car. Won't need one at all while there. So gotta find a reasonable way to fly into Kamloops I guess. Do they run shuttles from there?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You need to stop at Red (Ikon) on the way to Revy and Whitewater (non Ikon but gets 39' of snow annually and should not be missed). The highway between Revelstoke and Sun Peaks is low elevation and reasonably maintained (slightly better than the drive from Spokane to Revy.
Won't need one at all while there. So gotta find a reasonable way to fly into Kamloops I guess. Do they run shuttles from there?
Yes, lots of shuttles from Kamloops airport. I even think there are shuttle services that stop at Costco or wherever for groceries before heading to the mountain. Most people fly to Calgary, Kelowna, or Vancouver and then get a regional flight to Kamloops airport.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Just came back from Kelowna on Sunday....Kamloops closer to SP. It was a long time ago, but we flew Toronto to Vancouver, then Scare BC (thank God not around anymore) back to Kamloops. If it was Silver Star, then Kelowna.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
What I find interesting is Nippon Cable of Japan owns Sun Peaks as well as 25% of Whistler/Blackcomb so they stand to benefit from both Ikon and Vail Epic pass holders. Nippon=very smart operators, imo.

Also, here is a deal from the premium hotel at Sun Peaks, owned by Nippon Cable:

Another great source of rentals in Sun Peaks and Several other BC Ski destinations is https://www.alluradirect.com/
It has a nice selection of rental units. All prices are in Canadian $$ and service fees are much less than AirBnB or VRBO. We have had very good luck renting off there at Sun Peaks and occasionally Whistler. We are now friendly with several owners we met through this site and now rent from them directly if we go to Sun Peaks. That said we have not been there since before Covid, but are trying to figure out a time to go back. Having it on the Ikon pass is a big plus :)

Sponsor

Staff online