• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tell me about this bike...?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I know zot about bicycles.
A buddy dropped this one off on his way to Mexico and told me I could ride it or sell it.
All I know for sure is the components are first rate and it weighs 17 pounds all up.
I need a bike like this like I need a hole in my head.
If it has 20 miles on it I'd be amazed.
Anybody have an idea of what it is worth or want to buy it?
IMG_4027.JPG
IMG_4028.JPG

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's got a good gruppo...complete Ultegra. The frame, no clue. Probably Chinese no-name carbon, same with rims. Looks relatively unused for sure. The bars are very high..I assume your buddy has back issues or some flexibility problems. If you find some one who is ok with the frame and wheels being no-name, maybe $2k? $2500? I'd flip the stem before trying to sell it..totally says old man bike now. :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, one thing for sure, in today's market, somebody wants that bike yesterday!

Frame size?

No details available from your buddy?

scott43

Skier
Yeah, like what's the gruppo alone worth in this market? I know a few people with no-name frames like that and they've been OK for them. The problem is, you just don't know exactly what you're getting.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
The bicycle appears to be very modern. Thru-axles, cable routing, seatpost diameter, and general tube shapes. The parts look great. The wheels appear to be "your average carbon clincher", so good as well. This is an unbranded frame with unbranded wheels, however, and won't be valued on the used market. This bike is going to be extremely valuable to the person who owns and rides it. This bicycle will NOT be AT ALL appreciated by the used bike community.

1. If the bicycle fits you, and you want to ride it, it's completely awesome.
2. If you want to sell the bike, it's probably only worth $500 more than the going price of the Ultegra group. So, ..$1300?

There aren't very many different bicycle frame manufacturer's in the world, so keep that in mind before evaluating any frame based on the decal. Or, in this case, lack of decal.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just because we don't know the frame, it does not mean it is not good..or even bad. I wouldn't completely dismiss it or be ready to immediately pull of the components. There are a lot of no name frames coming from China that don't suck.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that damage on the rear rim right by the front derailleur? You don't want to have damage to your carbon pieces. If that is cosmetic, then fine. If it is significant, then you will have another issue selling that. I second the rec to flip the stem. Looks very "old man". Not the message you want to send.

I'd go with Scott and Phil on this; price it as though it is something worth having. Back of on the price if you sense hard pushback.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there anything written or stuck on under the bottom bracket or bottom of the downtube that might provide a clue to frame make?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Is that damage on the rear rim right by the front derailleur? You don't want to have damage to your carbon pieces. If that is cosmetic, then fine. If it is significant, then you will have another issue selling that. I second the rec to flip the stem. Looks very "old man". Not the message you want to send.

I'd go with Scott and Phil on this; price it as though it is something worth having. Back of on the price if you sense hard pushback.

I think that's just a bright spot caused by specular reflection off the rim finish - it's the same tint and completely aligned with the bright spots on both the FD cage and the crank spider.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks like a very very nice bike.

Haven't seen a rim finish like that for some time...it reminds me of some of the Mavic wheels and it looks real nice.

That's a very nice bike by the looks of it. Very curios what brand the frame is, reminds me a bit of Cervelo Aspero but the seat tube is different, hmmm....

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I talked to my buddy and it is a no name Chinese frame ordered direct from China.
He thinks it came out of the same tooling as many name frames.
He said it is rated for riders up to 100 kg but I don't think that should be tested.
Now you guys have got me thinking I should keep it.....ogsmile

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I talked to my buddy and it is a no name Chinese frame ordered direct from China.
He thinks it came out of the same tooling as many name frames.
He said it is rated for riders up to 100 kg but I don't think that should be tested.
Easy come.. I'd keep it or maybe watch Nextdoor for someone who reported their bike stolen and just give it to them as a pay it forward for Karma points. Feels weird to sell something that was a gift, but sometimes that's what I'll do if that's the easiest way to make room for something else..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It looks kinda big. Of course most bikes look kinda big to me. Does it fit you? Would you know if it fit you?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at that bike, I'm thinking it could well be an Ignat.

scott43

Skier
But neither of you has explained what that means. The OP may have no idea.

Audience, audience, audience.
Sounds like he may keep it. Probably ok the way it is! :) Flipping the stem means removing the handlebar plate, loosening the stem clamp bolts lifting the stem up, turning it 180 degrees about its longitudinal axis, and reinstalling. It's a 7 or 10 degree rise right now, and if you flip it it will be a 7 or 10 degree negative rise stem. Makes it a more abgressive position.

Sponsor

Staff online