• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sweet Protection

dx111

Booting up
Skier
In my experience, if Smith fits well then Sweet Protection is not going to work. My head measures 60cm circumference, and a Smith Maze fits perfectly right out of the box in size L. Any SP helmet that I have tried on in the indicated size L takes force to even out on, provides an unrelenting vice grip and induces and instant headache.

Interestingly, their apparel seems to subscribe to the polar opposite philosophy of oversizing things dramatically (catering to american obesity trends?) so that I end up swimming in a size L jacket (unlike Oslo, CMP, Otis etc.) Spyder and 2117 also run large but not quite to that extent.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I picked up the Sweet Protection Trooper II MIPs this season because I have an oval noggin'. I am extremely impressed with it after 7 days of skiing. If you pick up a Smith Vantage/Maze and a Trooper II, the Smith will feel like a toy compared to the Trooper, the Trooper is much more substantial and thicker yet it has a low profile look. Its a solid helmet that is not feather-lite but ski's comfortably. Somehow the 2 small slide vents long your eyebrow do an excellent job, I have skied in on a day in the 40"s and 2 days in below zero temps and was comfortable with a thin beanie with ear flaps. I have a hard time believing the smith or other light weight helmets are as protective Goggle integration with Anon M2's is excellent, no gaper gap. The Trooper II also has a great goggle retention clasp as well as a class leading chin strap and clasp.

https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-...840049_color=MNGRY&cgid=All-mountain-freeride

Attachments

• tempImagefQaPf0.png
    tempImagefQaPf0.png
    829.4 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up the Sweet Protection Trooper II MIPs this season because I have an oval noggin'. I am extremely impressed with it after 7 days of skiing. If you pick up a Smith Vantage/Maze and a Trooper II, the Smith will feel like a toy compared to the Trooper, the Trooper is much more substantial and thicker yet it has a low profile look. Its a solid helmet that is not feather-lite but ski's comfortably. Somehow the 2 small slide vents long your eyebrow do an excellent job, I have skied in on a day in the 40"s and 2 days in below zero temps and was comfortable with a thin beanie with ear flaps. I have a hard time believing the smith or other light weight helmets are as protective Goggle integration with Anon M2's is excellent, no gaper gap. The Trooper II also has a great goggle retention clasp as well as a class leading chin strap and clasp.

https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-...840049_color=MNGRY&cgid=All-mountain-freeride

Did you own the Vantage? If so I’m curious how you’d compare the fit. I’ve had a L/XL vantage for a few years. Fits fine on the sides but a little tight front to back to with a pressure point on my forehead. I’ve been thinking about SP helmet but they are hard to locate in my area to try on.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have owned a Vantage, keeping in mind your noggin' isn't the same as mine, the fit is excellent but its an Oval fit and that's what fits my head, from what you are describing, you have a more round head.

You can order a couple different helmets from Backcountry. MooseJaw or REI and as long as you keep all the tags on them and original packaging, you should be OK to return them. Double-check. That way you can try them on with your goggles and Jacket.

FWIW- the brands I've tried recently and liked

Sweet Protection
GIRO
Pret.
Smith.
Anon

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
In addition to the Oakley lense comments and fit, the Anon 3's work reasonably well too.

The SP helmets felt definitely heaveir than my past helmets, but, as others mentioned, I am sed to it now and don't notice.

Steep and Cheap often has incredible pricing on SP helmets. I bought mine and my kids for 60%+ off retail.

Finally worth noting in case it wasn't addressed: SP offers a nice coupon in a crash event. So if you go down hard and tell SP/show them the helmet, they give you a big discount on your next buy.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Did you own the Vantage? If so I’m curious how you’d compare the fit. I’ve had a L/XL vantage for a few years. Fits fine on the sides but a little tight front to back to with a pressure point on my forehead. I’ve been thinking about SP helmet but they are hard to locate in my area to try on.

The SP Switcher is definitely a more round shape out of the box, but it doesn't have to stay that way... ;)

20191226_222921021_iOS (2).jpg

Gnorris2

Booting up
Skier
Late to the debate, but:
1) pick the helmet that fits your skull (duh!) ... in my case, the Sweet Protection Volata fit my lumps and bumps perfectly (or so it feels!). The Smith I used before gave me pain after a full day.
2) seem like MIPS is a really good idea, all else being equal ... lots to choose from with MIPS
3) I had better luck with the same goggle and helmet combo ... the Clockwork Max was a revelation with the Volata
4) your mileage will vary ... try on the only way to know

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January